navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Energy Heat Pumps  (Read 2565 times)
Countrypaul

« on: July 20, 2019, 06:52:17 PM »

Has anyone any experience with Cool Energy Heat Pumps?

I got the quotes for ASHP's last year, two suppliers recommended Siemens 12kW systems and both came in around 14k with the RHI, including installation. The other quote from Cool Energy came in at around 2K without RHI (no MCS cert) supply only for an 8kW unit. The house is about 225m2 and well insulated and reaonably airtight (MVHR system in use).

Last winter we went through without a HP, just using immersion heaters in the Thermal Store and as far as I can tell we used around 1K worth of electricity in heating (E7) though I cannot be certain as to how this was split. For nearly all winter other than about 10 days, using E7/immersion heaters to heat the TS and the UFH was sufficient to keep the house warm enough (no zone control on the UFH then either - all fully open). On those days when we needed more heat that the E7/immersion heaters provided, runing a single immersion (3kW) during the day proved sufficient.  This leaves me to believe that an 8kW ASHP will be upto the job, backedup by direct heating should there be an exceptional cold spell. Since I also plan to put in a WBS with back boiler link to the TS, the RHI gets more complex (heat meters needed for example), and the RHI would only be paid on the heat provided by the ASHP - so may never cover the additional cost 12K.

My feeling is that the Cool Energy ASHP installed by me, with perhaps 1 day of a plumber and one day of an electrician, plus parts (50m insulated 28mm pipe, 25m armoured cable  plus fittings) witha  total cost of around 1K.

I would expect the HP to provide water at 35C enough for the UFH based on last year (not ever over 30C then).
If I get a cop of 3, that would cut the electricity by about 660 pa which may be optimistic, could be pessimistic, only experience will tell.

I also plan to get an Eddi to utilise the excess PV (3.3kWp) with as well as direct dump via immersion heater to the TS can also activate the HP instead.

Which way would you go? Any other comments?
titan

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »

When I was researching GSHP and ASHP with and without RHI around five years ago ( they were changing schemes and moving the goalposts again) I was offered a very good deal from a local HVAC  company for a Mitsubishi 8kW unit. They were happy to let me do the install but they would need to do the HP gas pipework, gas it up  and commission the unit to get the Mitsubishi warranty. ASHP sounds like a good addition to your system. The RHI scheme just  seems to kill any chance of good hybrid systems.
nowty

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »

I cannot comment on their ASHPs but I bought a GSHP from them last year.

It was an 8kW ex display model sold on fleebay for 1k. Its worked fine no problems with it whatsoever and the guy who runs the place took an interest in what I had used it for when I sent him a couple of pictures.

You can see pics and info about it in the thread below,
https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29762.0.html

The only thing I would be sceptical about is the headline power rating and COP, but thats more of a problem with the whole industry. I have measured the output of mine at about 6kW with a COP of 3, even though its quoted at 8kW with a COP of 4.5, but that is with unrealistic temp and flow rates. I would look at the tech spec and compare heat output power, electrical power, kg of refrigerent gas with other more expensive models to see where it fits in.

For example I comparred mine with GSHPs from Kensa (a quality UK company) and my heatpump electrical power and kg of refrigerent looked almost identical to a model Kensa do but they quote theirs at a more realistic 6kW. However Kensa also sell that model for over 6k and thats excluding VAT !

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
titan

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »

I don't think comparing your ( very interesting) installation and a more conventional installation with 600-700 mtrs of field array will give any meaningful data, just not comparing like for like. I think you get what you pay for to a large extent although Copeland seem to have licenced some Chinese companies to make their compressors. If it was me I would just check the components making up the rest of the heat pump are standard parts available off the shelf in the UK so if it goes wrong easy to fix, not trying to get proprietary parts from China.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: