navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Octopus Energy Agile & GO Tariff analysis website  (Read 9691 times)
Zarch

« on: May 23, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »

The Octopus Energy Agile tariff has really piqued my interest in time of use tariffs using Smart Meters.

Whilst you could grab bits and pieces of historical data from Octopus about 'Agile' it was a bit limited. ie it didn't show all DNO areas and wasn't complete back to Feb 2018.

So i've written a few scripts and pulled all the data in to one place.
  • All 30 minute data from all 14 DNOs going to back to the first day of the Agile tariff (Feb 19th 2018)..
  • The data also updates at 5pm each day after Octopus have released their next day's figures

I've then layered Grafana graphs on top so you can visualise the data yourself on my new website.

Plus, there is a Google Spreadsheet with all the historical data on.

had to scrap this as I quickly broke the 2 million cell limit on Google Sheets!!

https://www.energy-stats.uk/

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the project.

What could be done better?
What else would people like to see in terms of graphs?
Is this stuff useful?
Do you think the tariff could work for you?

I'm hoping to expand the project into their GO tariff as well as their new Agile Export figures too.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 09:20:55 AM by Zarch » Logged

17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
Visit my Energy Stats UK website project showing historical and current energy data and graphs.
Currently big on data from Octopus Agile and Go tariffs.
Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »

Looks really good. As a very low user and on 3 phase I dont think it would work for me though.

I've always been interested to know how energy prices vary around the country.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Zarch

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:52:09 AM »

Looks really good. As a very low user and on 3 phase I dont think it would work for me though.

Thank you.   Yeah, why does London always have the cheapest pricing and poor old Northern Scotland seems to kop for the highest pricing?

Visit my Energy Stats UK website project showing historical and current energy data and graphs.
azps

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »

Thank you.   Yeah, why does London always have the cheapest pricing and poor old Northern Scotland seems to kop for the highest pricing?

Brilliant, thank you, that's a lovely resource.

How do Octopus Agile customers interact with the variable pricing? How much advanced notice do they get, and in what form? Mobile app notifications or something?

re regional pricing - high density of customers. Unit cost of the grid per customer is very cheap in London. And very very high in rural Scotland.

Zarch

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »

I'm with Octopus, but not on Agile yet....... awaiting smart meter install.

They have an app and you can also get the figures logging in to your account as well as using the API.

And you can connect to their tariff and use IFTTT too to control your devices.
https://octopus.energy/ifttt/
https://ifttt.com/search/query/octopus

They provide all of tomorrows pricing at around 5pm the previous day, so you can make plans if there is really cheap/high pricing.

I really think time of use tariffs are the future when combined with smart devices and things like IFTTT.

Zarch

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »

My next project is to add Variable / Agile Solar Export pricing history to the website..... which is Octopus next big thing.

https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing/

Stig

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »

Interesting to see that weekend prices are much the same as weekday prices, I'd have expected to see a marked difference as other providers have occasionally offered free electricity on Saturdays etc.

As another low user the standing charge makes it more expensive for me (c.f. Ebico) especially as I don't have storage heaters or EV but do have PV.
Tinbum

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:38:37 AM »

Thankfully I'm in Yorkshire. Grin

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
dan_b

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »

This is interesting, will take a look. I'm an Octopus E7 customer, will see if the Agile tariff makes any sense for me.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
jtp10000

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »

Awesome work thank you. Would be great to see how it changes across the seasons as you get more data.
Zarch

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 04:08:12 PM »

Awesome work thank you. Would be great to see how it changes across the seasons as you get more data.

I've got all the data going back to Feb 2018, but there is only so much of it you can show on one page.

Although you can see the spread through months by clicking on your region and then looking at the third graph. 
This shows minimum, average and maximum prices for each day of the past 365 days.

Hope this helps.

Zarch

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 11:33:59 AM »

Just had a look at the most recent data.

Interesting, overnight last night Agile had a low of 3.11p per unit. It was no higher than 6p from midnight through to 6am, then 7p through the most of today.

I think alongside a small battery to get you over the 4pm to 7pm (20p to 23p per unit today) period if solar can't cover it, this could be a decent option for many people?

Its just about finding the right combo for your circumstances that will allow the best savings (tariff, solar, battery, ev, immersion, usage habits!)

azps

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 12:06:03 PM »

Interesting, overnight last night Agile had a low of 3.11p per unit. It was no higher than 6p from midnight through to 6am, then 7p through the most of today.

Yup, it's an unusual day. Very low demand (19 GW overnight, which is about as low as it gets), with very high winds, so very low wholesale prices. And now we've got low-ish demand (31 GW), and a decent showing from both wind and PV (about 5.7 GW each) and plenty of cheap imports too.

samss

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 08:37:35 PM »

Yeah they ignored me after promising to switch, then decided they couldn't because i am a 3phase customer. It's a shame, i would just about have been happy to have 2 phases disconnected to use Agile, but they stopped responding to my emails!

Zarch

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 08:23:03 AM »

Yup, it's an unusual day. Very low demand (19 GW overnight, which is about as low as it gets), with very high winds, so very low wholesale prices. And now we've got low-ish demand (31 GW), and a decent showing from both wind and PV (about 5.7 GW each) and plenty of cheap imports too.

Brilliant data, thanks.

I bet there is some correlation between 'how' its generating, where its coming from and the actual demand around their pricing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: