navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AHSP in Old House  (Read 10133 times)
Home Farm

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »

Our air source heat pump has now been operational since the spring. Itís time to see how it performed over the course of the past three months as part of our autumn air source heat pump review.

To see how it performed over the autumn, including a very cold November, please check out this video.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 06:58:44 AM by todthedog » Logged

Our DIY and sustainability journey: https://www.myhomefarm.co.uk

Please subscribe to My Home Farm YouTube channel.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MyHomeFarmUK
offthegridandy

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 07:59:26 PM »

This is surely spam again. When you go to this blokes web site there is a advert for ASHP as supplied by a direct competitor to Navitron. I'm sure I've flagged this bloke up before he's taking the Peeess in my humble opinion.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
TT

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 08:34:08 PM »

Are you advertising startomatic generators?
It's your email signature
Home Farm

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2019, 09:09:05 PM »

Itís not spam Andy. Sharing relevant content with users on this board that are interested in ASHPs and renewable energy.

regen

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »

Topic Summary
Posted on: Today at 09:09:05 PM Posted by: Home Farm
Insert Quote
Quote from: TT on Today at 08:34:08 PM

"Itís not spam Andy. Sharing relevant content with users on this board that are interested in ASHPs and renewable energy."

And hoping they will respond to your adverts prominently positioned on your website! ASHP+old building+wet wales don't mix very well!

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
TT

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »

Ah someone else  promoting other non navitron products

Home Farm

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2019, 10:33:28 PM »

This is merely a hobby and thought it would be of interest to people here, which itís clearly not. Message received, and will no longer post here.

rogeriko

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »

You say you are heating your entire house with 100 pounds a month electric, thats 22 kilowatt hours a day times a cop of 2.5 equals 55 kilowatts of heat per day. If I came to your house and plugged in 2 or even 3  one kilowatt electric heaters your house would be freezing. Remember energy cannot be created or destroyed. You cannot heat an old victorian farmhouse with an air source heat pump. I hope you kept your oil boiler connected for the next 3 months because you are going to need it. Air source heat pumps do not work in old wet Welsh houses.

GarethC

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2019, 07:43:40 AM »

Air source heat pumps do not work in old wet Welsh houses.

Why not, if heat pump and emitters are sized correctly?

Also, presume the wet comment refers to lots of freeze defrost cycles, impeding performance. I've heard this a lot, but seen no empirical evidence sizing it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Countrypaul

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »

If you read his web site, he indicates that for October with an average temperature of 11C they used 900kWh of electricity for heating and achieved a COP of 2.66 which cost him £130 in electricity costs. That equates to about 80kWh per day of heat and about £4.50 per day. The electricity used includes a proportion from their PV system. I assume his £100/month is the average cost and not that over winter. An 18kW ASHP would easily produce 55kWhrs of heat (in about 3 hours) so would seem to me to make little sense in having one that large if only used for 3 hrs - it would only run for about 10 mins per hour average.

The house appears to use bottled gas for cooking and also has two WBS for heating (as well as the ASHP) something I would have though is esential as a backup in case of severe weather and a power cut.

A quick scan of his site seems to suggest he reviews everything, all DY gadgets and even down to work gloves (though I didn't bother to read these).

It seems a little strange that we have some on here telling him his system won't work just by looking a set of possibly unrepresentative figures. It should be intresting to review things next spring once he has completed a winter, where it may be possible to say "I told you so", or say "well done".
TT

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »

Who says the old Victorian farmhouse hasn't had extensive insulation work done?

I've enjoyed watching his videos, better than watching the person fest here
offthegridandy

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2019, 08:32:34 PM »

very sorry if I've got this wrong but I've always assumed that as a courtesy to our (free) hosts that we do not abuse the Navitron site by promoting products that are in direct competition to our host. https://myhomefarm.co.uk/air-source-heat-pump-efficiency-and-performance-reviews. this link to the my home farm site is clearly an advert as it specifically mentions a price reduction for using his site. Ie £200 quid off and an Amazon ticket, sorry but in my book that is spam javascript:void(0); spam!

Whether his installation is good or bad or feasible or if his data is reliable is irrelevant, the post is not in the spirit of which Navitron has operated for many years.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
TT

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »

Yawn

benseb

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »

IMO banning people from talking about competing products is nonsense

If the Navitron products are good then people will buy them. Banning talk of all other products doesnít mean they stay a secret. People do their research anyway. Why not allow an open and frank discussion which benefits everyone

And yes you can heat a big old farmhouse. Ours is 250sqm, built in 1800s. No DPC. 15kW Mitsubishi Ecodan. You just size things correctly.
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »

IMO banning people from talking about competing products is nonsense

Discussion is fine , using a free forum to promote a competitor product is not. Be fair !
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:01:24 PM by ecogeorge » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: