navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PV in Parallel  (Read 1144 times)
ecogeorge

« on: September 07, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »

H i folks  -i'm asking something i should know the answer to , but need some reassurance ..........
I have acquired 2 solar panels -each 250w , open circuit voltage approx 38v
i have an inverter (350 w max - 60v input max)
Can i connect these 2 panels in  parallel ? orientation will be vertical and there will be shading on both at different times.
Location of panels is non negotiable .
rgds George
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:52:48 AM »

This topic has arisen before, and I was one of the arguers fume
The question arose of putting panels in parallel and how they would behave: I was all for inserting a diode  in one leg of each panel to prevent reverse current flow into a shaded panel. Others said it was not necessary to do so.
In the end I opted to go for no-diodes option, contrary to what I believed from tech-college education. It has all worked OK since. Embarrassed
This topic recently arose on a channel that I follow, where I posted my reasoning in the comments. (as nlo114):

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRMLvzEgvcE&t=4s>

If the link does not work, here is my comment:
I had a robust argument with a few members of a forum I belong to re. panels in parallel. I advocated fitting a Schottky diode in series with each panel to prevent reverse feeding in shade. The others said don't bother. I conceded defeat and left the diodes out, after a lot of head-scratching.
My logical conclusion goes like this:
1. None of my panels will ever be covered by a totally opaque sheet of anything.
2. The graph on the manufacturers data sheet shows that the voltage output of the panel is almost constant from max. insolation to min. insolation, only the current varies.
3. In almost any light, with no load, the voltage is almost the same, whether unshaded or translucently occluded.
4, Once the panels are illuminated, the MPPT regulates the terminal voltage to what it finds best, always below Voc
5, Therefore, if one panel is fully lit, and the others are cloud/tree shaded, the voltage will stay the same across each panel, but the current each panel contributes to the total will be in proportion the the illumination.
6. With one of my panels behind a tree shadow, and the rest fully illuminated, the Voc of the shadowed panel is higher than the Vmp of the other 5.
7. Connecting the shadowed panel in parallel with the others it's voltage drops to match, and marginally increases the total current by a few mA.
My experiments proved my original argument on the forum wrong, diodes unnecessary unless the shadow is a cardboard sheet on the surface of the panel. I ate humble pie; the money saved was worth a pint, and 25W loss on a cool bright day.
Just my tuppence worth!

So stick 'em in parallel! Grin

Something that turned up though, was the 'Ideal Diode', which was something I had been trying to devise as part of my intended diode-experiments.
Anyone trying to charge 2 lead-acid batteries from one supply without them interacting when the supply is removed, may find it useful. This could apply to RV's, campers, caravans, home battery systems etc. Lower losses than the old-fashioned Lucas split-charge diode unit.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
nowty

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 05:53:08 PM »

Probably fine in parallel as the inverter should current limit or power limit. Shading wont matter and Iím in the you donít need a diode camp.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Justme

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »

Its a mute point as you cant fit them in series as you will blow the controller.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
TT

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 10:24:29 PM »

Isn't the open circuit volts read under standard test conditions?
My house in scotland doesn't come close to STC, so probably wouldn't achieve 72 volts
oliver90owner

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 10:35:46 PM »

Its a mute point as you cant fit them in series as you will blow the controller.

If one is shaded while the other is Ďoperationalí, in series connection will result in very low production all the time.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »

What controller will you be using, and do you intend to expand your system?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
ecogeorge

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »

Unsure if this question aimed at me?

First post say parallel and controller max 60v . Chinese joby i already have.
Will not be expanding as controller max 350w.
Its 2 x 250w panels to go on a vertical wall ,will post pics when up.
George
nowty

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:56 AM »

Thatís fine as you will never get more than 350w from those two panels on a wall.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: