navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Octopus Energy Agile & GO Tariff analysis website  (Read 21184 times)
nowty

« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »

So I got in touch with Octopus to see if I can try out Agile for a few weeks and if it doesn't work out for me could I switch back to Go without penalty.

They said yes, so I've just swapped from Go to Agile to get in on these plunge prices tonight!

You should be able to swap as there is no exit penalty, but you do risk the Go tariff changing to worse terms before you opt back in. Only once your on it, its guaranteed for 12 months.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
290,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
brackwell

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »

The prices we see are the spot prices brought about by the necessaty to buy or sell to balance the supply/demand. The major contracts are done yrs,months and days ahead. If the suppliers produce/supply more than their contract then they have to sell on the open market hopefully to someone who is unable to fulfill their contract. The price will drop to the point where a deal can be done or increased demand can be stimulated eg EV,pumped storage,Interconnectors  or someone can reduce supply and buy at the cheaper spot price.  In one sense i guess EVs and other storage can easily act as a price stabaliser. 

People banking on negative prices are up against a very experienced trading system, but who knows these are changing times.
Sprinter

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »

I changed my charging schedules yesterday to have a look at how we cope with batteries between 16:00 > 19:00 peak period, i have not told the wife i have done this as it makes no difference what i say, advise, persuade or cajole, that woman is not for changing her ways  Sad

But i guess that over the next few days of testing i will get an honest evaluation of how the batteries cope with this period, and based on what i see i may well switch to the agile tarrif, which will mean getting a smart meter fitted though.
Zarch

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2019, 01:00:56 PM »

I was asked if I could add the daily Agile pricing in table format.

Whilst I can't guarantee I can add everything asked for, this one seemed to work out ok.

So I've added table based pricing as an alternative to the graphs/charts to each of the 14 DNO regional Agile and Agile Outgoing pages.

For example: https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-yorkshire/

Hope this helps folks.

17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
Visit my Energy Stats UK website project showing historical and current energy data and graphs.
Currently big on data from Octopus Agile and Go tariffs.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »

What's the highest rate that Agile has gone to?
Tomorrow at 4.30pm its 33.25p/kWh, which sounds pretty spendy?

I must admit the novelty of Agile is starting to wear off on me now, having to check every day for the rates and then changing the battery charge times and washing machine/ dishwasher run programs accordingly.  It requires a lot of management! 

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
RIT

South West London

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »

What's the highest rate that Agile has gone to?
Tomorrow at 4.30pm its 33.25p/kWh, which sounds pretty spendy?

I must admit the novelty of Agile is starting to wear off on me now, having to check every day for the rates and then changing the battery charge times and washing machine/ dishwasher run programs accordingly.  It requires a lot of management! 

Just make sure that you keep out of the 4pm-7pm range as that is their 'peak' time and get on with life. As long as you use a fair amount of electricity each day outside of those hours it is currently one of the lowest, if not the lowest cost tariff for electricity. For their gas tariff they can be under cut and I may split my providers in the new year due to this as they have no exit charges.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
nowty

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2019, 09:54:54 PM »

That's why I prefer Octopus Go, the cheap rate is on average cheaper than Agile and I can fit the whole days leccy into the 4 hour cheap slot so no need to change anything on a daily basis.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
290,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2019, 10:09:45 PM »

Yeah so Iíve basically been trying to ensure my little PowerVault is fully charged and ready for the 4-7pm peak in order to cover that as much as possible, whilst trying to charge it at the cheapest rate - the round trip efficiency isnít class leading and it only charges at a max 700W so it needs more than the 4 hours on Go to get a decent charge and to last through the day. 
Maybe Iím trying too hard!
I notice the standing charge on Agile is lower than Go though which is good.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
phoooby

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2019, 12:47:23 AM »

Apparently there is now a 'Go Faster' tariff being trialled. 5 hrs at 5.5p and you choose the 5 hrs from 8.30 pm onward but has to end before 6am. Other option is 3 hrs at 4.5p on the same timing restrictions. I assume the remainder is at the same Go peak rate but not looked on the website yet to see the detail if there is any as it is only a trial. Sounds interesting as having looked at my latest usage, I seem to run out of Powerwall at 2000-2030 most nights. I am averaging less than 7p per unit over the month for my leccy so not using much peak in the big scheme of things. I don think I would be better off on Agile, especially given all the hassle of looking up rates every day to change timers etc. I guess the only downside of moving to 5.5p for 5 hrs from 2030 would be higher carbon electricity going by my gridcarbon phone app. I'm sure I would be better off financially and perhaps I am over thinking it as Go is a green tariff anyway. Might have to look into it if it 'GOes' beyond a trial (pun intended). 

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
Zarch

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »

I've made some changes to my code over the weekend which should now enable quicker updates to the website (https://www.energy-stats.uk/) and posting the Agile pricing summary graph out via @energystatsuk

I used to have a set cron job at 6pm that did all the work, but i've now put some ongoing checks from 4pm onwards looking for new pricing via the API and acting upon them when I see them posted.

Its seems to have been stable over the past few days, so hopefully will continue to work as planned in to the future.  Grin

Visit my Energy Stats UK website project showing historical and current energy data and graphs.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »

Hey Zarch
Something odd - the rates from your site for my region (London) and what Octopus is actually telling me on my account (TW9 2LW), don't seem to match?  Screenshots below, am I doing something wrong? 

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Zarch

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2020, 09:13:43 PM »

Hey Zarch
Something odd - the rates from your site for my region (London) and what Octopus is actually telling me on my account (TW9 2LW), don't seem to match?  Screenshots below, am I doing something wrong? 

Apologies, only just seen this.   Still having problems?

Zarch

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2020, 09:13:59 PM »

I managed to spend a bit of time over Christmas and New Year coding some new functionality for the site that I've just put live.

Download historical Agile and Agile Outgoing data.

Far and away the most frequent request I get to the site is ďWhere can I get full historical pricing data for Agile and/or Agile Outgoing?Ē

Usually cos they want to do their own geeky analysis of the figures.

Agile started on 18th February 2018.

Agile Outgoing started on 15th May 2019.

Both data sets go right back to day one for each tariff will be updated every day with the new pricing from the Octopus API, so usually sometime after around 4pm.

If youíve had the daily graph tweet from @energystatsuk then you know the underlying data will have been updated for that day.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/download-historical-pricing-data/

Hope you find this useful.

Zarch

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »

Just added a new graph to the site on each of the 14 regional "Go versus Agile" pages.

This new one is Go versus Agile (00:30 to 04:30) for the previous year, but shows Agile as a weekly average.

For example: https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go-versus-agile-london/

Hope this helps.

Zarch

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »

It was clear that comparing Go (00:30 to 04:30 with Agile (00:30 to 04:30) pricing is an unfair comparison.

I think a fairer comparison is Go versus an average of the lowest 4 hours each day of Agile, so the cheapest 8 x 30 min slots each day.

Note: The 4 hours (8 x 30 mins slots) may not well not be sequential.  They could be picked randomly from throughout the day.

From today, you can now see those comparisons on each of 14 regional Go versus Agile page.

For example: https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go-versus-agile-london/

The same cheapest 4hr average stats are also available on the weekly summary graphs too that are on the same page.

Hope this helps.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: