navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a milking machine from a battery  (Read 3798 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »

Then there is the idea that you can calm the cow down by creating a nice environment
      You can do it chemically or electronically or both. You will still need the extension lead.
    If you had a sheltered spot with a leanto type roof, you could install a 3 pin socket and fit one of those firmomes releasing plugs.
 I think there is a vet not far away from you and she would have access to the sedatives.
  Once the cow is calmed down and started to get used to you , you can wean it off the sedative.
 It also helps if you are relaxed and happy yourself.  (No I am not suggesting that you dabble in the sedative yourself.) Grin
                                   Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Greenbeast

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »

It also helps if you are relaxed and happy yourself.  (No I am not suggesting that you dabble in the sedative yourself.) Grin
                                   Biff.

ha ha ha. She is generally quite settled, ironically this week she has started kicking, i can't tell what the cause is but i've bought a kick stop device and will see how i get on.
The talk about the 14.4V lithium batteries has me thinking of my makita 18v batteries. Is there a way (inverter?) of using a pair of 5Ah batts either in parallel or series 18 or 36V?
TT

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »

https://cpes.co.uk/touring-connection/tt2fl-3fl-4fl-unmetered-connection-unit-with-light/

Free standing unit?

Or put a socket in a shed?/lean to?

You can dig a trench yourself, and get a spark to terminate either end?
More reliable than a drill battery, start up current on inverter, etc

Countrypaul

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »

Do you know what the current motor is rated at? Rather than messing with an inverter, why not replace it with a 12v motor, or if the power is low enough even with a battery drill/driver (Makita?) and drive it directly from the right voltage. I am sure you should be able to obtain a 12v motor of the right power from somwhere, such as a small starter motor (don't know if they would run for long enough), or a bicycle assistance motor etc. You say you would be lugging the cart back and forth anyway, the only addition this woud involve would be a battery.
Justme

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »

She comes into the crush ready enough but she doesn't let down her milk for me.

It's alfa-laval, when I spoke to them they told me they sold the dairy side off to Delaval

She wont let down for you with the calf around. You are stealing its food.

You need to become the calf.

If i take the calf off 24/7 rather than 12/7 then i have to bucket feed the blighter!
This way i get milk and she feeds him

Like any half way measured its a half arsed way of doing things & creating more trouble than its worth.

I have done multi suckle, bucket rearing & hand / machine milking of cows & goats.

Mixing methods is more trouble than its worth.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »

Hi again GB,
        This is getting out of hand. I don,t like getting beat. The answer is staring you straight in the face,
      Take the motor off the pump and build a little wooden step to take your 5amp makite cordless up level with the plastic tube that connects them.
    Then put a suitable arbor in the drill chuck , connect up the connector again and you are in business.
     May I also suggest that you get the cow used to some light classical music..Then you can start the drill to the strains of Mozart 40
                          Biff
    What I meant to say is, replace the motor with your cordless drill. The whole kit can be hidden under your jumper.
   Just think of the shock that cow would get with the pump and the drill up your jumper. She would never kick you again,, But ,,I can,t guarantee it.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:55:24 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Greenbeast

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2019, 07:15:30 PM »

Do you know what the current motor is rated at? Rather than messing with an inverter, why not replace it with a 12v motor, or if the power is low enough even with a battery drill/driver (Makita?) and drive it directly from the right voltage. I am sure you should be able to obtain a 12v motor of the right power from somwhere, such as a small starter motor (don't know if they would run for long enough), or a bicycle assistance motor etc. You say you would be lugging the cart back and forth anyway, the only addition this woud involve would be a battery.

I have started wondering this, this evening. It's a 375W motor currently.

Regarding yours (and Biff's) idea of just using the makita hardware to do the job entirely, Yes and i could easily swap batteries part way through if one doesn't quite run long enough

TT, I can't tell if you're trolling the thread. Digging an electric cable in 600mm deep for 75m is no mean feat and certainly more effort than a couple of litres of milk a day is worth!

Justme, Plenty of people share-milk, shutting the calf away over night and then milking first thing and then putting them back together during the day. The only slight hiccup here, again not uncommon, is that she's not used to letting down her milk for me (without an oxytocin injection!), so i take the extra step of letting him start.

oliver90owner

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »

Fourth page on here and you have not done anything to actually sort this out?

No ‘power plug’ to measure the energy used by any device plugged into a mains socket?

Run your milking setup for a quarter of an hour to determine how much energy it does actually consumein real use.

If it does not read in Watt hours, convert the power demand to energy required.

If that result is more than 24 Watt hours, there is no chance of a 12 volt 2 Amp hour battery running it, let alone starting the motor (when a further two energy transitions are concerned).  You would then have some idea of the futility, or otherwise, of running this kit from a small battery powered screwdriver/drill.

Your small auto 12 volt battery will be 40Ah. That is 480Wh - compared to a 12 volt cordless 2Ah (24Wh) screwdriver battery.

Reality needs to checked out here. 
Justme

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 09:04:29 PM »

Yes lots might do it.

Does not make it the most sensible way especially when you add in your situation of no suitable milking place.

With time she will let down for you.

Using a machine for 2L a day will take longer than hand milking with all the cleaning ect.

A good udder clean / massage will stimulate the let down.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
TT

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 09:21:06 PM »

No trolling from me, just offering common sense.
Go and buy a generator then, that's the next common sense idea.

Greenbeast

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »

Fourth page on here and you have not done anything to actually sort this out?

No ‘power plug’ to measure the energy used by any device plugged into a mains socket?

Run your milking setup for a quarter of an hour to determine how much energy it does actually consumein real use.

If it does not read in Watt hours, convert the power demand to energy required.

If that result is more than 24 Watt hours, there is no chance of a 12 volt 2 Amp hour battery running it, let alone starting the motor (when a further two energy transitions are concerned).  You would then have some idea of the futility, or otherwise, of running this kit from a small battery powered screwdriver/drill.

Your small auto 12 volt battery will be 40Ah. That is 480Wh - compared to a 12 volt cordless 2Ah (24Wh) screwdriver battery.

Reality needs to checked out here.  

I'm currently hand milking until I can afford pump vanes and new inflations for my cow cluster. Hence I'm not actively using the machine right now. Investigating the cheapest and easiest way of using it.

I don't have any 12v 2Ah batteries. I have 18v 5Ah batteries to hand. It was not really my intention to use these, but 14.4v lithium was mentioned earlier in the thread.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:47:22 PM by Greenbeast » Logged
Greenbeast

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 10:43:09 PM »

Yes lots might do it.

Does not make it the most sensible way especially when you add in your situation of no suitable milking place.

With time she will let down for you.

Using a machine for 2L a day will take longer than hand milking with all the cleaning ect.

A good udder clean / massage will stimulate the let down.

Yes hopefully she will learn and then i won't need to use the calf, especially as he is growing well!
She gets a good udder clean every time, hasn't changed anything so far.
I'll get more than 2 litres if I can a) stop her kicking and b) extract it efficiently
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:48:14 PM by Greenbeast » Logged
Greenbeast

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 10:45:03 PM »

No trolling from me, just offering common sense.
Go and buy a generator then, that's the next common sense idea.

I said I don't want a generator.
I can't see how the expense of cable and digging is better than a deep cycle battery and an inverter? Especially as things might change here and the trolley can go anywhere with the milking gear on
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:02:40 AM by Greenbeast » Logged
TT

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »

Does the pump work now it's cleaned up ,back in the workshop where there is mains power?
Have you measured the starting and running current?

Do you have an inverter yet?

I've recently purchased 2x Halfords leisure batteries which are made by Yuasa, the decision to go for there was purely that it was collection from a local shop and the same if any warranty issues arose.

I only use sine wave inverters, so can't comment on modified ones.

Fuses in batteries etc will be required too.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2019, 10:19:35 AM »

A lot depends on the gearing and battery make up of the different cordless drills.
                       I have had Makita for many years. I recall Knghty  telling us that a cordless drill with a front pulley socket for a 10 hp Yanmar diesel clone could spin the Engine fast enough to start it. So I tried my 14.4 Makita on an old clone and held on tight.. no problem.
  However, I was gifted a 14.4  Rigid with a 5amp batt . The power and stamina of the Rigid is awesome.
 There is also a meter on the Rigid Batt.. It would definitely  drive your milking machine.
                    Biff

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: