navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching from Mains to Generator  (Read 2434 times)
manwithtool

« on: July 26, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »

I want to be able to run my house from a generator.  To do this I know I have to be completely isolated from the mains.  I like to keep things simple and this wont need to be an instantaneous switch over.  So My plan is to install a switch as per the attachment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-AMP-GENERATOR-CHANGEOVER-SWITCH-3-POSITION-2-POLE-IP65-SINGLE-PHASE/233013506755

It seems simple enough although I will get an electrician to install it.

It's only a 2.7Kw generator so I won't be using the kettle or Cooker.  It will however be enough to keep the fridge, PC, TV and Lights going.

I have 2.2Kw Solar panels that I assume would be triggered to come on when power is restored to the panel by the generator.  I have no idea if the output from the generator is "clean" enough for the solar panels or rather the inverter to work with.  I've been told it would be best to switch them off by flicking that circuit breaker off before starting the generator ?

I work with an electrician and he says there are smarter ways of doing this and how would I know the power has been restored.

Is there another nice simple option.  I really don't want to spend too much money or make it overly complicated.
I would welcome any advice or opinions, but keep it simple for my benefit, I'm not a complete idiot but 240v AC I find a bit complicated in how it works exactly and seeing as it is enough to kill you I won't be taking any chances.
TT

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 05:50:53 PM »

That switch will be fine.
It's the safest option too.
TT

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contact-Voltage-Detector-Voltstick-Buzzer/dp/B00FJUYF70

Something like this, pop it beside the DNO Tails it will beep when power restored, just check on a regular basis.
Or at night keep an eye on the street lights to see when they come back on as an indication of power being restored

My model beeps quietly with no power and goes mad when 230vac detetected
ecogeorge

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 08:37:51 PM »

I too have previously installed a generator via a change over switch. Both pv inverters could not be fooled by the generator  power rendering the pv  useless whilst on generator power .
George
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 07:19:47 AM »

.....my wind GTI  did not like generator , so   switched of when he was running ...

ok you have a generator already     ,  but  just an idea  to keep in mind  for example  a Honda EU22i Petrol Inverter Generator costs 1200 GBP  and  runs then for about 30-50 pence per kWh (or even more)    for that amount i get an off grid inverter charger   and a 12 kWh  deep cycle  battery bank

or invest a pinch more   and thats my 2 penny's worth , get an off grid inverter that can work with AC synchronizing with your PV inverter,  then you have a safe all year round idea   and are able to utilize  your own juice even at night

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
manwithtool

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »

Thanks for all the answers, all make perfect sense.  As this is only for emergencies and the generator only cost 150 I'm not looking to go off grid completely.  I'll get the switch installed.

Thanks again
Westie

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »

I too have previously installed a generator via a change over switch. Both pv inverters could not be fooled by the generator  power rendering the pv  useless whilst on generator power .
George

The problem is you'll never get anywhere near the low impedence/resistance values of a LV grid connection using an small alternator,  the locally connected alternators impedance is likely 50 to 100 times more than the LV grid connection.  Good news is  if you had a 10MW wind or solar PV system and locally connected loads it would probably work  Grin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:17:21 AM by Westie » Logged

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: