navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat pump api  (Read 3363 times)
andrewellis

« on: May 29, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »

Hi
I have a NIBE heat pump and although I can access limited data online I have to pay 40 a year for the option to get access to more data and control it through the cloud.  This has proven to be unreliable for access over the year.  The Nibe has a modbus option that costs over 600?!?!?

I was wondering what options people have for interfacing with their other brands of heat pumps.  Are there local apis that can be accessed without having to go through a cloud? Do they cost money? Are there phone apps to control the heat pumps without paying loads of money.

Thanks
Andy

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
pdf27

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 07:47:47 PM »

I've not actually done this, but in theory you should be able to do quite a lot with Open Energy Monitor. Details at https://openenergymonitor.org - to me this looks cheaper and better than many of the manufacturer options. For an air-source pump it should be feasible to tie the data to external temperature and humidity to give a much better understanding of the real COP, and potentially also use the unit for some basic smart grid functionality (using electricity when you're exporting PV, etc.).
andrewellis

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 10:04:35 PM »

Thanks.  I've actually got my own program logging all the data but I'm curious if other manufacturers have more direct means of accessing the data locally so I can approach NIBE and say they should probably look to do the same.  The pv inverter world seems to have many ways of getting data from the inverter.  Either through the cloud or locally via a variety of means (modbus, apis over ethernet).  All free.  NIBE seem to want to charge a lot of money for access to any data which doesn't seem right.  For me the problem is interfacing with the heat pump without going out to a cloud server.  I am aiming to do what you say re smart grid functionality but really need real time access to the information.

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: