navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowest ever nuke output?  (Read 492 times)
dan_b

« on: June 13, 2019, 08:29:48 AM »

Noticed this morning that UK nuke output has fallen to just 3.7GW. Is that the lowest itís ever fallen?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:59:04 AM »

Dan,

I don't know, but where did you get the power info?

It won't stay low forever, smart EV charging pods are starting to use night time leccy which is nuke territory (they can't easily be switched off)

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
azps

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »

Noticed this morning that UK nuke output has fallen to just 3.7GW. Is that the lowest itís ever fallen?

It's the lowest believable recorded number since 2008 (there are blips in the data, but as there aren't any lower numbers lasting more than an hour or two, then I think those previous readings are just bad data). There's a good chance it's the lowest it's been for some decades.

dan_b

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »

I popped onto AZPS's site grid.energynumbers.info.
Fortunately wind is up to 10GW, but oil/OCGT is also back in the mix with 0.3GW.
Looks like the nuclear backbone has well and truly got a slipped disc.

4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »

There's a lot going on with them

https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/power-station/daily-statuses

Both Sizewell B generators are offline for reactor refuelling - due back online in about a month
Both Hunterston generators are offline as both reactors are having graphite core inspections - due back online in about 6 weeks
One Heysham generator is offline as its reactor is being refuelled - due back online in a week
Both Dungeness B generators are offline as both reactors are under inspection - due back online in about 3 months

4kW PowerVault Battery
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »

Looking at the generation stats and Theresa's bold net zero plan, we need to double the 6500 wind turbines and introduce wave/tide power - the waves and tide never stop.

Some dynamic load shedding would help. Plus massive insulation of old properties.

It's bizarre one cannot buy a hot fill washing machine or dishwasher.

Also ambitious building regs up to Passive House standards. Ground source heat pumps.

Electrify railways, improved road-rail container infrastructire, flying tax of £100 short haul - business would cope.

£500 vehicle tax on high power cars. Automatic speed limiters around built up areas. Blanket 60 limit on motorways - won't affect road haulage but cap them at 50.

Smart meters that charge at the half hour rate - might need some smoothing to prevent grid demand oscillation.

Compulsory smart power cuts - houses to have LED battery lighting for safety.

Ban single use packaging.

Fix, consume less and reuse training, eventual minimal recycling as it consume electricity.

Dig for victory, compost heaps.

There you go, the country sorted. That's my manifesto.

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

smegal

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:22 PM »

It's bizarre one cannot buy a hot fill washing machine or dishwasher.

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/ecare-8kg-1600-spin-dual-fill-digital-washing-machine/

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »

Thank you Smegal, I was playing devil's advocate and hoping someone would find one.  Smiley

We used to have a hot fill Bosch, but replaced it with a cold fill Bosch as they stopped selling hot fill machines.

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

sbchapman

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »

Fit a tee on your washing machine supply - open hot tap to fill, switch to cold once wash has started or before rinse
Been running this setup for 10yrs+ ... with solar thermal an easy way to use excess hot water in summer
Worth checking the machine will be OK though - recall mention that combis don't like hot pre-feed ....

* 20190613_142755.jpg (123.55 KB, 720x577 - viewed 85 times.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:38:02 PM by sbchapman » Logged

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
Tinbum

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

Thank you Smegal, I was playing devil's advocate and hoping someone would find one.  Smiley

We used to have a hot fill Bosch, but replaced it with a cold fill Bosch as they stopped selling hot fill machines.

Paul
I struggled to find one (and a dishwasher) but eventually found a company called ISE that made them. Very expensive but supposed to be very good, better than Miele and the like. They came with a 10 year guarantee. The company was started by a group of washing machine engineers that believed that could design products with out all the usual faults. Well they had design faults and the problems were always blamed on the customers. The service engineers could see the problems and were very helpfull.Then then they stopped coming out as they said they werent getting paid for their work by the company. Needless to say ISE soon went bust and the guarantee wasn't worth the paper it was written on.  

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
sbchapman

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 02:56:13 PM »

Forgot to add: my tee feeds both washing machine and dishwasher, though I suspect it doesn't make any difference to the dishwasher as it still seems to draw 2kW most the way through the cycle, even if filled with 65C+ water - though I havent actually metered to check.
In hard water areas I think it could reduce element limescale buildup too(?)

For what it's worth, both appliances are Miele, 10yrs+ old.

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 04:25:59 PM »

I've kept electric water valves from old machines. The plan is an Arduino to purge the cold water from the hot pipe, then feed that into washine machine. After 4 minutes switch to cold feed.

The user interface could be one purge button and an LED display of temperature.  The tricky bit is remembering to press the purge button.

Our dishwasher is permanently connected to HW.

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: