navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar thermal not circulating  (Read 5875 times)
Tinbum

« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2019, 10:45:41 PM »

Also Chris has mentioned that when the immersion is on, water drips from an over flow, that's a sure sign that an EV has lost its charge or is too small to accomodate the expansion. Although it is not clear which over flow Chris is refering to, also quite why the immersion would affect the solar loop is a bit confusing, through the heat EX maybe?.

Desp

Pretty certain that is the DHW cylinder one.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
chris wills

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »

Time to buy a couple of pints for your local plumber. I have 3 of these but I live hundreds of miles away. You can even fill the system at midday when it is boiling with this. the pump pressure is too much for the air or steam so it blows it around the system and out into the container. You could make one yourself if you had a normal pressure pump.

Update and hopefully the final one............

I asked a local plumber to take a quick look, he suspected the pump immediately and removed it to test, he said it was all fine. He also said there was nothing wrong with the expansion vessel, he gave it a few taps, tested the schrader then that was it.
He had a long think and before putting the pump back on he asked which way round it went, luckily I had a picture to show him. He reckoned it was the wrong way round, so we tried it......all perfect, flow came through and in 5 mins was hot, I know have it all working perfectly.
When I changed the pump over, I copied the direction of the original one which did not work, or so I thought.

Thanks to everyone for there for help on this, its much appreciated.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2019, 09:22:07 PM »

TFFT. We’ll all heave a collective sigh of relief Chris.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »

Stann an wan.
        I was just gonna say that very thing.
 extrahappy
      Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2019, 10:03:54 PM »

During this saga, my own solar system sprouted a leak, at the screwdriver slot of a pump-isolating ball-valve. That’s not repairable. I replaced them with unions with gate valves after a plumber said they are more reliable.
Stan
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:08:15 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
ecogeorge

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »

TFFT. We’ll all heave a collective sigh of relief Chris.
Stan

Hooray  ............at last .......... well done .
donegal

« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2019, 12:53:34 AM »

Chris,

You are now 'the expert' on your own system, i admire your perseverance and it will pay off if you have a solar problem again

Tony
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2019, 06:04:26 AM »

Hurrah, well done Chris.
What will we all discuss now! hysteria

An epic tale of perseverance.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Tinbum

« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »

I'm really surprised as I looked at the pump in the first page of the thread and it looked correct. I would expect the hot water from the roof to go into the top of the coil in the tank.  Huh Huh

Is the temp sensor on the panels on the wrong end?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:27:15 AM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
chris wills

« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2019, 09:45:16 AM »

I'm really surprised as I looked at the pump in the first page of the thread and it looked correct. I would expect the hot water from the roof to go into the top of the coil in the tank.  Huh Huh

Is the temp sensor on the panels on the wrong end?

What I now see is the temp being sensible and not in the 100's, maybe that is the case with the temp sensor, but I'm not touching anything for now.
At the end of the day, I'm getting hot water for free.
Thanks for the message though, maybe one day I will look at it lol......
Tinbum

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »

When we were discussing the mounting location of the pump at the very beginning I did look at the way the flow was going through the pump and it was correct.

The system has probably either not worked at all right from installation, unless the pump had been installed the wrong way round and then when you changed it you actual put it in the correct way.  laugh

The flow and return have probably got crossed on the way up to the roof.

chris wills

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »

I only have water in the system for now but have been advised to change it for glycol ASAP.
Can anyone recommend a good brand and typically how much I would need. I can then get it pumped in.
TT

« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »

Fill with water, enure no leaks.
Drain down contents into buckets to measure capacity
Add 40% glycol mix
Countrypaul

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »

Since Navitron sell solar kit, they should be your first port of call I would have thought.
rogeriko

« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2019, 11:52:45 PM »

My question is.......A solar thermal system is Bidirectional.   The panels can be connected either way round, so can the coil in the tank, so why?Huh?? Huh??    stir stir

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: