navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: original FIT with SSE - would i benefit from octopus or a duracell battery soln  (Read 1501 times)
citrus

« on: August 15, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »

so I was lucky and got our solar ev via the original FIT scheme (2011) so get a good chunk of money each year for my export

I think this means I get a deemed 50% export even tho I can use all the elec i want during the day

now thinking of getting an electric car OR a electric storage solution ( duracellenergybank.com) or got to Octopus

would that cause a problem for the FIT ( stealing all the export ?)

... or does it not make sense given the good rate of FIT I get ?  

john999boy

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 04:53:21 PM »

Make full use of what you have - and you'll still be paid the 50%.

8.46kWp solar PV - 169 - 40 slope - 53N. Immersun fuelled DHW.
citrus

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »

thanks for that

actually doing a bit of reading .. sounds like the duracell power bank has a long payback period so wont work for me (5-7 year horizon in this house)

so will look at the electric car as a solar dumping station
RIT

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 09:47:41 PM »

thanks for that

actually doing a bit of reading .. sounds like the duracell power bank has a long payback period so wont work for me (5-7 year horizon in this house)

so will look at the electric car as a solar dumping station

As long as you do not select a battery solution that sits between your panels and your inverter the number of units you report for your FITs payment will not change - unless the electrician goes and messes up the wiring by putting something between the inverter and the FITs check meter.

It's just about impossible to get a positive rate of return on any home battery system within it's expected lifetime unless you expect to fully discharge the device daily, which is an unlikely situation if the aim is to capture spare energy from a PV array. There does not seem to be any published prices for the Duracell Energy Bank so I'm guessing that it is priced at the top end of the market and just plays on the brand name.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
pantsmachine

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »

We have seen a roi of 18.71% on a combined solar & battery install in year 1(ish). Solar went live 8th June 2018 and the batteries Sept 2018. The batteries have discharged a total of 1.1 mwh so far, I expect them to have discharged 1.2 mwh by the time their 1st anniversary rolls around.

I base my calcs on the year running June 17 to May 18 and the usage therein and go on current prices with my then provider, squarest way I could think of to grasp an intangible.

Purely on batteries, Scottish power standard online tarriff is 18.649p kwh, 1.2 mwh would have cost me 223.78 so that's my roi in year 1 batteries, the battery side of the install was about 2,500 so that's 8.95% back.

Many ways to defur a feline but this one is mine. All the best in your process.

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
nowty

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »

The Duracell Energy Bank looks like a rebadged Chinese BYD unit.

Seems to be being pushed by a company called Social Energy, we had a thread about them late last year.

See here  -  https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30152.0.html

I recall the consensus was not too complimentary.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
citrus

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

The Duracell Energy Bank looks like a rebadged Chinese BYD unit.

Seems to be being pushed by a company called Social Energy, we had a thread about them late last year.

See here  -  https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30152.0.html

I recall the consensus was not too complimentary.

yeah thanks for this ... will park the battery idea for definate now  ...

now back to looking at EV's !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: