navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 6.4kWh battery system  (Read 1551 times)
bleem2k

« on: April 22, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »

A little bit of background - had solar for just coming up to a year now, been monitoring it closely, just recently it's been dumping out a fair bit to the grid so finally decided that a battery is a simple way forward (and also super battery envy from all the folks on here!)

I also analysed the amounts exported to grid and did some basic bucketing of the results - out of the past 365 days grid exports were -

3kWh   58%
6kWh   26%
9kWh   9%
12kWh      2%

(of days)

Based on this I thought I'd target somewhere around 6kWh of storage. I got sucked down the various rabbit holes of PylonTech, build your own, Nissan LEAF cells and so on... but on one random eBay search I spotted an ex-demo LG RESU 6.4kWh system -

The case is a bit scuffed but the battery itself seems to check out ok... anyway, received it this week, powered on, 50.4v at the output but no lights on the BMS. Stripped that down and appears the BMS PSU is dead, luckily its a standard Meanwell part so another one should be here later this week...

Decided to go for the Sofar ME3000SP, especially after the great work carried out by @greentangerine and others on the RPi forums and this thread - https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31519.msg355221.html#msg355221

So next steps -
- Fit new BMS PSU and test
- Sofar Solar due today
- Install
- Retire to a safe distance
- Throw the switch

Grin
pantsmachine

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 03:02:56 PM »

Well played.  Looking forward to seeing it all up and running. You will likely have lived one way pre solar then changed when it went in. You'll change again with the battery. It's the missing piece of the puzzle.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:07:53 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

5.12kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tub
bleem2k

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »

Thanks pantsmachine - also an Agile user so hopefully can get it all working in harmony!

Replacement PSU arrived, swapped it over, BMS has jumped in to life and we now have a green status light on the PSU & on the battery so looking good. Time to start installing...

For future reference this is a Meanwell PSD-30C-12, variable input, fixed 12v output. 13 replaced from RS online. I suspect the fuse is blown on the old one so will have a go at repairing that in the future. This assembly in the top of the battery contains the PSU on one side and the BMS on the other, you do need to unplug all the BMS connectors to get it out to work on but they are all differing sizes and keyed to go one way round.
Pile-o-stone

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 12:41:02 PM »

I'm also looking forward to reading how you get on with your new battery system as the LG RESU 6.4 is high on my radar screen. It will be interesting to see if it's as 'fit and forget' as they say (not withstanding your replaced PSU!) as my soldering iron days are very much behind me (age 19 when I completed a BTEC ONC in Electronics and moved onto a BTEC HND in Computer Studies).

Once it's installed, with the inverter in place can you post a pic?

5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
Mini Orchard and Allotment in progress
bleem2k

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »

Absolutely - the big unknown is if the inverter will talk to the battery, and if it can't, will the battery run ok without BMS. I can't find any definitive information on this but certainly the larger model (10kWh) appears to require a 'keep alive' ping on the canbus connection. So best case, it'll talk fine, worst case I've got a canbus adaptor from which I'll hack something.

Watch this space --> |                |
nowty

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »

Absolutely - the big unknown is if the inverter will talk to the battery, and if it can't, will the battery run ok without BMS. I can't find any definitive information on this but certainly the larger model (10kWh) appears to require a 'keep alive' ping on the canbus connection. So best case, it'll talk fine, worst case I've got a canbus adaptor from which I'll hack something.

I was wondering whether that battery is supported by the Sofar ME3000SP.

Have you tried powering a load from it stand alone ? If it does then all is well but unless the battery is supported you will need to set the Sofar ME3000SP up as using a default battery and use the temp sensor that comes with it (it will refuse to work without the temp sensor connected). You will need to set some appropriate voltage limits for the charger.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
290,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
bleem2k

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 07:38:42 PM »

So we appear to be live and kicking, has been working perfectly over the past 24 hours or so.  @Nowty - appears to be running v2.2 s/w - shout if you want a copy.

In the battery menu theres now an option for 'General Lithium' which appears to do what it should - BMS is connected and I *think* its communicating, unless someone knows a way to be 100% certain?

The inverter and battery aren't complaining, I can see a "battery temperature" reported on the Sofar which seems to tally to what I'd expect, also a SoC for the battery (although not sure if thats just calculated off the voltage).

The only downside I can see at the moment with the 'Generic Lithium' profile is I can't see a way to adjust the battery capacity in ah - Sofar is reporting 100ah but it should be 126ah for this battery. Set the DoD to 85% so can squeeze a little more out of it, tried setting to 90% but it just came up with a fail message when trying to save.

Few additional safety labels to fit but other than that, happy days!

pantsmachine

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 09:18:30 PM »

Outstanding, well done! Enjoy the new wrinkle in your RE arsenal.

5.12kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tub
nowty

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »

So we appear to be live and kicking, has been working perfectly over the past 24 hours or so.  @Nowty - appears to be running v2.2 s/w - shout if you want a copy.

In the battery menu theres now an option for 'General Lithium' which appears to do what it should - BMS is connected and I *think* its communicating, unless someone knows a way to be 100% certain?

Looks like you have done well with that battery purchase.

The "General Lithium" option has been there on earlier versions but it does not function without a BMS cable attached. Try unplugging the BMS cable and see if it still operates or not.

With regards the v2.2 software version, I would like a copy but I suspect you have no means of getting the software version off the machine ? I remember checking the Micro SD card in my unit and the software update files were not present on it.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
290,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
bleem2k

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 02:59:22 PM »

Cheers folks - will need to grab the SD card out and take a peek.

Just a quick thank you to @greentangerine - brought a 2 USB-RS485 adapter from flee bay, shoved it in a RPi, used your script, monitoring the ME3000 like a charm Smiley

The only quirk I've noticed is that when it's running in passive mode, if it falls back to standby, i.e. when the battery is fully discharged, it won't then go back in to auto when the PV starts kicking out in the morning. I think I saw that yourself or the other chap was sending auto every 30 mins anyway.. so I need to get this added to cron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: