navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noisy immersion heaters  (Read 361 times)
Countrypaul

« on: May 14, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »

I have 3 x 3kW Immersion heaters in a 430L themal store, one near teh bottom, one slightly below mid way and one about quarter of the way down.

When any of them are in use it sounds like a boiling kettle, this is regardless of the water temperature, and being a thermal store is not due to scale build up (soft water area anyway and the TS contents are "permanent").

The TS is 600mm diameter and the imersions are all horizontal and I assume about 18-21" long.
There are no current problems with the TS other than the noise from the immersion heater(s).  The TS is located in a small under the eaves room off the guest bedroom, which until now has not been used so the noise has not been a problem.

Any ideas on how to eliminate or least least reduce the noise? I have seen special immersion heaters for sale that claim to be quieter (anyone tried them?), and also thought of reducing the voltage (and hence power) to the immersion (anyone tried this and if so how?)
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 02:29:37 PM »

Fit a solar thermal panel?

They are awesome, 30 tubes can generate over 1kW.

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 02:42:12 PM »

Timer switch, until the guests have got up in the morning?  A reduction in energy collection is not so much of a problem on sunny days at this time of the year?  No problem in the winter at all - unless the guests go for a nap in the middle of the day?

The problem is likely that they are high energy density immersion heaters.  Longer effective heating length is the answer, I would suggest, if the first option is unacceptable.
Philip R

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »

The power density of the heaters is too high, as oliver90 has alluded to.

When you pack in high power densities you move away nucleate boiling, as the delta T of the element to the water increases beyond a critical point, which sounds like what is going on.

Are your immersions single loop or a folded element design, i.e. a longer element folded into a shorter package.? The latter would be more desirable.

Also different sheath materials have differing surface fluid characteristics regarding boiling. I dont know which would be best. ( Our new kettle with a flat St/steel base is incredibly noisy compared to the previous element type kettle which operating at a higher surface power density.!?)

Philip R

Westie

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 05:23:21 PM »

I suppose you could use a PWM controller to reduce the power to level where the heating element didn't boil?

I realise burst control rather than PWM  is preferable but could be worth a try.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-ac-voltage-regulator-motor-speed-control-PWM-controller-SCR-4000W-dimmers-r/253928980064?hash=item3b1f58be60:g:XCcAAOSwGjtcbSbT

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »

I think the term is "ebullient cooling". The element loses heat by bubbles on the surface.

The bubbles are formed when the water boils, hence it's noisy like a kettle.

Logically a longer or larger diameter element would help, which reduces the heat flux i.e heat per square centimetre. Dropping down to 2kW would also help.

Another option is AC speed controllers which are cheap on ebay, as per Westie's comment. They would adjust the power from 100% down to 0%. I have used one to reduce the noise of a powerful wood dust extractor in my workshop.

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Stig

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 07:13:30 AM »

The cheap and nasty way to reduce heater power is to stick a diode in series.
Philip R

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 01:04:27 AM »

Stig,
the local DNO do not like customers pulling half wave DC of their supply as it can lead to uneven flux in the transformer core which in turn can lead to even harmonic currents flowing in the system. Not recomended!
Philip R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: