navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DeltaSol BX setup  (Read 2712 times)
Zhao

« on: July 17, 2019, 10:05:34 PM »

Hi. I have had a solar hot water system installed about 8 years ago.  I don't know how long it wasn't working properly but I've now had the 24 evacuated tubes replaced under warranty.  All had burst.

Anyway, I have the DeltaSol BX controller manual and there is something I don't understand.  The solar water recirculates into my main hot water cylinder driven by a pump.  The hot water cylinder also has a 3kW heater to top up the heat as necessary.  But in the middle of winter where I now am, it was doing nothing even though the top of the cylinder sensor was recording about 45C.

I've set the controller to profile 3.  Default setting for AH O is 40C, AH F 45C, and t1O 06:00, and t1F 22:00.

What settings do I need to make it so the water is about 50C at night? ( I only really want hot water for showers at night time.  I don't need supplemental electrical boosting during the day.)
Also, how do I setup the OTDIS so I can sterilise the tank of Legionella?

Thanks!
Zhao

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 09:27:54 PM »

My guess is that t1O and t1F are the times when an electric boost are possible.
AHO triggers if the top of the tank temperature is below this value, and AHF is the maximum temperature that one wants.

So, with a solar hot water system, I want the boost to come in the afternoon after the sun is down.  

So, t10 = 16:00 t1F = 19:00, and AHO = 48 C, and AHF = 52 C.  Something like that.  
The default would have the boost operating all day which doesn't make sense, as it wouldn't allow for any heating from the sun to be used.

that sound correct?
chris wills

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »

I always have my immersion heater temps from AH0=60 & AHF=62 to protect for legionnaire, so if at anytime the tank temp does not reach these numbers, then on comes the heater to boost it.
I also change the time loops, dependant on the weather.
So for example, if the sun is out all day and the tank is nice warm then it makes no sense to run the heater during this time, you only want a top up at night. Mine is currently t10=22:00 and t1f=03:00, I don't really care about the delta length of time, it doesn't matter, just get the tank temp up.
If in the winter, and not  getting much heat then adjust it to come on earlier to suit your lifestyle.
Zhao

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:56:29 AM »

The other complication I didn't mention is that I recently installed PV panels as well.  Unfortunately, the panel orientation is North East and the evacuated tubes orient to North West in the Southern Hemisphere.  Ideally, they should be around the other way so that if the water weren't hot enough it could still be heated by the power generated by the PV panels.

I don't really want to heat the water to 60 deg except just for disinfection.  There is a disinfection mode OTDIS but the manual is opaque on this as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: