navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing an Immersun  (Read 1596 times)
linesrg

« on: November 10, 2018, 07:22:04 AM »

Good Morning All,

I don't know how many Immersun users on this forum are part of the Immersun Facebook page but a guy on there has suffered a pretty 'terminal' failure and managed to repair it.

Basically the PCB burnt out at the push fit connector to one of his immersions which isn't exactly uncommon.

Photo's attached.

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
nowty

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 12:49:16 PM »

I know this is an old topic but same thing has happened to my Immersun and it seems to be a common fault, so this post might be of help to others.

I noticed my Immersun kept rebooting from time to time over the past few months but apart from that it still worked ok. But the other night, when it was boosting some storage heaters (circa 2.6kW load) with the cheap overnight leccy I heard it fizzing and crackling. Ehhhhh, that's not a good sign, so I turned it off and investigated. sh*tfan

The circuit board plug and socket for the incoming mains supply had overheated and melted, it had also damaged an adjacent capacitor which was possibly shorting out. Also the two other heather output plug and sockets had their live pin slightly blackened, so was obviously going the same way. facepalm

This has been talked about on a Immersun Facebook forum (as mentioned by linesrg) and it seems having the plug and socket design just cannot take the power for long periods of time. A fix is to replace the plug and socket design with an alternative single piece connector. They can be bought cheaply from RS, stock number 189-5972. Or weblink - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-terminal-blocks/1895972

You also need a Torx security bit to remove the circuit board from the casing - www.toolstation.com/draper-security-bit-set/p52910?searchstr=Draper%20Security%20Bit%20Set

Looking at the current rating spec for both the single piece vs the two piece plug and socket shows that the spec of the existing design is between 12 and 15 amps depending upon manufacturer, But certainly its very close to being exceeded by a standard 3kW immersion heater. chocolateteapot
The single piece replacement is rated at 24 amps, so much better. signofcross

I checked my other slave unit and that looked ok but it has not had as much running time so I decided to modify that one and also another new spare one I have just in case of future trouble. All rebuilt and nicely working again laugh

12kW+ of PV installed and 57+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
270,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 03:38:27 PM »

Just to clarify are we talking the Mk1 or Mk2 ImmerSUN/Eddi  here?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
nowty

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 04:19:39 PM »

Just to clarify are we talking the Mk1 or Mk2 ImmerSUN/Eddi  here?

Its an Immersun Mk2 but it would be interesting to know what the Eddi uses ?

12kW+ of PV installed and 57+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 50+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
270,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: