navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hinges For Bi-Fold Doors  (Read 9136 times)
danmc_82

« on: October 13, 2019, 10:15:46 PM »

Hi All,

Hope this is in the right place.

Last year I bought from Bi-fold doors off the internet. I got a really good price because they came direct from the manufacturer. I knew I wouldnt be installing them for a while so stored them in the shed.

A year later I fitted them in my kitchen but I'm missing 6 hinges. I have two hinges per door (3 doors) but should be 4 hinges per door.

I tried to get in contact with the manufacturer but they have gone bust. So now I'm stuck with bi-fold which arnt complete. (My fault as I should have checked the contents on arrival)

I've been in contact with some hinge fabricators but no one will make the hinges I require. Im at a dead end.

These are the pictures of them installed and also the pre drilled holes in which the hinges screw in to. WOuld anyone know where/how I could get some more of these hinges whether custom made or ready made.

Thanks for your help.

* thumbnail_20190529_131841-min-min.jpg (160.77 KB, 607x1280 - viewed 399 times.)

* thumbnail_20190611_122732.jpg (166.92 KB, 609x1280 - viewed 378 times.)

* thumbnail_20190612_165618.jpg (257.21 KB, 609x1280 - viewed 359 times.)

12kw Hamlet Solution Boiler Stove,
Triple Coil Cylinder.
4Kw ASHP Pool Heater.
TT

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »

Try hafele. They pretty much do everything

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/products/architectural-ironmongery/door-hinges/a848076e7bd4e2b28b4d4f905638125e/
danmc_82

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »

Thanks for the link. I couldnt find a match to mine but have sent an enquiry to them.

If they cant help, maybe they could point me in the right direction.

Triple Coil Cylinder.
4Kw ASHP Pool Heater.
Westie

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »

We have a  friend with Tilt & Slide door and another with BiFold patio doors , both systems around 10 to 12 yrs old, both recently replaced as no one could source replacement hardware mechanical parts..... I smell a rat!

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Warble

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:52:38 PM »

Possibly with some drilling and shimming Sunflex hinges could be used:- https://parts.sunflexuk.co.uk/product/running-gear-hinge-2/
smegal

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »

Your photo looks similar to these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bifold-Door-Hinge-Black-Smarts-Visofold-1000-Bifolding-Bi-Fold-Aluminium-folding/362731701776?hash=item54747e8610:g:w5cAAOSwkW5dobau

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
danmc_82

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »

Thankyou all for your replies.

TT - The company you linked got back to me and cant help me out. I looked through their stock but no luck. They also dont do custom hinges either.

Westie - Did your friend use a company or source the hinges themselves?

Warble - Thanks for the link. They look to complicated for me Grin

smegal/biff - I have seen those hinges already. They look almost the same but they are smaller than the ones I need. They seem to be 97mm but mine are 130mm. I need to try and get the same size as there will be exposed framing where the rubber gasket would normally be. I've even tried to get hold of extra gaskit, but companys are saying they dont do that particular shape  Cry

I think my doors seem to be " one of a kind"  Roll Eyes

Triple Coil Cylinder.
4Kw ASHP Pool Heater.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »

After further study
            I removed my post. Grin.
  The new hinges would be expensive. The frames would have to be machined to accept the new baseplate.
Is it possible that the said doors only need two hinges each.? Maybe the door profiles were all originally drilled out to take hinges every 450mm allowing the door manufacturer to build doors at different heights and not need to worry about drilling and tapping holes.
   Just a thought. I used to love these kind of puzzles.
    +  setting out staircases.
       Biff
 A 130mm deep hinge which locks on to the frame line yours does is very strong, I could be right about all the pre drilled holes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:12:29 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Countrypaul

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »

The Visofold range seems to have at least 6 different designs, so you may want to check out whether they use the sort of hinges your want on the other ranges - especially if they do say a tripple glazed range which would require more substantial hinges for teh extra weight.
danmc_82

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »

After further study
            I removed my post. Grin.
  The new hinges would be expensive. The frames would have to be machined to accept the new baseplate.
Is it possible that the said doors only need two hinges each.? Maybe the door profiles were all originally drilled out to take hinges every 450mm allowing the door manufacturer to build doors at different heights and not need to worry about drilling and tapping holes.
   Just a thought. I used to love these kind of puzzles.
    +  setting out staircases.
       Biff
 A 130mm deep hinge which locks on to the frame line yours does is very strong, I could be right about all the pre drilled holes.

Hi Biff, you could be right. There are two problems though...

The 1st is that by not having the extra hinges, I dont have enough gaskit to cover the gaps where they should be.

The 2nd, I could use two hinges per door, but the middle door which has the "Pull in handle" needs to be in the middle, which means I have no hinge at the bottom.

I've marked out where 2 hinges are missing on the "Daily use door" and a picture of the missing hinge at the bottom of the folding section with the pull in handle.

Please ignore the mess, going through a kitchen renovation.

* thumbnail_20191014_143100_HDR.jpg (220.1 KB, 609x1280 - viewed 335 times.)

* thumbnail_20191014_142817.jpg (145.43 KB, 609x1280 - viewed 317 times.)

Triple Coil Cylinder.
4Kw ASHP Pool Heater.
danmc_82

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »

The Visofold range seems to have at least 6 different designs, so you may want to check out whether they use the sort of hinges your want on the other ranges - especially if they do say a tripple glazed range which would require more substantial hinges for teh extra weight.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Triple Coil Cylinder.
4Kw ASHP Pool Heater.
Countrypaul

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »

These look similar though I don't know what size they are: https://www.katuk.co.uk/doors/bifold-doors/kawneer-aluminium-bifold-doors/
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »

Ooops
     For some silly reason I imagined that it was a kitchen door unfolding in a restricted area, with verticals of 300mm and overall width of 900mm,,so I got that rather wrong and yes you will need the full 4 hinges.
          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Iain

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 02:57:54 PM »

Hi
Is it worth going to see a "Door Doctor" type person?

They must come across having to source various types of hinges to do repair jobs.

They might point you in the right direction.

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - P3 Amita Lithium Battery
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
danmc_82

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »

Hi
Is it worth going to see a "Door Doctor" type person?

They must come across having to source various types of hinges to do repair jobs.

They might point you in the right direction.

Iain

Never heard of one, I'll investigate, thanks.

Triple Coil Cylinder.
4Kw ASHP Pool Heater.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: