navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powerwall 1 power cut solution?  (Read 1495 times)
Yclairejenkins

« on: June 16, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »

Looking for a way to modify our system so it would work in a power cut - can anyone offer any pointers, please?
We have 5.6 kWp panels with SolarEdge inverter and a Powerwall 1. I canít see anything to suggest that the new Gateway would work with a first generation Powerwall; is there an alternative way to do it?
oliver90owner

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »

Because of the need for mains voltage/frequency for the system to be operational (avoiding electrocuting a linesman in the event of a local power interruption and a person working on the otherwise isolated circuit) it has to shut down in a power-cut. 

As I see it, there are two ways of getting power during an outage. First is to provide a stable voltage and frequency (while the system is completely isolated from the grid) or to use the battery to power a separate inverter which could power items connected to it.  Completely separate from any mains connected circuits, of course.

The second option would seem more feasible to me, but I am no expert on the subject.
Iain

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 10:03:59 PM »

Hi
On my Powervault they use a second outlet on the unit to feed a circuit as a maintained circuit which is fed from the batteries/ inverter during a power outage. This circuit is "fed through" from the mains during normal operation. In a power outage the batteries take over via the built in inverter.
Does it have that facility?
Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: