navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar thermal not circulating  (Read 6142 times)
chris wills

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2019, 01:11:34 PM »

I bled it for about 15 mins. Occasionally water would shoot out. I left it bleed until no air but had no water either at the end. Topped pressure up and now await the sun

edit.
Added more pressure and bled again. Water running freely.
Still waiting for the sun

Edit
Suns out. Pipes cold......damn
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:46:59 PM by chris wills » Logged
chris wills

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2019, 07:29:47 PM »

Is there anyway that the air is being reintroduced into the system.
I honestly thought I had cracked it.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2019, 07:54:08 PM »

I suppose that you havenít left any of the valves closed, such as the pump valves?
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
chris wills

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »

No pump valves are open
Philip R

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »

Can you confirm that the Expansion vessel diaphragm/ bladder is not punctured.

Philip R

chris wills

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »

How do I check this?
Tinbum

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2019, 09:59:57 PM »

Can you hear stagnation (water boiling) in the tubes?

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
ecogeorge

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2019, 10:06:42 PM »

I bled it for about 15 mins. Occasionally water would shoot out. I left it bleed until no air but had no water either at the end. Topped pressure up and now await the sun

edit.
Added more pressure and bled again. Water running freely.
Still waiting for the sun

Edit
Suns out. Pipes cold......damn
what controller do you have ? Assume the  collector temp is high ? is there a display to show or say the pump is running ? is the pump running ?
george
chris wills

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2019, 07:53:31 AM »

The pump is running fine. I can feel it and have removed the bleed. Itís seems to be spinning  

Canít hear any water boiling. The pipes at Luke at best but the collector temperature goes over 100 degrees easily.

I have a Resol Delta Sol BS controller.

Here is a pic of the controller:

* pump5.JPG (22.75 KB, 296x416 - viewed 169 times.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:18:44 AM by chris wills » Logged
Westie

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2019, 02:25:35 PM »

How do I check this?

Phil is right, you really have to check the accumulator now.   Easiest way is to release the pressure on the loop by opening the bleed or the drain and leave it open, then  pump the bladder in the accumulator up to around 0.5 to 1 bar, leave it 24 hrs and recheck the the pressure has held, if it hasn't the air is leaking out of the bladder into the water loop.   Most accumulators (ie. pressure vessels) have a standard schrader valve at the top , you can use a bycycle pump and a tyre pressure gauge to set/check pressures.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
chris wills

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2019, 04:56:31 PM »

Yes I will try it next to be sure its OK.
So I drain the complete system? There is an overflow that it release into, maybe some antifreeze left so I will capture it all.
Is it OK with a dry system for 24 hours, I wont damage anything will I?

Here is an image of my expansion vessel, you can see the schrader on top so it should be easy.

I have noticed something, when the immersion heater kicks in (I set it for 16:00 to 03:00 when there is no warm water, so that's all the time!!) I can see a constant drip coming out of the overflow, is this normal.

I don't have any pressure loss at all in the tank.

* pump6.JPG (32.91 KB, 427x333 - viewed 166 times.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 05:03:00 PM by chris wills » Logged
Westie

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »

Yes I will try it next to be sure its OK.
So I drain the complete system? There is an overflow that it release into, maybe some antifreeze left so I will capture it all.
Is it OK with a dry system for 24 hours, I wont damage anything will I?

Here is an image of my expansion vessel, you can see the schrader on top so it should be easy.

I have noticed something, when the immersion heater kicks in (I set it for 16:00 to 03:00 when there is no warm water, so that's all the time!!) I can see a constant drip coming out of the overflow, is this normal.

I don't have any pressure loss at all in the tank.

I would throw a sheet over the tubes to stop them heating up, I would also just open the bleed valve on the collector, some water will get pushed out/lost.

I'm assuming your DHW system is vented with a cold water cistern feeding the hot tank, if the overflow runs that implies hot water is getting pushed back up into the cold water cistern (via the expansion pipe) and raising the water level enough to make the overflow drip.  Try adjusting the ballcock so the cistern stops filling about 40mm below the overflow outlet.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
chris wills

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:26 AM »

I don't have a cistern or tank (excuse my descriptions), the tank just tops up from mains when its low, I'm not sure of the exact way in which it does this and how it is set up, but I do not have a ballcock to move, like a conventional header tank type setup.

Tinbum

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »

From you other posts it looks as if yours is a pressurised system so you won't. The top red tank is the expansion tank.

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30618.0;attach=12286;image

It will be the over pressure release valve leaking either through dirt in it , faulty or your system is overpressure. You are superposed to turn the knob on them once in a while for maintenance..

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
chris wills

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2019, 01:21:54 PM »

I have a small red knob on the end of the pressure gauge, so I guess this is it.

Beginning to think more and more that the pressure vessel is faulty.

Recap - when I bled the panel at 10pm last week of all air (actually just took the cap off and let water out) I was able to manually pump cold water around the system and cooled the tank down.....so....I thought.......when its hot it will warm it up!!!!! It didn't!!

So the vessel may be letting air in to the system again s you guys have said.

I did read that if I pressed the valve down and water came out that the vessel is knackered...is this right?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: