navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodgy tracker  (Read 2869 times)
dan_b

« on: July 08, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »

One of these trackers is quite clearly pointing in the wrong direction!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
daveluck_uk

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:33:02 PM »

....and a very poor Photoshop. Why is the base of the left hand light forwards of the array yet the top is behind?

Edit.  Aaaahhhhhh wait. Its a well lined up bollard in front.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:38:35 PM by daveluck_uk » Logged
dan_b

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:20:10 PM »

Why would I photoshop a photo I took with my own smartphone this morning to post on a thread about on the forum?!

This is at the Johnson & Johnson/ Intel offices near High Wycombe. They have two solar trackers, one called Deadalus and the other called Icarus I think.  Deadalus appears to be facing in the correct direction - towards the sun.  Icarus is obviously running scared and is pointing in completely the wrong direction.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Countrypaul

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 04:07:44 PM »

Is it possible they have had to turn off the tracking on Icarus so it doesn't hit the barricade fencing? Very difficult for me to work out how much distance there is between the 2.

On second thoughts, that one looks to be pointing in the right direction.  wackoold
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:09:36 PM by Countrypaul » Logged
oliver90owner

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »

Or simply that the fellow in the pic is doing some maintenance on it?  So it is not actually tracking?
dan_b

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »

Yeah, the one on the right closest to the fence is actually tracking the sun correctly! I did try and get the sun in shot but it washed out the photo too much to be useful!

It's clearly borked - I wonder how long it's been like that and whether anybody at the site has even noticed. I mentioned it to the receptionist and the look I got was as if I was talking in Esperanto.

Is it possible they have had to turn off the tracking on Icarus so it doesn't hit the barricade fencing? Very difficult for me to work out how much distance there is between the 2.

On second thoughts, that one looks to be pointing in the right direction.  wackoold

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 05:59:46 AM »

I still have big doubts about trackers, if the extra production ever justifies the expense, and maintenance unless space is a major issue.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »

Looking straight into Westwood gate on gurgle maps, you can see the panel is facing away from the sun.
(There are skips in the photo, perhaps the builders have clouted it... stir )

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: