navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a milking machine from a battery  (Read 5817 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »

are you sure it wouldn't be easier to train the cow(?) to a halter and lead her to the milking parlour? Or milk by hand?

There is no parlour, i milk her in a modified crush that runs off the holding pen/shelter area.
The yard is not ideal for milking because my GSDs are kenneled there, and while i have a plan for sheltering the crush in winter, i have no where suitably sheltered or convertable on the yard
Greenbeast

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »

Car alternators are notoriously inefficient - falling to about 50% when hot.  Don’t know what efficiency, when cold.  Easy enough to recharge the battery using PV in the summer months, but winter insolation is pants!

I think Marcus may be close when putting actual figures on it, except that running battery current should be quite a bit lower, but simply starting machinery attached to the motor will be a load at start-up.  

Another question might be what type of motor is it?  I expect it is a single phase induction motor.  Soft start (even a 3 phase motor with VFD) might be good.    As stated before, starting and recharging is the bottle-neck of any system like this.  A Lister D, driving the pump directly, might be a better (more efficient) option!

The pump is only a 1 bar (14psi) compressor rated at 50l/min, after all.

Not looking to do anything with alternators. Just run the motor from a battery and then trundle everything back to the workshop to charge up (milking equipment has to come back to the clean room next to it anyway)
Greenbeast

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 12:58:43 PM »

Regardless of how this thread runs GB, please let us know the outcome ‘in the field’. It’s the most charming image to emerge from Bodges for some time.

Chas

I will, thanks.

This is me using the machine (with only a goat cluster and two of the pump vanes damaged, so far from ideal configuration)

https: //youtu.be/8FDVd8xHUeo

*usual youtube fix required here
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:32:46 PM by Greenbeast » Logged
bxman

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 06:02:58 PM »

I would put new vanes in the pump and wheels on the goat
  heigh- ho
oliver90owner

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »

I would put new vanes in the pump and wheels on the goat
  heigh- ho

A bridle/headcollar - and a bag of feed should suffice? Smiley
TT

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »

Are you able to see the video?
ecogeorge

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »

Yes, you're on the money, a little single bucket milker with old motor and ancient alfa-laval pump

This was before i collected it

Internals were rusted and seized

Refurbed it, unfortunately two of the carbon vanes need replacing

[/quote]
Can you see a model no.anywhere on the vac pump ?   9M ,  18M ??
Probably obsolete but am in depot on sat will look for parts list / vanes .
George
Greenbeast

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »

It just says '9' on the end cap, along with a machine number.
The vanes are 60x40x5mm I found plenty of oversize vanes on one of the Chinese sites that I can cut down.
Haven't wanted to order them until I can bring the other parts of the plan together
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »

How about advertising's 
   MILKMAID WANTED.
 I mean it a really good idea.  You need to see a pic of them before you hand over the cow. No I am not winking and nodding my head vigorously.  It's the damd midges.
              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
TT

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »

How close can you get a vehicle to the milking point?
Any answers to previous questions on page 1 too would be good to understand the limitations.
Greenbeast

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 10:21:17 PM »

How close can you get a vehicle to the milking point?
Any answers to previous questions on page 1 too would be good to understand the limitations.

With regards to distance to buildings, sorry i forgot to mention i have to roll out 75m worth of extension leads if i want to use the machine. Hence i'm currently hand milking.

I can get a vehicle very close but i don't really want to, it'll just be in the way whilst i'm trying to get the calf round to stimulate let down. In addition she needed almost forcing in the crush when i had a friend visit and watch, she'd throw a fit if the truck was parked there.
oliver90owner

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 06:38:20 AM »

Back when, our 20 cows all queued up and nearly always went quietly to their allotted stalls in the cowshed.  It was one of our jobs to go round and close the ‘clapses’ so they didn’t wander off after eating their concentrates.

How long before the calf is weaned?  What then?
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2019, 07:08:43 AM »

This any help?

https://hambydairysupply.com/repair-parts-for-delaval-777-vacuum-pump/

I could find nothing about that unit anywhere, but you may find pump vanes here:

http://carbosystem.com/en/vane-for-pumps/

Edit: From the company history it appears that the 'Alpha' part of Alpha Laval arrived in 1962, when it went from being 'DeLaval' to 'Alpha Laval' (alfa-laval). If your maker-plate says 'De Laval', it is probably pre-1962.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:34:33 AM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Greenbeast

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »

She comes into the crush ready enough but she doesn't let down her milk for me.

It's alfa-laval, when I spoke to them they told me they sold the dairy side off to Delaval
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:59:32 AM by Greenbeast » Logged
Philip R

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 08:58:20 AM »

Try Vac air superstore in Leeds. They can make some vanes from block material.
Philip R

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: