navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMETS2 Smart Meter Installed Today  (Read 2149 times)
regen

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 05:47:52 AM »

I have no real objections apart from the fact that there was some confusion as to wether they worked if you have PV installed. Does the SMETS 2 overcome these problems?

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
azps

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 06:29:46 AM »

I have no real objections apart from the fact that there was some confusion as to whether they worked if you have PV installed. Does the SMETS 2 overcome these problems?

Yes, there's an export meter contained within the SMETS2 smart meters, to measure PV (or other) exports to the grid.

roys

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »

Just out of interest, did they fit an isolator to these SMETS2 meters or did they end up saving a few pence by not, so encouraging the constant visit of seal fairies before work can be done on the consumer unit?
regen

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »

Quote from: regen on Today at 05:47:52 AM
I have no real objections apart from the fact that there was some confusion as to whether they worked if you have PV installed. Does the SMETS 2 overcome these problems?

Yes, there's an export meter contained within the SMETS2 smart meters, to measure PV (or other) exports to the grid.

Nice to know what is exported to the grid but I am only really interested in what is produced for my FIT payment and i understand that these meters,or at least the early ones,could interfere with this reading and i do not want protracted discussions with my FIT provider or electricity provider who would doubtless blame each other for a couple of years whilst withholding payment and/or charging me for the electricity I had produced as well.

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
nowty

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 12:12:00 PM »

Just out of interest, did they fit an isolator to these SMETS2 meters or did they end up saving a few pence by not, so encouraging the constant visit of seal fairies before work can be done on the consumer unit?

No, but I already had an isolator between the meter and my consumer units, so no need for seal fairies to visit at my house.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:08:08 PM by nowty » Logged

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »

Article in the BBC news business section re smart meters today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50232763

(Not sure where the star-trek bit comes in though)

N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
djs63

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »

Who, or what, are “seal fairies”?  We live near to the coast and we have lots of seals; we have a big garden but no fairies as far as I know!
Some abbreviations and jargon on here take some working out but this has me flummoxed.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
azps

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 10:46:45 AM »

Who, or what, are “seal fairies”?  We live near to the coast and we have lots of seals; we have a big garden but no fairies as far as I know!
Some abbreviations and jargon on here take some working out but this has me flummoxed.

If you want to work on your consumer unit, and just turning it off doesn't provide sufficient isolation, you need to isolate it somewhere upstream from the consumer unit. If you don't have such a switch there already, you need a visit from someone formally allowed to open the meter seals, isolate your supply, and then re-seal it after the work is done. These are rare and magical beings: us mere mortals are not allowed to do it, because of the risk of fraud. Hence "seal fairies". I think that was the joke, anyway.

djs63

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »

Thanks azps it makes sense

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
nowty

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 09:32:54 AM »

Just got confirmation I am starting with the Octopus Go tariff at midnight tonight. extrahappy

Just a shame I charged the car this morning. facepalm

So todays job is going to be changing all the timings of my usage to fit the 4 hour bonkers 5p window.

Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
dan_b

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »

Nice one. Although I don't have an EV to charge at night I now have my PowerVault charging up on the 5p period, and I'm ensuring the family sets the dishwasher and washing machine for 1am runs with an almost religious fervour.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
JohnS

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »

If you want to work on your consumer unit, and just turning it off doesn't provide sufficient isolation, you need to isolate it somewhere upstream from the consumer unit. If you don't have such a switch there already, you need a visit from someone formally allowed to open the meter seals, isolate your supply, and then re-seal it after the work is done. These are rare and magical beings: us mere mortals are not allowed to do it, because of the risk of fraud. Hence "seal fairies". I think that was the joke, anyway.

A small correction is necessary.

Meter seals should never be cut or tampered with except by the electricity supplier because of the fraud implications.
In the old days, the DNOs or their predecessors were relaxed about electricians removing the service fuse to isolate the system.  Now they are much stricter about it and require service fuses to be sealed in place and only be removed and resealed by their staff.  Hence isolator switches immediately downstream of the meter are becoming more common.

2.1kWp solar PV
nowty

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 12:10:21 PM »

The meter fitter even put an additional seal on my isolation switch where the meter tails entered into it. I thought that was a bit OTT as it was downstream of the meter so no fraud issues there. But then I guess that the meter tails are the leccy companies responsibility, he checked the tightness of the tails into the isolator and then sealed it.
Also made me laugh when he pulled the main fuse as he wore the thickest rubber gloves you had ever seen and wore a full face visor. If something shorts out at that point its serious sh*tfan

Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
TT

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »

Not 100% accurate, electrical contractors can apply to get seals and fit them so not just suppliers/dno

A small correction is necessary.

Meter seals should never be cut or tampered with except by the electricity supplier because of the fraud implications.
In the old days, the DNOs or their predecessors were relaxed about electricians removing the service fuse to isolate the system.  Now they are much stricter about it and require service fuses to be sealed in place and only be removed and resealed by their staff.  Hence isolator switches immediately downstream of the meter are becoming more common.
nowty

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2019, 12:32:37 PM »

I'm now sucking in plenty of 5p/kWh leccy from Octopus Go and avoiding import at the higher rate with use from my battery. fingers crossed!
EV charging, house battery charging, heatpump, dishwasher, etc.

Info from my SMA Sunny Portal

Comparison from my Octopus account showing data from my Smart meter

Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: