navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart EV charging cables - Ubitricity/ Ohme  (Read 3040 times)
dan_b

« on: July 18, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »

Any EV drivers here using one of the "smart" charging cables like Ubitricity or Ohme?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
jtp10000

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »

I just got an Ohme, hoping it would modulate the charge matching it to PV production. Also when I finally get my SMETS2 meter it can then do the charge at the EV overnight rate.
Octopus are doing the Ohme for 199 for customers. Hence the rash purchase.
I am pretty sure it can't do the PV which is a shame. It would need to talk to the enphase which might be too hard? Also can the car accept a fluctuating charge level?
I still haven't plugged it in. Part of the problem is that is a long lead you plug into the existing lead so then I will have cables everywhere. Can't see why they didn't just do a short attachment to put on the end of an existing lead. Also there is the theft risk as it is not fixed to anything.
I'm not convinced that it is actually that sophisticated. I can't see it is doing anything that software in the car should not be able to do anyway.
dan_b

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:12:39 AM »

Sounds like you need a Zappi charge point at home - in full Eco mode that does modulate the charge going to the car in response to your PV excess.

I'm just trying to work out what my best charging options might be if I push the button on a BEV - I don't have off-street parking at home, but there are some Ubitricity charge points in the street opposite in the parking bays I could use. Would also have the possibility to get a charge point installed at work I think.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
jtp10000

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »

I just phone Ohme. They say that it is upgradeable and they hope to add the PV capability / are working on it.
The main problem is it doesn't work with a tethered wall unit so now I need an electrician to come in and hard wire it in to the existing unit.
next time it will be a Zappi for sure. Rolec seem to have something similar now as well.
jtp10000

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 04:27:29 PM »

I then got a call back several hours later from Ohme asking me to return the cable, we will arrange a pick up etc... If I wire it in myself it will void the warranty etc... For some reason they really didn't want me to do this. I hadn't left my number.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: