navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMETS2 Smart Meter Installed Today  (Read 7313 times)
Fintray

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »

That's definitely the way to go when the solar isn't performing, I'd be doing the same If my smart meter could get a communication connection!

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Fishman

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 04:13:11 PM »

I don't know if Agile or Go tariff is best. Also do not have a DNO yet, do I need it to start feeding power ?
 I now have my PV installation in and working, Octopus have me on the priority list for a Smart meter so I can start getting paid for any excess (not much this time of year)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:23:29 PM by Fishman » Logged

Solax Hybrid X1 5.4 Kwh installation
JAsolar 18 X 300 Watt  panels, String of 10 SW facing and 8 South Facing
Solax Triple 4.5Kwh Battery
nowty

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »

I don't know if Agile or Go tariff is best. Also do not have a DNO yet, do I need it to start feeding power ?
 I now have my PV installation in and working, Octopus have me on the priority list for a Smart meter so I can start getting paid for any excess (not much this time of year)

If you want to get paid for the excess, I presume you mean through Octopus "Outgoing", then you cannot be on Octopus "Go", but you can be on the "Agile" tariff.

You also need an MCS certificate and DNO notification/response.

See   -   https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing-update/

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
280,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Fishman

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 05:40:28 PM »

Yes that is exactly what I mean, sorry for the mistake, so its either Agile or Fixed

Solax Hybrid X1 5.4 Kwh installation
JAsolar 18 X 300 Watt  panels, String of 10 SW facing and 8 South Facing
Solax Triple 4.5Kwh Battery
nowty

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »

In order to utilise the Octopus Go tariff in conjunction with the Smart meter as much as possible I have been increasing my import whilst monitoring the temp of the cables to find the limit of what I can import during those cheap 4 hours.

I have a 100A main fuse on my single phase domestic supply, main isolator and CU are 100A rated, meter tails are 16mm2.

I hit a continuous import of over 19kW which was a little over 80A last night. This is the highest I have imported and think I have reached the limit. The incoming supply cable was very warm, main fuse and meter tails felt hot, I measured about 60 degrees with an IR thermometer. So internally they may have reached the max cabling operating temp of 70 degrees.

Main imports
Home battery charger - 7kW
Electric vehicle charger - 7kW
Storage heater - 2.5kW
Heatpump - 2kW

So far, with the help of my home battery I have kept my daytime import to less than 1% of the cheap period and I am seriously making a dent into my gas import by running the heatpump as much as I can.

Iain

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »

Hi

meter tails are 16mm2.

Should be 25mm now(on new installs), 20 minute job to change if you competent, have a clear conscience and some side cutters!!

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
RIT

South West London

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »

Hi

meter tails are 16mm2.

Should be 25mm now(on new installs), 20 minute job to change if you competent, have a clear conscience and some side cutters!!

Iain

And a valid Part P certificate in your name.

As for 16mm2 being feed from a 100A capable supply when I looked into it for my own upgrade work I came across a statement that 16mm2 was 'OK' if the sustained load can't exceed 87A, but there were also caveats about there needed to be very low impedance at the terminals.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 07:45:16 PM »

Unfortunately I got this from Octopus last week which os a bit of a dissapointment.

You will need to be on the Octopus Go tariff to make use of this. Unfortunately, this requires connection to a smart meter and working half-hourly reads that your meter is not currently sending to us due to wider issues with the smart meter portal.
Once the meter is properly connected we will be able to put you onto this tariff

Suppose will just have wait !

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
Fintray

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 08:01:42 PM »

Unfortunately I got this from Octopus last week which os a bit of a dissapointment.

You will need to be on the Octopus Go tariff to make use of this. Unfortunately, this requires connection to a smart meter and working half-hourly reads that your meter is not currently sending to us due to wider issues with the smart meter portal.
Once the meter is properly connected we will be able to put you onto this tariff

That's a bit disappointing as I thought the SMETS2 used a radio network signal (Arquiva) rather than mobile phone network, which gives it a better coverage (or so they say!)

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
azps

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »

That's a bit disappointing as I thought the SMETS2 used a radio network signal (Arquiva) rather than mobile phone network, which gives it a better coverage (or so they say!)

Wales, and Southern & Central England have O2/Telefonica doing the comms, and it has largely been successful, with a few odd exceptions. North England and Scotland have Arqiva, and have had huge problems.

nowty

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »

My installer mentioned mine would be O2, I am on the South coast. He also mentioned something called MESH, he said that if you could not get a connection but someone else nearby (don't know how near though) with a SMETS2 could, then it could be set up to communicate with another nearby SMETS2 meter, and then piggy back onto it. Of course this is only going to work, once there are other SMETS2 meters actually installed nearby.

RIT

South West London

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »

My installer mentioned mine would be O2, I am on the South coast. He also mentioned something called MESH, he said that if you could not get a connection but someone else nearby (don't know how near though) with a SMETS2 could, then it could be set up to communicate with another nearby SMETS2 meter, and then piggy back onto it. Of course this is only going to work, once there are other SMETS2 meters actually installed nearby.

It gets even more complicated as a number of different network standards are on the list which back in 2013 included - 2G/3G cellular, wifi, power line IP, and Bluetooth. So nearby connected meters may or may not be able to form a meshed connection based on what standards the meters support. This may get even more complicated as newer meters start to support newer standards such as SIGFOX (a Low-power Wide-area network LPWAN provider) rather than the older options.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
myozone

Lizard peninsula - Cornwall

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »

I tried get a smart meter installed at my late fathers (the E7 timer was bust) the EDF guy said he could do it, but on the day they had problems with them being 'commissioned' onto the network. If it didn't commision they would have to take it out again Huh. The whole procedure could take 3+ hours facepalm

In the end he just changed the timer. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:01:07 PM by myozone » Logged

'Don't live life by the perforations' !
nowty

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 10:50:04 AM »

During this winter period I am finding that a little more battery charging capacity would be handy in order to put more energy into my batteries during the bonkers Octopus Go 4 hour cheap period. I have been using my heatpump more and its significantly decreasing the amount of gas I am consuming and therefore reducing my Co2 emissions even further. But using the 6kW charger in my Sunny Island is not quite enough in the short 4 hour cheap window and this is limiting my heatpump usage.

I started to think that I could have used my Sofar Solar MS3000SP which I sold because it became surplus when I installed my Sunny Island. facepalm

So I have now bought another one and this time I have not fitted the CT clamps and I am just using it as a timed battery charger which gives me another 3kW of charging capacity so I now have 9kW of charging power for my home battery. Been running it for a couple of days now and I now get a total battery charge current of 166 Amps, up from 107 Amps, so it works. extrahappy

scobo

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 06:20:04 PM »

We had a SMETS2 fitted last week and we got the confirmation email yesterday that we're now on Go. I charged our EV and home batteries last night during the 4 hour 5p period but the wireless display is showing our useage at the full peak rate price.
Are these displays not capable of calculating the 5p rate or do we have a problem with ours ?
Also, our gas meter doesn't appear to be talking with Octopus yet as there's no consumption figures showing on our account online, just the leccy.
Do the gas meters take longer to 'sync' with Octopus or should it now be working like the leccy meter.

System size : 2.88kw
Panels : 12xREC 240W
Inverter : Fronius IG30
7.2kwh Pylontech batteries & Lux ac controller
Renault Zoe 40kwh R110
Zappi 2 EV charger
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: