navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK fracking hits 2.1  (Read 336 times)
dan_b

SW London

« on: August 25, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »

... on the Richter scale.
Now I know the previous discussion was on whether the previous fracking tremors were so small as to be undetectable above ground but at what point does it get big enough to be a structural problem for buildings above ground?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/25/uk-fracking-site-near-blackpool-reports-largest-tremor-yet

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
M

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »

I'm starting to wonder just what it will take for this government to end fracking, officially (since they seem to be half promoting it and half obstructing it now)?

I love the line they stick with:

The government has said the extraction of shale gas through fracking could support the UK’s transition to net-zero greenhouse gas emissions.

I'm struggling to see how investing in a new UK industry, to extract otherwise 'dead and buried' carbon will help us to transition. The vast majority of known FF reserves can never be extracted, so why invest in more.

It looks likely now that over the last decade the US fracking industry is responsible for more than half of all the increased methane emissions in the World, whilst losing $100bn's.

So we could invest in more RE, more storage, bio-gas, insulation, electric heating etc etc, but instead our government wants to pick a loser, and invest in that instead. It makes my head spin. Any day now I'm expecting the UK government to announce a new vehicular policy in conjunction with VW clean diesels?  Undecided

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »

Now at 2.9.

Latest fracking tremor believed to be UK's biggest yet

Houses shook as 2.9-magnitude quake recorded near Cuadrilla’s site near Blackpool on Monday

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »

I think the late and much missed Martin once described a minister as ,'frackwit', covers my thoughts exactly.

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: