navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphs of a good solar day .  (Read 900 times)
dan_b

« on: May 15, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »

Yesterday was pretty damned good on the solar generation front, my second highest day ever, so here are some pretty pictures.

My generation curve is lumpy due to shading impact at various points of the day and as the West facing panels come into play in the afternoon, but my SolarEdge does the best it can.

It's interesting looking at my battery monitor graph for the day too - you can see my "run the dishwasher during the E7 period" electricity demand around 1am, where the import is being lessened by the maximum the PowerVault can push out (still had plenty of charge left when we went to bed).

Then you can see the battery starts taking charge around 6.45am as the solar wakes up.
At 7.10am someone uses the 3kW kettle (not me, I use my 1kW one to minimise import, which is the PowerVault export spike around 7.40am, but the rest of my family, not so much!)
Then after that, everyone leaves the house and the Powervault sucks up as much charge as it can - 800W is the charging limit on my system.  Happily, the rest of the solar generation is then grabbed hold of by my ImmerSUN up until just before noon when it's clearly heated up the hot water tank sufficiently.  So for the rest of the afternoon, we see occasional spikes of high grid export, with short periods of lower grid export as the ImmerSUN keeps the immersion ticking over topping up the hot water tank.  And also you can see the battery charging input tailing down as it reaches full charge by 6pm.

At 6pm, the family starts arriving home and stuff gets switched on, so the PowerVault starts discharging in response. TV, PS4, lights, computer, toaster, and microwave all kicking in throughout the evening.

All good fun I think.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 01:09:46 PM »

Dan,

Which device measures grid in/out power? It's quite fascinating to see the in/out flow during the day.

The cyan and blue lines were difficult to distinguish for me, but I got what was happening.

A cool feature would be knowing what each device consumed - then toasters, electric showers and tumble dryers would be abandoned en masse. Grin

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
dan_b

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »

So the graph showing import/export is the PowerVault monitoring portal. It's rather clunky and with everything jammed together on the same axis is hard to work out what's going on sometimes.  I fed back to them about 2 years ago that import and export should be in different directions on the y-axis as that shows current flow more intuitively, but they seem stuck on this visual representation.

I guess if every device had its own IoT IP or MAC address you could determine what device was doing what at any particular time automatically, or perhaps "smart plugs", or if you put current clamps on the supply cables to every device in the home and connected them all up to a custom monitor (like a EnergyMon) you could probably do that, but you'd have to be totally obsessed! 

4kW PowerVault Battery
Iain

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »

Hi Dan
Very similar
I see your Powervault charges at 800W (is that lead acid?)

Iain

* Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 13.58.28.png (60.07 KB, 822x349 - viewed 449 times.)

* Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 13.59.36.png (41.65 KB, 781x318 - viewed 442 times.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:47:49 PM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »

Good pioneering work chaps.

However I have always been skeptical of domestic battery storage. The only exception is no grid connection.

With 10% to 20% heating losses, battery degradation and replacement the costs are high.

Better to have a smart National Grid, dynamic load balancing and steady reduction in national consumption in line with 2050 targets.

New systems should get paid 100% for exported kWh, then you don't need domestic storage. Simples!

If there is too much renewables we could charge up the Dinorwig pumped storage, roughly 2GW.

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

dan_b

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »

Yeah, mine is a 4KW lead acid model - I was a very early adopter -  so it charges at a max of 800W but can discharge at a maximum of 1100W.  It seems low (certainly compared to the Powerwall!), but it does mean that on a good day like this there's enough surplus to be able to heat the ImmerSUN as well as charge the battery.

Hi Dan
Very similar
I see your Powervault charges at 800W (is that lead acid?)

Iain

4kW PowerVault Battery
pantsmachine

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »

Looks good Dan, epic time to have no meters turning while NG and govt think about how to not implement renewables further. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:34:40 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
dan_b

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 01:39:24 PM »

Ha yes indeed. Crazy isn't it. Especially when you consider how much progress the UK actually has made in offshore wind in particular. banghead

4kW PowerVault Battery
dimengineer

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 04:05:07 PM »

Dan,

Which device measures grid in/out power? It's quite fascinating to see the in/out flow during the day.

The cyan and blue lines were difficult to distinguish for me, but I got what was happening.

A cool feature would be knowing what each device consumed - then toasters, electric showers and tumble dryers would be abandoned en masse. Grin

Paul

I'm going to disagree with yur last sentence a bit. The numbers might make people think, and educate them some, but I don't believe for one second that the'y abandon showers, or toast. What other ways of getting hot water are there? Of making toast? I agree with Tumble dryers. Devils spawn. Whats wrong with old fashoined clothes lines?

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 04:36:16 PM »

Dan,

Toast and marmalade - yum yum  Cool

Make your own bread (with electric while the sun shines) and the loaves come out hot. It's not crunchy, but warm homemade bread is really nice.

Navitron have a great range of solar thermal panels - our 30 tubes give free hot water April to October. Sunny winter days will make the water warm enough for a shower. Our electric shower was toast (ha ha) soon after the solar thermal panel was plumbed in.  I replaced it with a gravity shower and pump, saving 8.5kW.

My grandmother had twin washing lines! We raised 3 daughters and have never owned a tumble drier and never will.

We had it rough. Baths in the kitchen sink, mum and gran said they slept in the Anderson shelter when the bombs dropped.

Paul

PS All true.  Grin

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

dimengineer

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »

Dan,

Toast and marmalade - yum yum  Cool

Make your own bread (with electric while the sun shines) and the loaves come out hot. It's not crunchy, but warm homemade bread is really nice.

Navitron have a great range of solar thermal panels - our 30 tubes give free hot water April to October. Sunny winter days will make the water warm enough for a shower. Our electric shower was toast (ha ha) soon after the solar thermal panel was plumbed in.  I replaced it with a gravity shower and pump, saving 8.5kW.

My grandmother had twin washing lines! We raised 3 daughters and have never owned a tumble drier and never will.

We had it rough. Baths in the kitchen sink, mum and gran said they slept in the Anderson shelter when the bombs dropped.

Paul

PS All true.  Grin

Do you not shower October to April?  Smiley

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 10:37:13 PM »

Ha ha, we run around outside when it rains and snows.  laugh

I begrudgingly turn on the gas boiler for an hour, if the water is cool in the winter. The thermostat is cranked down to 45C which is warm enough for showers.

Even on a cloudy day the water can get half way, like 30C which saves some gas.

We are convinced a solar thermal panel + PV panels should be on every house. A hot water cylinder is a convenient and cheap battery - storing today's heat for a cloudy tomorrow.

Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

langstroth3

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »

So the graph showing import/export is the PowerVault monitoring portal. It's rather clunky and with everything jammed together on the same axis is hard to work out what's going on sometimes.  I fed back to them about 2 years ago that import and export should be in different directions on the y-axis as that shows current flow more intuitively, but they seem stuck on this visual representation.

I guess if every device had its own IoT IP or MAC address you could determine what device was doing what at any particular time automatically, or perhaps "smart plugs", or if you put current clamps on the supply cables to every device in the home and connected them all up to a custom monitor (like a EnergyMon) you could probably do that, but you'd have to be totally obsessed! 

Sounds like you've been using PowerVault for a while. Pleased with the savings? I'm thinking of getting one myself (4kw array on roof), so just curious.
Any thoughts on the GridFlex aspect that the likes of EDF offer?

Solar Thermal = Navitron 40 (20 x 47mm) Evacuated Tubes.
Solar PV = 4kWp, 16 x 250w znshine; sb4000tl inverter
dan_b

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 05:09:46 PM »

Sorry only just read the reply!
Had the PowerVault since Dec 2016.  Have kind of got used to the idea of what it can and can't do with its 4kWh capacity - but I get an average of 110kWh out of it every month which I would have otherwise drawn from the grid and I've dabbled with E7 charging a bit.  My model of Powervault isn't the new shiny PV3 so the controls are not as sophisticated (doesn't have GridFlex). 

I went into this knowing full well I was at the early end of the early adopter curve so was unlikely to be as a financially sensible "investment", but I've learned a lot, I've participated in two DNO trials with the battery so the industry is learning a lot, and I feel like I'm doing something else to be a bit less of a heavy consumer.   It still allows my ImmerSUN to work too, which is great as at this time of year I also get a full tank of hot water for free as well.

4kW PowerVault Battery
bleem2k

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

Still early days with my panels but best day y/t/d was 27th June - https://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=69928&sid=62139&dt=20190627

No battery (yet!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: