navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raining........  (Read 355 times)
ecogeorge

« on: June 12, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »

As someone who invested 1k into Harlaw Hydro community hydro scheme a few years ago I logged on tonight to see output.
Can only assume its raining .......... reservoir level constant but power output going up ? ...
http://www.harlawhydro.org.uk/power-meter/#.XQFowbzYq01
 rgds George
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »

Raining, chilly, lights on, stay in and use electricity?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »

We normally get all the rain going.
             But weather this past week has been mixed with good sunshine and decent wind. Rain of course but nothing to worry about. Most of the flooding was down south.
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tinbum

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »

We normally get all the rain going.
             But weather this past week has been mixed with good sunshine and decent wind. Rain of course but nothing to worry about. Most of the flooding was down south.
     Biff

I'm not sure what to call it but I live in an area that often just doesn't seem to get the the rain when it pouring down all around. I often look at the rain radar and it just sems to disappear when it gets to us.  Huh

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
dan_b

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »

microclimate?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
oliver90owner

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:14:07 AM »

It says the reservoir level is - 0.88m, so head id down a bit.  They must be throttling back the output as the reservoir is not at constant level (only constant level when input and output are equal or when the reservoir is overflowing).  Generation only around 70% of max, according to the website.  Generation was down to 25kW yesterday early evening!

Biff has certainly not had all the rain!  I won’t need to water the spuds for the next week, I would think!

I was told this morning that central europe is at 38 degrees Celsius.  We are currently at 11 degrees and raining.  Been raining, very heavily at times, on and off for three days now.  More on than off!
M

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »

On the subject of rain and micro-climates, I thought it might be 'fun' to mention what happened in Cardiff (but only a small part of Cardiff) last Friday.

We got a downpour of rain and hail, something like June's worth in about 45 mins. Nothing could cope, the road drainage was never designed for that amount of rain, but everything got blocked up with hail, so the water found other routes.

Here's a pic of the back garden when I was still enjoying the storm:

The view from the front of the house was far more impressive with a sea of white flowing down the road towards the poor souls living in the road at the bottom. But I can't post a pic, as when I stepped onto the mats in the porch to take a photo, they sank about two inches into water, and I had an 'oh s**t' moment as the threshold piece into the hallway was leaking, and about to be overtopped.

Popped out in the storm with a snow shovel to clear the hail from around the porch so the water could flow away. Then the lightning went off and I automatically started to count elephants (5 to a mile) I got to one (that's one, not one elephant) and the thunder struck, and not like a great AC/DC track, but a second 'oh s**t' moment, and I discreetly withdrew.

Thought I'd got off light, but the rescue I volunteer at got flooded, see pics in news article:

Homes and businesses in Cardiff devastated by overnight flash floods

Sadly my father, who lives about 400m from me, suffered even worse. A road further back and higher up, simply couldn't cope. Water built up, then crashed into the lower backgardens of his road. The water made its way through about 6 backgardens by simply smashing through fences and walls. He has heavy duty concrete posts and wood effect panels, but on one side they were pulled out of the ground, and on the other side they were snapped (steel reinforced concrete).

His house and 3 neighbours had the fun of the water flowing through their properties from back to front. [Note, he isn't in the article, those pics are of damage elsewhere.]

If weather spikes like this are only the start of AGW, then we are in for some serious 'fun' down the line.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
A.L.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »

hello,

I'm not sure what to call it but I live in an area that often just doesn't seem to get the the rain when it pouring down all around. I often look at the rain radar and it just sems to disappear when it gets to us.  Huh

Rain-shadow - high ground (mountains) upwind gets the rain before you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: