navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone running lux AC inverter, or Tesla powerwall  (Read 9653 times)
Solarchaser

« on: August 22, 2019, 06:18:43 PM »

Hello all, I'm thinking of swapping out my sofar me3000sp for something that can output a bit more power.

Something I cant control is the wife... and her incessant need to have 3 white goods on at a time.
The sofar is a great system, but once its reached max output, there is still 2kw required from the grid to satisfy demand.

So I had a look at a tesla powerwall,  which is aesthetically very nice, but it's very pricey, and not expandable... except buying another.

And I am still considering it.

However the Lux parallel system can be added to in a modular way, both in terms of the batteries and the inverters.

So I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience of either system and could list the pros and cons as they see it?
nowty

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »

Something I cant control is the wife... and her incessant need to have 3 white goods on at a time.
The sofar is a great system, but once its reached max output, there is still 2kw required from the grid to satisfy demand.

This is the problem I ran into with the Sofar, great product, just not enough power for our needs.

Hence changing to a 8kW Sunny Island which in itself is a bit of a con as it only does 6kW in grid tied mode but that's generally enough.

I believe if you go for the LUX parallel system you have to buy a special version as the standard one won't do parallel operation and I have no idea how they deal with the load share between themselves and you have to have two battery banks.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
280,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Solarchaser

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »

Yeah think renewables has them listed and I believe available.
You are correct as always, they need separate battery banks, so as with the sofar you need 3 pylon batteries to get max output, so 6 if 2, 9 if 3 etc etc
mbeast

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »

Yeah think renewables has them listed and I believe available.
You are correct as always, they need separate battery banks, so as with the sofar you need 3 pylon batteries to get max output, so 6 if 2, 9 if 3 etc etc

I have 2 x Lux LXP5000 hybrid parallel units that cost me @2500 for the pair and 6 x pylontec US3000 which cost 850 + vat each ATM.

I get just over 20 Kwh power from the 6 batteries at a max of 6 Kwh.
the UPS is handy if you ever need it in the UK, only bad thing I find about them is the zero export function doesn't stop the unit form exporting power (up to 0.7 Kwh per day seems to go back to the grid when it could be charging my batteries which I do find really annoying).

HTH

Mark

2 x LXP5K Hybrid Inverter's
6 x Pylontech US3000 Batteries
40 x 285w Panels
dickster

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »

Got a Powerwall 2 10 months ago.

I'm not particularly technically minded, so opted for the plug and play, pay through the nose option. Max output around 3.7 kW I think.

I'm extremely pleased with it. About to have the Tesla Gateway controller changed to version 2 which allows us to use battery and/or sunshine in a power cut. Her outdoors wanted this more than I did!
Caesium

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:24:08 AM »

the UPS is handy if you ever need it in the UK, only bad thing I find about them is the zero export function doesn't stop the unit form exporting power (up to 0.7 Kwh per day seems to go back to the grid when it could be charging my batteries which I do find really annoying).

That's curious - my recently fitted LXP 3600 ACS persistently imports about 60 watts while charging and discharging the batteries. Clearly when they're full then it has no choice but to start exporting, but I would rather the otherwise permanent import was a little lower! Sadly it doesn't seem to be configurable Sad

Could easily be manufacturing intolerances as to how much they import/export, or maybe the hybrids are slightly different from my simpler ACS model.

3.99kWp Solar PV :: LXP3600ACS + 14.4kWh Pylontech US2000
Ruby LXP Packet Library
Octopus Agile/LuxPower inverter integration script
mbeast

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 12:04:07 AM »

That's curious - my recently fitted LXP 3600 ACS persistently imports about 60 watts while charging and discharging the batteries. Clearly when they're full then it has no choice but to start exporting, but I would rather the otherwise permanent import was a little lower! Sadly it doesn't seem to be configurable Sad

Could easily be manufacturing intolerances as to how much they import/export, or maybe the hybrids are slightly different from my simpler ACS model.

http://server.luxpowertek.com/WManage/web/login

from there, there is the matain tab to change settings.

i'd rather have it draw 60 watts than keep exporting random 30 to 800 watts when it could be going into the batteries and then sometimes it will charge from the grid and solar  wackoold

40 x 285w Panels
Caesium

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »

I'm familiar with the maintenance page, but there's no setting to change whether it imports or exports while charging right?

I do confess to not understanding what some of the settings on that page do, mind.. "Feed-in Grid"? "DCI Enable"? "GFCI Enable"? Also not sure I understand the difference between "Run Without Grid Enable" and "Micro-Grid Enable", they seem like the same thing. That page really needs a few more help text popups Smiley

Ruby LXP Packet Library
Solarchaser

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, interesting to see the tesla doesnt output as much as stated.
I'm pretty sure I'm not going Tesla. just because I can have almost double the storage for the same price.

How do you find the lux parallel operation?

If the load is 1kw do they share 500w each, or is the master outputing 1000 while slave sits at zero?
Hows the ramp up and down times for demand?
mbeast

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 09:40:48 PM »

I agree that the Lux settings are not very helpful and I just keep trying random settings.

The parallel units are different to the standard units and have to have 2x network cables that link them together, They seem to split the load / discharge between themselves and are set up as master and slave but can be set to different phases if used for 3 phase output.

I have 2 strings of 10 x 285w sunedison panels pointing SW and the same for SW and both inverters get a string from each direction so the input to them is fairly closely matched from the panels.

HTH
Mark

40 x 285w Panels
Solarchaser

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »

Very helpful,  thanks very much
nowty

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 09:55:33 PM »

I found that the Sofar me3000sp constantly imported about 20 to 30 watts which was a little annoying, as it meant I imported a kWh every few days.

Now I have a Sunny Island, it lets me give a (+ or -) grid point offset so I can tweek it to zero, so now I only import about 1kWh per month.

Caesium

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 07:38:46 AM »

That's good to know nowty - would you say generally the Sunny Island is more configurable than the Sofar (and the LXP, I guess those two are very similar to each other).

Probably a bit late for me to change now unless I can offload the LXP at near purchase price but I'll have to check out some documentation for the Sunny Islands Smiley

Ruby LXP Packet Library
nowty

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »

That's good to know nowty - would you say generally the Sunny Island is more configurable than the Sofar (and the LXP, I guess those two are very similar to each other).

The Sunny Island is a lot more configurable, a little more complicated to set up but also has great web based monitoring and web based programming for E7 grid based charging.

The only thing it does not do which you can do with the Sofar (and possibly the LUX), is to do a timed forced discharge to the grid in case you want to take advantage of something like the Octopus Outgoing tariff where you can get paid more for export between 4pm and 7pm.

Caesium

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »

I found that the Sofar me3000sp constantly imported about 20 to 30 watts which was a little annoying, as it meant I imported a kWh every few days.

Now I have a Sunny Island, it lets me give a (+ or -) grid point offset so I can tweek it to zero, so now I only import about 1kWh per month.

Had a bit of a brainwave regarding this, this morning. I realised that even though I can't tweak my inverter grid point offset like this, I can influence the value it sees (the CT). My inverter always tries to keep around 60W importing, so I ran another wire through the grid CT which has an additional 60W load on it.

The net result is now the inverter thinks there is 120W coming into the house, and adjusts accordingly - voila, meter stops spinning. I'll see what the results are like over the next few days, if anything I may be slightly exporting now. But conveniently I have a few low-power loads right next to my inverter that I can shift on or off this fool-wire to tweak it (router, wifi, switch, even a raspberry pi might be enough to make the difference) Smiley

The important thing is these loads were already powered anyway so I've not introduced additional house load to make this happen, which would defeat the point.

The only downside I can think of here is the inverter will report slightly inaccurate figures for total house load now, but I don't care - I don't use those figures anyway, I use my home-brew energy monitor for that with my own CTs.

Ruby LXP Packet Library
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: