navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solartwin  (Read 1468 times)
spencer1885

« on: September 19, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »

Any one had experience of solartwin thermal panels?
One for sale on fleabay complete so I did a search on the internet and the panels use silicone pipe to heat the water.
This does not sound very efficient
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
jotec

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »

Do know about solartwin but I made my own panel with silicone tube. It has worked well for years and gives us all our hot water in the sunny months. We have to use the immersion heater an perhaps 10 days a year to boost it. We use our own wood to heat house and CH in cold weather so it is not needed when the CH is on.

Aiming to reduce dependency on 'mains energy'. Own bio for 40k miles, solar water heating (DIY),  CHP done blog at http://www.dpks.co.uk/CHP/main.htm (not always up to date!)
spencer1885

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 11:39:08 AM »

That doesn't sound to bad
My parants have vacuum tube type and I've not been to interested in it but after  some research I'm thinking Thermal solar is a brilliant thing to have
Also some people are using thermal solar to heat the house which I'd not considered before

jotec

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 06:02:21 PM »

That doesn't sound to bad
My parants have vacuum tube type and I've not been to interested in it but after  some research I'm thinking Thermal solar is a brilliant thing to have
Also some people are using thermal solar to heat the house which I'd not considered before

It saves us a lot but then it didnít cost much. If you have pv then a solar boost works well I have one in daughters cabin and that keeps her water hot. Not convinced on the merit of thermal solar for house heating as when it is cold there is not too much sun to use.

Aiming to reduce dependency on 'mains energy'. Own bio for 40k miles, solar water heating (DIY),  CHP done blog at http://www.dpks.co.uk/CHP/main.htm (not always up to date!)
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 07:34:11 PM »

The solartwin system I once had experience of in a holiday home I stayed in had the silicone pipes run down into the airing cupboard and teed directly into the pipes at top and bottom of the cylinder.
Just consider how much water might leak if one of those silicone tubes splits with airing regularly being dragged against them?
Not sure if this was a bodge job or the manufacturers recommended method - but it certainly made me cringe at the thought. I would use maybe 8mm microbore copper (well insulated if in loft) up to the panel if I were to install such a panel.
Also the 12V pump made a right old noise when it got going in full sun - echoing throught the timber house structure like a good-un.
Regards
Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
vantheman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 08:23:11 AM »

I have had a gravity controlled soartwin vacuum tube installation for some 12 years now which has been very successful in contributing to
my DHS. The system includes a 12v pump which is thermostatically triggered only when the temperature is <2 degrees in the  manifold to
avoid freezing.
Apart from its reliability and simplicity the main advantage is that the tank is heated from the  top down and any solar gain is imediately available
in the form of hot water rather than the conventional indirect system where the tank takes much longer to react,.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: