navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: comparison of costs of public charge points  (Read 2994 times)
dan_b

« on: July 18, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »

Is there somewhere a website that logs/compares the different £/kWh charging costs of the various different public charge point providers in an easy to find format?

There seem to be an expanding number of charging providers, and of course they're going to cost more than the electricity tariffs people can get at home (in particular these special low-rate overnight tariffs that are coming out) - but is there actually much variation in them?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
brackwell

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 02:09:00 PM »

I dont suppose there is because currently all providers are trying different business models.  Chargers currently range from free to 35p/kwh and there are big variations in ease of use and reliability.
kristen

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »

Is there somewhere a website that logs/compares the different £/kWh charging costs of the various different public charge point providers in an easy to find format?

Apart from the "comparison format" sites like PlugShare have some crowd-sourced cost data

https://www.plugshare.com/

https://www.zap-map.com/live/
dan_b

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »

ok so here's a couple I've found so far - not comprehensive and no doubt rates will change, but maybe this will be useful?
I've stuck with the Pay as you go charges rather than the various complex membership systems

Ecotricity - 30p/kWh at 50kW
ESB London - 29p/kWh at 50kW
Instavolt - 35p/kWh at 50kW
Source London - 14.3p/minute on their 22kW units, 7p/minute on their 7 and 3kW units
Polar - Polar Instant via smartphone is charged per hour - £6/30mins on 50kW or £1.50/hour for Type 2 up to 22kW
Ubitricity - via their new QR-code scan/Smartphone app - 24p/kWh at 5kW

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:33:04 PM »

More typically a case of I'll pay if I *really* need it,  ...say an Ecotricity  motorway stop twice in 12 months (about £2.15) ..sometimes on free at Ikea anyway "IF" you can get a spot!

Or, as an add on to our renewable tariff including Polar subs being covered by the supplier (£7.99 per month) ..then mainly free bar the 50KwH chademo we use once we get to the snowdome MK, so £1.75+

But as you get into it, its a damn sight cheaper than a garage run (30 mins to from, & fill) ..so we tend to laugh it off anyway, ..it's one of those "e-driving adjustments" you attune to over time.

...a cup of coffee at a starbucks  while you wait though! & your "fuel" fill up has pretty much doubled.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
nowty

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »

I did a very short top up to get me home today at a Shell garage. I was going to use the range extender (onboard petrol generator) for the last 10 miles, but the SATNAV found me the Shell charger.

An eye watering 39p/kWh @ 50kW, although you get a 9p discount if you us their app.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Countrypaul

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »

I did a very short top up to get me home today at a Shell garage. I was going to use the range extender (onboard petrol generator) for the last 10 miles, but the SATNAV found me the Shell charger.

An eye watering 39p/kWh @ 50kW, although you get a 9p discount if you us their app.

It may seem eye watering to you, but consider what ICE drivers readily accept:

At 39p/kWh lets assume you get the 9p discount (it makes the maths easier Grin) and say 3miles/kWh that is about 10p/mile.
Assume petrol is £1.20/L so £5.40 a gallon, then an ICE would need to be doing 54mpg just to compete on fuel price. If you get 5miles/kWh from you BEV the comparable figure for the ICE would be 90mpg. A more realistic figure for the Chelsea tractors is probably 27mpg though.
phoooby

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »

The rapids all seemed to have settled around the 30-35p with some higher like the Shell offering and Ionity on a flat £8 which could be cheap per kWh  if you have a big battery that is empty when you arrive. I remember all the arguments on forums when Ecotricity started charging. TBH, I do so little public charging the 30-35p makes no odds and is worth it if the chargers are working when you get there. If you want free then use the lidl / tesco 7kw ones. If you have no home charging them plugging in whenever you are stopped into an AC post will be much more convenient than rapids. If you are talking about general rapid use on a journey etc then the cost between the providers is minimal. I have the polar subscription which on a cost per kWh over the year is probably expensive for the use I get from it but it is vastly more useful than the app which takes ages to connect/disconnect in comparison. The £8 per month is less than I was paying for road tax and I have a card to get me out of a pickle if needed. I mainly use polar at my gym as there are 22kw posts at 13p ish per kWh. It is only a bit cheaper than my peak rate at home but at least I get some use and keep the card in the car for emergencies.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
dan_b

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »

I've done 300 miles and done one paid-for charge-up so far at an Ubitricity lamppost, where I got 40kWh in for just under £10. Have also done a couple of free charge-ups at Sainsbury's for the rest of the juice, so it's all working out ok so far.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
marshman

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »

I've done 300 miles and done one paid-for charge-up so far at an Ubitricity lamppost, where I got 40kWh in for just under £10. Have also done a couple of free charge-ups at Sainsbury's for the rest of the juice, so it's all working out ok so far.

Just curious, with a 300 mile plus range, why have you charged (or topped up) 3 times in 300 miles?  Not a criticism more curiosity. Is it a case of its a new "toy" and you are exploring possibilities and options, or is it a case of top up where you can?

What do the vehicle manufacturers actually recommend in terms of charging?  frequent top ups or only recharge when "empty" or somewhere in between.?

No plans to get a BEV yet as can't justify the capital outlay but watching very, very closely. This and the "New BEV" thread are an interesting read from my point of view as it gives experiences from a good cross section of real users in a range of vehicles.

It will be interesting to see at what point the government have to start recouping lost revenue from fuel duty and Vehicle Excise Duty and how they are going to do it.

Roger
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:13:42 AM by marshman » Logged

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
dan_b

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »

Hi Roger
Good question! The car was delivered with about 40% charge, so was not "full" at handover so to speak.

The PodPoint at Sainsbury's is time-limited to 3hours or they'll slap on a parking fine, so effectively each session there "only" gives me 20kWh, or about 60 miles.

I'm also learning about the different charge points around my area. And I'm learning about my own personal range anxiety - I've not yet been comfortable with it being at a low range - even though with my Volvo I would habitually wait until the range was below 30miles (red fuel level warning light!) before going for some diesel. 

Lastly, according to Tesla, to maintain battery health, for daily driving use, you shouldn't actually charge it right up to 100%, or run it down below 10% - they recommend an 85% charge and only go to 100% for "long trips".   So I've not actually given it a full charge yet. 

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »

I think those of us with solar on the property harvested directly via a rooftop array or whatever will be "safe" initially from any plans based on "legacy laws" & how hard it will be to work all that out as "fuel" useage.

Of course the govt will extort some form of duty / levy when the balance tips, at the moment we are good advertising e.v. benefit advocates (for free) ..doing what the govt cannot! ..make gay whilst the sun shines.

I think we will eventually be taxed lump sum on a new "road (use) tax" and those still with ice will be stamped on for more, the old "classic car" exemption will be done away with based on pollution.I

The committee Facebook ranters & politicians will say "convert your classic to ev" ..not knowing the time & cost involved.

(A bit like the attack on woodurning stoves, ..well we *could* to back to using heating oil as I always say on Twitter to the myopic argumentative types).

Nb when travelling I take my particulates monitor with me as well as using it at home, to date the air inside & outside has been lower ppm than when the traffic starts for work commutes, I've taken measurements in the chamonix valley to get an idea of the valley bottom pollution & roads ..obviously there's A lot of woodburners out there, still yet to find highly saturated levels.

(Kind of annoying for the family as it takes several minutes to boot up).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:14:16 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
phoooby

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »

Charging is a suck it and see sort of thing and everyones profile will differ. Those with home charging will find that most convenient by a long way. Next in line I would put charging at destination while you are doing something, shopping, cinema, gym etc. This will be vastly more convenient if the AC posts go to credit car readers and tethered type 2 (leaf, env200 and outlander will have to get adaptors, sorry ! (we do have a env200)). Finally I would put rapids as generally they are on routes so 30-40 mins might be slightly too long a stop for some and when they are local (supermarkets, urban areas etc) it might be to short a charge time for a shop etc. Worst case is sat at a rapid with nothing to do watching the % rise. Like watching a kettle boil.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »

... And I'm learning about my own personal 'range anxiety' ...
Come on Dan, be positive, think of it as 'range excitement', keeps you alert and on the edge. Grin

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
oliver90owner

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »

Lastly, according to Tesla, to maintain battery health, for daily driving use, you shouldn't actually charge it right up to 100%, or run it down below 10% - they recommend an 85% charge and only go to 100% for "long trips".   So I've not actually given it a full charge yet.

Most recommend 20%-80% and more sedate charging than maximum DC available for maximum battery life.  One reason why I am not wishing to purchase a ‘thrashed’ battery vehicle (after 3 years on lease) or a short range vehicle.

Tesla’s 75% useful charge range should not have even given you any thought of range anxiety thus far!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: