navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving FiT to Octopus Export Tariff Question  (Read 943 times)
marshman

« on: October 01, 2019, 08:38:24 PM »

I am on the original FiT tariff with SSE - have been with SSE since the start. At the time of the install I was also with SSE for supply and they had a deal to get an export meter fitted for no cost. I did this as I knew I would export far more than the deemed 50%. The situation is different now as I fitted a solar diverter so actual export is down to around 20% - not worried about it as a) it is only a small difference of approx 40 per year b) morally it is  right that I get paid for what I actually export and c) since install I am probably still better off for having had the meter fitted. I moved from SSE to GB Energy for my supply, they went bust and I was moved to Co-op. I stuck with them and signed up to a 3 year fix which worked for me. Co-op have now "partnered"  with Octopus, effectively transferring their business to them.

Now on to my questions:

1. Does anyone know if I can transfer my FiT "business" to Octopus from SSE? (I have tolerated SSE's slow payment times but now they have sold off their domestic supply business not sure if it will get worse still - if that is possible!)

2. If I do manage to transfer to Octopus, and they can and will accept the export readings, could I be eligible for their "outgoing octopus" export payments or is the export payment linked to your FiT tariff?

3. I only have 3.15kW of PV and am considering fitting another 3kW facing SW to capture late afternoon sun [if I get DNO permission].  I know I will get no FiT payments for the "new" 3kW but what happens about the export as it is metered?  The new system would be totally separate from the FiTs system but obviously any outgoing power would be recorded by the export meter.

4. Can you "opt" to change from metered to 50% deemed export? If I could then this would remove any need to involve the "FiTs" system, I wouldn't feel guilty as I would probably be exporting far more than the deemed 50% of the original system anyway during the course of the year.

Thanks fro any insights

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
A.L.

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »

1. Yes. They are required to accept FIT transfers if they have more than 50000 customers

2. You have to give up your FIT export payment and there is no connection to your Generation FITs. But I believe the system (including the extension) has to be MCS certified!

3. Since you will have given up the FIT export tariff the export meter is irrelevant. Octopus will use  smart meter to record your total export and pay accordingly.

4. You could if you were staying where you are and the extension does not affect the FIT generation meter, but since you are moving and giving up the export payment it is irrelevant.
marshman

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »

Thanks, the "MCS" bit for export payments on the extension would be a show stopper. I would rather do without export payments and install the extra 3kW myself, otherwise I would never get my money back.

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
JohnS

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »

Have a read of this thread.

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30640.0.html

If you go for your extra PV, you would probably benefit from Agile tariff. 
You can see from a question that I asked, that the export payment is not based on the age of the system, so it could be useful for your proposal.  I am sure that Zach might be along to answer your question. Or PM him.

If the DNO has to give you permission, might they not require the new installation to be to a certain standard?

John

2.1kWp solar PV
marshman

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »

Thanks for prompting me to re-read the Octopus thread. I missed the bit in the middle re export tariffs.

Don't think Agile will work for me as I have a GSHP & MHRV system that both run 24/7 and a "dearly beloved" who tolerates my energy saving efforts but is not overly co-operative over "time of use" - after nearly 10 years will still "discuss" use of appliances when the sun is shining!!

I am interested in the fact that the FiT related export payment does not appear to be tied to the FiT generation payment (other than if you get 50% deemed export).  Does this mean that I could connect another system (assuming DNO approval etc.) and not worry that it adds to the export reading on the existing system?

With regards to MCS, I wasn't aware that the DNO required MCS, just that the system was safe and complied with the regs. (G83/59 or what ever the latest is for a particular system). I believe several on here have done their own DIY systems.

Roger

JohnS

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »

With regards to MCS, I wasn't aware that the DNO required MCS, just that the system was safe and complied with the regs. (G83/59 or what ever the latest is for a particular system). I believe several on here have done their own DIY systems.

Roger

I am not saying that the DNO require MCS.  I am just saying that I don't know what they need to certify a system, especially an addition into the G59 replacement realm.  I got lost trying to read what the documents were trying to say, especially as I have no opportunity to go that way.
Given your (or your wife's) level of self consumption, have you considered an inverter which limits the total export to 16 amps, such as some of the newer SMAs. 

2.1kWp solar PV
A.L.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »

hello again,

I am interested in the fact that the FiT related export payment does not appear to be tied to the FiT generation payment (other than if you get 50% deemed export).  Does this mean that I could connect another system (assuming DNO approval etc.) and not worry that it adds to the export reading on the existing system?

If a new system adds to the export reading it would be considered fraudulent. MCS is not required, for a system to be connected to the grid, only that it meets all of the DNO's requirements, as you suggest. Obviously the installation should also meet BS7671.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:36:56 PM by A.L. » Logged
Fintray

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 02:46:44 AM »

I'm with Octopus for my supply but my FIT's payments still come from SSE, I asked them about transferring onto the Outgoing Agile tariff.
So when I transfer (shortly, as I've been waiting for the smart meter to be fitted) my FIT's generation payments stay with SSE but Octopus pays me for the export, which averages out at a slightly higher rate than what is currently being paid.

There is nothing fraudulent about having another system adding to the export reading it would be however if it added to the generation reading of the existing FIT's system. If you are on a good FIT's rate you wouldn't want to do anything that would jeopardise that!

My non FIT's PV system uses Solaredge inverters that can be set to limit their export so you stay within whatever limit the DNO has allowed.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
A.L.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »

There is nothing fraudulent about having another system adding to the export reading it would be however if it added to the generation reading of the existing FIT's system. If you are on a good FIT's rate you wouldn't want to do anything that would jeopardise that!

If you are still receiving the metered FIT export payment then adding the exported kWhrs from a PV extension to the FIT export meter certainly would be as any new system is now non-FIT. Only if you are moving to Octopus, which the OP has said he will not be, because his PV extension will not be installed to MCS specification would it be O.K.
nowty

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »

I agree with A.L. here, the confusion is that there are now two measured export schemes.

The original FIT measured export scheme which has two rates of 3.82p or 5.38p depending on when you had your install done. This is tied into your FIT contract and is RPI increase guaranteed for your FIT contract period. I certainly remember from this forum, a number of years ago that FIT providers said any DIY PV extensions would invalidate the export part.

Now there is the new second scheme of Smart Export Guarantee (SEG), seems to have no time limits or any guaranteed rates and is unsubsidised. Its whatever the suppliers are willing to pay, could be more or less than the FIT export rates.

The surprising complexity is that it seems to be OK to opt out of the FIT export scheme and join the SEG export scheme although its not clear to me if you can opt back into the FIT export scheme (deemed or measured) for the remainder of your FIT contract if you want to.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: