navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LuxPower network protocol decoding  (Read 10400 times)
guybw

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »

Hi all-
So I seems I have an issue with Octolux that I just cannot get past, I suspect it's my firmware version as the inverter is responding with "something" but Octolux just can't decode it correctly and I'm out of my depth with that.

Has anyone had any success with Node-Red talking directly to the Lux inverter? Would you be kind enough to share the code if you have?

Thanks!
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »

Hi Chris,

I've installed two LUX LXP3600ACS AC Controllers set up as a parallel configuration. Each inverter has 2 x PylonTech US3000 batteries connected.

I have been using your fabulous Octolux to monitor the system and it works fine but it only reads the primary controller. I need to be able to monitor the secondary device and sum the two inverters' outputs together in emonpi to get realistic values.

Can I run two instances of octolux together on the one Pi or can the Ruby be modified to deal with two inverters?

Another question: The total house power needs to be missing or does this need to be summed from other readings?

Cheers! Andy

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
LUX LXP3600ACS x2 in Parallel
4 x US3000 PylonTech Batteries
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »

Update, I've now modified Chris' code to monitor both the master and slave inverters separately. This is fed into a bit of NodeRed to split out the feeds and inject it into Emonpi via MQTT.

Since there are two inverter streams, there needs to be a bit of maths performed to get the correct results. Still working on it but it's looking good!

Andy

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »

The Master/ Slave code is now available at https://github.com/AndyWhittaker/octolux in case you want to look.

I've been running two Lux LXP3600 Inverters in Master/Slave mode for a few weeks now. Even though they can successfully handle large discharges above 3.6kw, below that power is a little disappointing because only one battery bank is chosen to handle the load.

This eventually results in that inverter's battery bank discharging to the minimum SOC before the other one takes over. This means that if the load were to peak, only 3.6kw would be able to be supplied.

I've asked the UK distributor and was told LUX are looking into changing the way this works in the firmware but I suspect it will not be soon....

I think configuring the inverters to share the batteries would be a solution but I'm told PylonTech batteries have not been tested in this configuration. You would also be probably double the charge time which might mean you miss your cheap charge window especially if you are on the Octopus Go tariff with a big battery.

I currently have 4 x PylonTech US3000s and a pair of these take 2 hours to go from 20% to 100% SOC.

Andy

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
kdmnx

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »

The Master/ Slave code is now available at https://github.com/AndyWhittaker/octolux in case you want to look.

I've been running two Lux LXP3600 Inverters in Master/Slave mode for a few weeks now. Even though they can successfully handle large discharges above 3.6kw, below that power is a little disappointing because only one battery bank is chosen to handle the load.

This eventually results in that inverter's battery bank discharging to the minimum SOC before the other one takes over. This means that if the load were to peak, only 3.6kw would be able to be supplied.

I've asked the UK distributor and was told LUX are looking into changing the way this works in the firmware but I suspect it will not be soon....

I think configuring the inverters to share the batteries would be a solution but I'm told PylonTech batteries have not been tested in this configuration. You would also be probably double the charge time which might mean you miss your cheap charge window especially if you are on the Octopus Go tariff with a big battery.

I currently have 4 x PylonTech US3000s and a pair of these take 2 hours to go from 20% to 100% SOC.

Andy

I do think that putting the batteries into a single pack will solve your problems.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »

Agreed but I'm a little nervous because the distributor suggested that this was untested/ unproven :-(

I might make up a set of battery link leads tomorrow and give it a go for a small test.

Andy

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2020, 04:52:54 PM »

The battery discharge balancing is getting better, I was about to reconfigure to use the batteries in a shared arrangement but the firmware has been updated by Lux again, so I decided to hold-off for a while.

What I am now seeing is once one of the batteries discharges to ~52% SOC, the other inverter kicks in - not perfect but better. Apparently Lux are tweaking the firmware on my setup to get the discharging optimised.

FYI my firmware is BAAB-0404

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
Sunseeker24

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2020, 10:30:31 AM »

Great experience exchange about the Lux here :-) and excited how the parallel operation will perform. We distribute the Luxpower/Sunny5 in Germany and evaluate solutions for further api/mqtt integration, solar powered ev charging and smart home integration (iobroker) for the Lux. More to come soon, preview: http://mark.sunny5.de:2020
Another good news: We just passed the tests for a new firmware with the lux engineers to operate at 4000W charge/discharge power with the hybrid inverter. So the price/value in combination with pylontech will be very competative.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 02:20:25 PM by Sunseeker24 » Logged
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2020, 10:44:54 AM »

Update:

The parallel set-up now seems to be working correctly:

The firmware has remained the same though at BAAB-0404.

The only remaining issue I've got is recently when powering directly on-grid, the reported powers are exactly half what they should be. I think Lux have mistakenly altered a scaling factor for the current clamp. I have multiplied the octolux grid power (p_to_user) by 2 to correct that.

Since the firmware does not appear to have been updated, this suggests that there are some hidden settings which we do not know of....

Andy

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
DaveWinwood

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »

Hi,

I'm using Octolux and have been since June with a Lux Hybrid Inverter. I use Node Red and MQTT to get the data and in my updated system pass that to Influxdb and use Grafana to visualise the data. I have an issue where the data output slows right down and starts sending historical data. I have been polling at 5 sec rate (sending the MQTT topic octolux/cmd/read_input with 1/2/3 payload). Has anyone else seen this issue? I have to  reboot my RPi400 (great new machine!)) to get back to normal operation. Also - what is the formula for calculating house consumption?

Thanks,

Dave

24 x 300W PV (split 11 + 13 on two sides of a roof, 11 face W and 13 face E, roof slope is 25 degs)
Lux Power Tek 5kW hybrid inverter
Pylontech 2000 x 3
Raspberry Pi plus other various Arduino based hardware to add monitoring and control features.
Octopus Agile
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2020, 02:26:15 PM »

I think there is a bug in the Ruby Gem that queries the Inverter, I see numerous errors when I run it in a Ubuntu WSL session on my Windows 10 machine. Normally on a Pi you just notice it go slow.

To calculate the house consumption power, I use

HouseConsumption = p_inv + p_pv + p_to_user - BatteryChargeRate

BatteryChargeRate = p_charge - p_discharge

That seems to work for me but I haven't had this system going for very long. I generally log the raw MQTT values to new Feeds first and then use the Feeds to construct the real values with a big sum because it seems to be more reliable that way (and I read somewhere a note from of the EmonCMS developers recommending to do it that way).

I query the inverter every 30 seconds but I think the inverter only sends out a new measurement every two minutes.

Andy

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
DaveWinwood

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2020, 10:28:17 AM »

Thanks Andy.

I tried quite a few combinations of calculating house consumption - with and without PV power but I will now try your exact sums. You can definitely get a higher update rate than 2 minutes - I have tried 1 sec polling and it seems to respond to load changes and report correctly. I will dig deeper into the data hang up and if I find something specific I will report it here and on Github. I'm using the single unit version.

24 x 300W PV (split 11 + 13 on two sides of a roof, 11 face W and 13 face E, roof slope is 25 degs)
Lux Power Tek 5kW hybrid inverter
Pylontech 2000 x 3
Raspberry Pi plus other various Arduino based hardware to add monitoring and control features.
Octopus Agile
IanEagland

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »

Hi Dave

I contacted you a while back re sharing your node red flows. I didn't follow up at the time as Covid rather interrupted my plans. Also in the summer solar charged the batteries. Now I am relying on Agile I need to revisit this. I am using Octolux but it doesn't match my use profile very well so I would like to try creating my own daily schedule and see if I can do better. Are you using Octolux purely to receive MQTT commands?
If so what do you do in Octolux config.ini and rules file to prevent Octolux controlling the Lux so that you control with MQTT only?

We live in combined live/work premises with the the Lux serving mainly a work area. Consumption runs at a fairly steady base level up to around 14:00 when some fairly high loads start and run to about 17:30 when it drops back to base level.
Maybe my issue is I haven't understood Octolux rules because on a number of occasions I have got close to 16:00 with insufficient charge to cover the 16:00 - 19:00 high cost Agile period.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Ian
AndyWhittaker

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »

Bearing in mind that I have a Master/ Slave setup, here are my Node-RED flows:

[{"id":"8213bb6b.805678","type":"tab","label":"Lux AC Controller Read","disabled":false,"info":""},{"id":"f42339fb.91e39","type":"mqtt in","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"Master Lux Inputs","topic":"octolux/masterinputs/1/#","qos":"0","datatype":"json","broker":"58db7.a795fa494","x":130,"y":200,"wires":[["85734c36.9539"]]},{"id":"9421875f.721698","type":"debug","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"payload","targetType":"msg","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":530,"y":180,"wires":[]},{"id":"85734c36.9539","type":"json","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"","property":"payload","action":"","pretty":false,"x":320,"y":280,"wires":[["9421875f.721698","40471356.b3a484"]]},{"id":"40471356.b3a484","type":"emoncms","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"Emoncms Master Push","emonServer":"dafb720e.6724f","nodegroup":"LuxMaster","datatype":"legacy","x":580,"y":280,"wires":[]},{"id":"ea1758d4.1aed8","type":"mqtt in","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"Slave Lux Inputs","topic":"octolux/slaveinputs/1/#","qos":"0","datatype":"json","broker":"58db7.a795fa494","x":130,"y":520,"wires":[["370f2737.e419e"]]},{"id":"370f2737.e419e","type":"json","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"","property":"payload","action":"","pretty":false,"x":330,"y":580,"wires":[["383c2a1a.55d42e","c9899028.62b33"]]},{"id":"383c2a1a.55d42e","type":"emoncms","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"Emoncms Slave Push","emonServer":"dafb720e.6724f","nodegroup":"LuxSlave","datatype":"legacy","x":580,"y":560,"wires":[]},{"id":"c9899028.62b33","type":"debug","z":"8213bb6b.805678","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"payload","targetType":"msg","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":530,"y":640,"wires":[]},{"id":"58db7.a795fa494","type":"mqtt-broker","z":"","name":"Localhost","broker":"localhost","port":"1883","clientid":"","usetls":false,"compatmode":false,"keepalive":"60","cleansession":true,"birthTopic":"","birthQos":"0","birthPayload":"","closeTopic":"","closeQos":"0","closePayload":"","willTopic":"","willQos":"0","willPayload":""},{"id":"dafb720e.6724f","type":"emoncms-server","z":"","server":"http://localhost","name":"EmonWrite"}]

There are very simple and are just used to post Octolux's MQTT outputs into EmonCMS.

Andy

Andy Whittaker
Prestbury, UK

4KW Solar PV
HYD6000 Hybrid Inverter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: