navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eTron gets less capable  (Read 2941 times)
dan_b

« on: August 01, 2019, 03:03:35 PM »

https://electrek.co/2019/08/01/audi-unveils-cheaper-e-tron-electric-suv/

Ok so Audi has cut the price of the eTron - a good thing. But to do so they've taken a hatchet to the specs by the looks of things and shrunk the battery pack from 95kWh to 71kWh - and because this is Audi, they're calling it the eTron 50. Which makes no sense at all.

Also reduced the peak charging speed from 150kW to 120kW, and reduced the motor power output from 400 to 300BHP.

Given the eTron has been widely criticised for how inefficient it was and how poor the range is for a 95kW model, I wonder how far it'll go on 70kWh?  I mean, that's still a very big battery, but it's a very big heavy land yacht.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
phoooby

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »

The etron has class leading inefficiency ! Unless this new one is significantly less (£15k-20k cheaper) than the 72k full fat one, then I can see it having limited appeal as the range is likely to be 150-160 miles real world. The article mentions €70k so who knows what that will be in £ with the current exchange rate movements.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
M

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »

Dan, just being a bit pedantic here, but don't forget the hyphen when chatting about the E-tron, as etron means 'turd' in French!  whistlie

Now, I'm going to be naughty. As pointed out, the e-tron is not the best luxury/large BEV out their, despite claims of 'Tesla killers' arriving 'any day now' for half a decade. But an excellent point I read recently, was that whilst the highly praised German auto industry hasn't yet managed to match the specs of a 2012 Tesla model S, if they work really hard over the next 3yrs they should then be able to, so in 2022 Germany will only be a decade behind Tesla.

Bit of a cheap shot, but also kinda true. Plus Motor Trend recently recognised their 2013 COTY (car of the year) a Tesla S, as their ultimate COTY over their 70yrs of handing out such awards, due to its importance and impact.

For the greening (or partial greening (or less browning)) of transport, we really need all the automakers to up their BEV game massively. Tesla can't do this on their own, and would take far, far too long.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
dan_b

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:48:31 AM »

Yep, my spelling was quite deliberate  whistlie

Dan, just being a bit pedantic here, but don't forget the hyphen when chatting about the E-tron, as etron means 'turd' in French!  whistlie

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
oliver90owner

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 10:35:16 AM »

Less capable?  By most reports it wasn’t very capable from the word ‘go’!

For most, a better range would mean less need for ultra-fast charging - and much less cost if charged at home.

Would anyone on here buy one for anything other than a status symbol?
dan_b

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »

I think Audi may just find out that building a decent BEV is a lot harder than it looks...  I'm sure the full fat eTron will probably do ok with the hardcore Audi SUV enthusiast who might swap their diesel for an electric one, and compared to the TeslaX is a much more conventional take on the SUV (which is a hugely popular "car" segment let's be honest) but can't see this diet version doing well at all.   Many people with a big SUV use them for the big family road trips as well as the "school run", so with such a limited range vs. what other premium "executive" brands are able to offer, surely that would be a massive barrier?

Who knows. I'll never forgive Audi for failing to launch the Mk2 Audi A2 platform back in 2012.  They showed off a full BEV Mk2 A2 back in 2011.  Then promptly killed it and doubled down on SUVs and "clean diesel" instead.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Tigger

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »

The Audi model numbering system was created to allow them to designate the power band of an electric vehicle which is confusing when my father in law has an A1 with the 1.0 three cylinder TSI designated an A1 30.  People think it's got a 3.0 litre engine for goodness sake......

So, the e-Tron:

>>As for the motors, it is still equipped with a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system, but the output will be lowered from 402 hp to 308 hp (230 kW).

The original model was a 55 but the new lower power of 308hp makes it a 50.

30 = 109-128 hp (81-96 kW)
35 = 147-160 hp (110-120 kW)
40 = 167-201 hp (125-150 kW)
45 = 226-248 hp (169-185 kW)
50 = 281-308 hp (210-230 kW)
55 = 328-368 hp (245-275 kW)
60 = 429-455 hp (320-340 kW)
70 = 536+ hp (400+ kW)

Agree that reducing the range does seem a backwards step.....

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
dan_b

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »

I have to say also that when I sat in the eTron (urgh!) at Fully Charged Live, I was, shall I say, underwhelmed.  It's like an anti-Tardis. Massive on the outside, but surprisingly little free space on the inside.  And the interior is nothing you haven't seen before on any other Audi - all weird intersecting angles and swathes of "big stuff".  It was all quite oppressive and angry.   I did quite like the LCD wing mirrors, but those are a £2k optional extra - apparently they're standard fitment on the e-Honda (although clearly that hasn't helped Honda with the range on that car either!).

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
M

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »

The etron has class leading inefficiency ! Unless this new one is significantly less (£15k-20k cheaper) than the 72k full fat one, then I can see it having limited appeal as the range is likely to be 150-160 miles real world. The article mentions €70k so who knows what that will be in £ with the current exchange rate movements.

"Class leading inefficiency" ..... love it.  Grin

Watched some You-tube vids on the weekend, one is called Transport Evolved and I have to say extremely professional. I don't recall all the details but the presenter mentioned that the cut down E-tron appears to sneak under a German subsidy price point. So that might be the reason for the slightly strange move of selling a relatively short rang BEV at a high/luxury price?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: