navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small turbines in residential areas  (Read 7151 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 09:01:51 PM »

We have been living off grid for 10years plus,
                                            So a wind turbine in winter is a must for us. We have a 2kw Chinese Jobbie a first cousin of Tod,s Turbine and It is cut down to 1.5kw as is Donegal,s 2kw brother turbine  ,which also switched to the smaller blades.
   I got a small 450watt x 12volt Yang-Shen W/T to start with and learned to fly that before graduating on to the 2kw baby. After a few years of brown trouser excitement with the 2kw W/T on large blades,, I had an inspiration and downsized the bladed to the 1 kw output. Suddenly everything fell into place. We got got output in low wind speed and it could ride out the force 8s and 9s if I forgot to take it down or did not get home in time. I always believed in lowering the turbine in anything over force 8. Not because it would get damaged but because I know that our bank can only hold so much reserve and then the rest is stored in hot water. The turbine gets thrashed needlessly, so lowering to 10ft meant that it still performed and braked but not as violently as it does on the 13mtr tower.
   In winter when the sun don,t shine, Our turbine is a good friend and really does the business or "cuts the mustard" like AG says. So A decent wind turbine is a must for us. Marshman more or less nailed it and if You are on grid, PV is your best bet, It is dependable with next to no maintenance and good returns. I just love the idea of the wind turbine working right through the night, for us to wake in the morning with good hot water and a full bank.But like Roger says, they need maintenance and care.We have had a few members in the past who erected small domestic wind turbines next to their houses,
One chap stuck his on the gable of his semi, and we got to read all the complaining letters to the council. Such antics got no support from Navitron. They do nothing for renewable energy and usually end in disappointment. Do not bother with a VAWT, Once upon a time I also believed that they might be the holy grail if the design was adapted  to cater for a shield, a wind scoop and a tail to direce scoop into the wind. I kind of lived in denial for a few years Grin, ( I can do that no bother to me) but then the magic of the 3 vertical blades facing int the wind from any direction finally sunk into my brain. The VAWT can never compete with that. I know,, I know !! The world is full of VAWTS but then the world is full of helpless people as well. I refuse to lower myself and say idiots. "Helpless" is better.
             Have fun,
                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
nowty

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »

If it was me I would spend the money on more PV and/or a bigger battery.

I did go through a similar thinking period about home wind turbines as Pantsmachine is right now, and maybe he has got some better conditions and space for it. But after reading the advice on here I went down the road of more PV and more batteries. Especially as PV has got so cheap and managed to source enough reasonably priced second hand growatt batteries.

So, I think Marshman is on the money here.

I have just signed up to the Octopus Go tariff at 5p / kWh for 4 hours a day and hope that my battery is now big enough.
I will just have to imagine my imaginary turnip is blowing at a constant 6kW every day for those cheap 4 hours charging me up on all those dark winter nights without any worry of  sh*tfan.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
280,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
pantsmachine

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 09:36:57 PM »

That farting sound is i think the wind deflating ftom my sails. Cheers lads, like being in a room full of Uncles who've been there done that! I'll ruminate for a while then likely drop it, cheers! P.s, just went with Octopus agile
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:39:03 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

5.12kw PV system with Solar edge
7.2kwh Pylon tech battery storage
18kwh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kwh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 09:27:38 AM »

Good man, ..your other half would likely never allow you to do anything else "renewable" if you failed with a wind turbine, best to maintain relationships without the dirty overalls worn for raising / bringing down a turbine, fixing it & finding spares etc.

Everything has a resonant frequency, & a wall / roof mounted wind turbine will always find that via voids & materials used in construction, damping materials only do that, take the signal frequency down which can be a "biatch" you'll never solve.

Flying blades lost in the ground (distances flung also recorded here on navitron)  etc, etc... I too am a fan of wind power, but having had hopes dashed (for all the right reasons) here on the forum just take greater pleasure in the commercial ones down the road from me.

Glad to see you understand the general "been there, still wearing the washed out t-shirt" of old hands

Thus anything archived or current you see referred to as a chocolate teapot /  wackoteapot  here has generally, a longstanding proven history of snake-oil / bad design  etc.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 09:47:58 AM »

please be aware I'm not suggesting you try these out.
But when I went to FullyCharged Live back in June (which was excellent), amongst the many exhibitors of solar PV, batteries, EV chargers, BEV lease/hire/sale companies and others, there was also one stand who were trying to sell this as a solution for residential roof-top wind generation.

https://gigaturbines.co.uk/

I did try and be nice to the chap and let him do his sales pitch, but ultimately it is still a load of chocolate hot beverage containers.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
pantsmachine

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »

Found the Giga's yesterday. Had a look, this will run around in my brain for a while yet, I can see the huge pile of why not to. We do rather well with compromised split roof solar and batteries. Tbh, it's outstripped all my expectations and we love the fit and forget aspect so can see how wt is a pita in comparison. I'll see how bored I get over Winter. There is a spot 100 ft down the garden..... Humans eh? Smiley With all I have read the last part to die is that appeal of a small quiet vawt Birling away doing its wee output thing 100ft down the garden. Even throwing out 300/400 watts would make me happy. Extensive research to completely endorse all you guys are saying needed to just shut myself down. Smiley I thank you all for every single bit of input ongoing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:50:31 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kwh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
nowty

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 11:02:01 AM »

OMG I just looked at those GigaTurbines ! wackoold

A 30w turbine for 400, yes that's not a misprint its only 30w !

And they say its only a 5 year payback.  hysteria

flyingpig chocolateteapot flyingpig

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
280,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 11:24:02 AM »

I know, 30W, if it works at all. I love the pictures of the use case of them being strapped to your rucksack whilst you're out hiking so that you can charge your USB devices!  I mean come on - a small solar panel is proven to work in those situations. How's it going to get any airflow if it's literally attached to a bag?! 
 facepalm
 hysteria
 wackoteapot
 chocolateteapot

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »

To be completely fair & accurate that pic is to show portability,, prior to camp set up (presumably) & the 2018 kickstarter I had a nosey at also mentioned USB chargers, I guess if we break through the marketing BS that's how it plays out, using stored charge on the move that was harvested previously, not a spinning, charging micro turbine.

But yep, still.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »

Generates 30w at 13mps or  just short of force 7 near gale beaufort.
For 399
Even their own publicity is a joke.

Kidwelly South Wales
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »

The guy at FCL said they started using that turbine on marine applications - putting them on Yachts etc where they "work really well".  Do we believe even that?

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 03:43:02 PM »

I believe everything,
              Anything and nothing said Cleauseau the Inspector..
  Now you know   he wasn't  so slow.
 But there is excellent  security with one of those Vawts perched on your rucksack as you tramp through over the highways of Aussieland. Or any land.
  Yay,  Imagine a bandit waiting in the darkness as you stomp up the Road. There you are crouched down into the wind, your Faithfull Vawt charging away like billyho and your heaters in your pocket toasty  roasty,  Your laptop fully charged and your phone topped up to the gills..
 The luckless bandit would jump out of the darkness fully intending to land on the broad of your back and drag you to the ground., Alas and slack, those blades of doom, spinning unseen at 2 000 rpm ,would render him a faceless wonder.. You would hardly feel it and all along the highways and byways you would leave a rial of sorry faceless bandits..
Barman, put the same up again, I cannae stay lads  I'm  lame on one leg and have a wooden stump on the other, I have had enough 
          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
pantsmachine

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 07:43:42 PM »

Biff you are wonderfully alt, good on ye. Adding 1 more battery to the stack would have a roi of 6 years going on the last year's discharge profile on the 2 already in use. Will need to be scavenging details on how much made it past the I boost to see if its worth buying.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:45:58 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kwh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
pantsmachine

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »

Hey Guys, I resisted the wt urge for a good while then swmbo started on wouldn't it be great in the Winter months etc..  TBH, I caved really easily!

Hey ho, next up I've got a 12v ac 3 phase 600w vawt on its way from china. Built a pole( forgot how much I enjoy fabrication and welding), vibration isolated at 3 points. All running into a 80 amp leisure battery out of my Bongo via a wild ac to dc controller and out via a 800watt capable 240 ac inverter. Fitted the blades last and it started straight off, not stopped since (ahem 2 hours)!

It was fantastic to feel it respond as I added the 2nd blade, absolutely silent running:) 1st positive has been a charge of the phone, off out for a pint!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:31:47 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kwh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
todthedog