navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of heat from London underground  (Read 365 times)
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« on: August 28, 2019, 08:29:34 AM »

Some joined-up thinking here!
A light-bulb moment in Lahndun: Heat to be recovered from the tube and used for domestic purposes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49482840

Hoo - Ray! Why didn't I think of this?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
azps

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 09:03:07 AM »

Some joined-up thinking here!
A light-bulb moment in Lahndun: Heat to be recovered from the tube and used for domestic purposes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49482840

Hoo - Ray! Why didn't I think of this?

A few people thought of it. What was missing was work on studying where a readily-tapped source was within easy reach of a readily-supplied demand. Although, to be honest, when we did the study, I genuinely didn't believe that LU would ever actually accept having the kit installed into their infrastructure, given their resistance to installing mere temperature sensors on the tunnel walls!

AndrewE

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »

I think they have been working on this for quite a few years now, but I haven't found a link to an article I read a while ago.  It's so obvious you can't understand why it wasn't done a decade ago, except that they are probably so busy trying to keep the basic show on the road that they can't /daren't take their eye off that ball.
In summer I suspect that they would also benefit by taking heat out of ventilating air being drawn in to the Tube, as long as condensation doesn't corrode other equipment...
azps

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:25:48 PM »

they are probably so busy trying to keep the basic show on the road that they can't /daren't take their eye off that ball.

Haha. Like I might have mentioned earlier: before I had worked at TfL, I was amazed at how badly the Tube ran. Once I'd worked there, I was amazed that it ran at all.

The engineers are working with several legacy systems, some of which are really quite ancient. They do a phenomenal job in keeping the basic show on the road as much as they do.

Yeah, that problem with pumping a load of cold air down there, knowing you're not going to find out until way too late, where all the condensation is happening ...

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »

Some other waste-heat recovery schemes are mentioned in the Guardian’s item.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/26/underground-line-to-heat-up-london-homes-during-winter

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 02:20:35 AM »

The Munich underground provides heat to the citys district heating network.
Helsingborg in Sweden got creative and contoversial when the district heat network was connected to a waste heat exchanger fitted to the city's crematorium.
There was a gentleman speaking on BBC weatherworld this week talking about the hot London underground. Apparantly it only got hot when extended above ground when the routes were extended to the outer suburbs. He said that a major source of the heat was due to the trainsets being solar heated when above ground and carrying the heat underground. Coating the trains in solar reflective paint and more suitable window glass as used in Melbourne, Australia, would massively improve the situation.
Philip R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: