navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowest ever gas gen level on the Grid?  (Read 194 times)
dan_b

« on: August 18, 2019, 10:56:05 PM »

Just popped on to Grid energy numbers - as you do on a Sunday evening whilst waiting for your PC to do some updates - noticed a fair few impressive numbers, which got me thinking...

This evening (11pm on Sunday),
Total demand - 25.4GW  (pretty low)
Wind - 11.3GW (pretty darned high)
Nuke 5.8GW  (climbing back slowly after a period)
Coal - big fat zero (yay!)

Hydro (0.5GW) , Drax Biomass (1.6GW - they do burn a lot of trees don't they?)  and interconnectors (2.4GW overall) for a total of - 4.4GW

Which leaves Gas at a really very low indeed 3.9GW.

So what's the lowest ever Gas generation we've had on the Grid? Both in terms of actual minimum GW output, but also in terms of overall % of generation?
This seems pretty darned low to me? 

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
azps

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:08:26 AM »

So what's the lowest ever Gas generation we've had on the Grid? Both in terms of actual minimum GW output, but also in terms of overall % of generation?

On the afternoon of 26 May this year, gas hit 2.9 GW in period 31 (15.00-15.30), at a time when total supply was around 29.2GW . At the time, wind was 11.1GW. nuclear 6.2 GW, imports 3.2GW, PV 3.8GW, biomass 2GW, coal 0. That's probably the lowest - I'll check again tomorrow.

Gas has been lower in absolute terms, and lower as a proportion of overall demand, but that was back when coal dominated; and I figured that was you were getting at, was the lowest fossil-fuel generation on the Grid.

oliver90owner

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »

Saturday afternoon, with heaps of solar, looks even lower on Gridwatch?
azps

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 09:19:45 AM »

Saturday afternoon, with heaps of solar, looks even lower on Gridwatch?

Ooh, hang on, let me download the latest data ...

... and 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... I'm back in the room ...

Yes, that's right. Lower in absolute terms, and as a % of total supply. Period 31 (15.00-15.30) again; 2.6 GW gas, 28.4 GW total supply, 11.4 GW wind, 6.2 GW PV, 5.8 GW nuclear, 0.9 GW biomass, net 0.9 GW imports

dan_b

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:45:14 AM »

I seem to remember that National Grid has published its strategy for having zero carbon generation periods on the Grid by 2025.  With numbers like 3GW of gas creeping in now in 2019, then if Nuke gets back up to the 8GW region where it's meant to be and we keep plopping offshore turbines in the sea at the same rate, plus another 3 or 4 HVDCs scheduled to come online that seems both completely feasible and also probably conservative as an achievable target?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
nowty

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:17:12 AM »

According to the Gridwatch data, Gas (on a zero coal day) was lower last year overnight on 26th / 27th Aug 2018 at around 2.4GW.

But that was overnight on Sun / Monday of the late Aug bank holiday so especially low demand and nearly 2GW more nuclear last year, so last Saturday at 2.6GW was impressive enough.

11kW+ of PV installed and 54+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
250,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: