navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new life for old belts and redundant oil or gas pipes.  (Read 1556 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: June 30, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »

There are many uses for old timing belts,
              I use them for making dampers or anti-vibrations mounts.

Invert the splines and drill the hole right through the pair when they are well clamped together. If you have a straight run of bolts, just measure for the holes in the full length and the bits inbetween deaden the vibration even better. Tighten up well. once the machine runs for a few minutes you will feel and hear the vibration easing off.
The belts are excellent for resting appliances like controllers and inverters on slippy or vibrating surfaces. Just attach one smoot side to the slippy surface and the other smooth side to the bottom of the appliance. in pairs or pairs of pairs, once you set the top lot down into place, the spline lock and absorb vibration at the same time.
   If you have spare scrap copper oil pipe you can make excellent battery connectors. Once upon a time I used a lot of these but recently I decided to build a battery bank and having given my previous connectors away, I had to make another batch,
. Just cut the correct amount of insulation off the ends of each piece which you have previously measured and squeeze the ends shut in the vice, Then drill being very careful not to slice your hands on spinning copper. The current travels well on the skin of the copper pipe,even DC travels good on the round copper pipe.,There will be 138+vdc buzzing around these little beauties in the near future.
                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: