navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judge halts house extension after engineer neighbour claimed it would block.....  (Read 437 times)
myozone

Lizard peninsula - Cornwall

« on: July 11, 2019, 11:45:30 AM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7233275/Engineer-gets-neighbours-house-extension-stopped-landmark-High-Court-win.html

The power of vertical solar eh ?

Dave.

'Don't live life by the perforations' !
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:39:25 PM »

I remember  years ago,
                                  Getting stuck between two neighbours who owned adjoining semis. They could not stand one another. A applied for planning and B objected on the grounds that it would cast a shadow on his rear bedroom windows, The founds were moved 300mm back from the party wall line and the council gave go ahead. B was a rather unpleasant chap but I could see his point. It did not take long to do the extension and A was the ideal client and good payer. So we had a Sunday Bar b Q that included the roofers and plumber  to celebrate and I went my way.
   About 2 year later I got a call from A, to go and visit the family, The next door neighbour, B had built an extension using A,s wall which meant he came over at least 300mm on to A,s property. A and B were still not on speaking terms. A found it not the least upsetting but frankly i was worried. B thought that A,s silence was a token of surrender but when B,s extension was almost finished, A called the council out to inspect. B threw the council officials off his  property and made threats at the council officials and  A, The police were called and B was carted away. B had young family just like A had and the whole show was in bad taste. A year later B had sold up and left. There was a lot of that kind of thing in the Medway towns. I had a few "to do,s" with the same council officials concerning other jobs but I found them easy to talk to and fair minded.
   As for the happy chap with the solar panels, His woes are only starting, Grin. I foresee a large union Jack proudly flying on a mast next door and accidentally ...........well maybe not.
                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
TT

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »

Looks like his panels are in shade from the existing house, never mind the planned extension.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:33:05 PM »

Exactly TT.
          Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
sbchapman

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »

I do get where the 'engineer' is coming from. The photos on the DM website show what is possibly another array at the back of his house facing the neighbour at an incline. As the neighbour's ridgeline is running the length of his plot the midday sun is unlikely to affect the second array during summer and introduce an increased shading angle as the neighbour's roof slopes down towards the party wall, however the proposed dormers could well do.

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
dimengineer

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:53 PM »

I do get where the 'engineer' is coming from. The photos on the DM website show what is possibly another array at the back of his house facing the neighbour at an incline. As the neighbour's ridgeline is running the length of his plot the midday sun is unlikely to affect the second array during summer and introduce an increased shading angle as the neighbour's roof slopes down towards the party wall, however the proposed dormers could well do.

Looking at it, it looks a pretty marginal installation. Its really all about money isn't it. He'll lose a couple of hundred quid a year. I'm not jure he's got a good aregumet, really

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 09:39:33 AM »

It's about neighbours  trying to get one up on each other.
         Unfortunately,  it's almost  impossible to heal such rifts.
      It's sad really.
                   Biff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: