navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New BEV owner  (Read 5559 times)
dan_b

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 09:36:36 AM »

With the new Zoe, you can lease the batteries, but you can also buy the car and batteries out right. Both options are available.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Mike McMillan

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 07:00:42 PM »

We have had our Zoe for over 2 years. Absolutely love it. The car with extra's was £13,000, battery lease, Go buy the battery outfight back then was around £5,000 (wish I could buy a state of the art off grid 40 kwh battery for that!). The advantage of the lease (apart from not having to find the £5,00 up front) is the life long guarantee and free breakdown service. You cannot buy off the lease in the UK, although there has been plenty of chat about it. We average around 4.7 in summer, 4.3 in winter, on the Island. I did a run to gatwick a couple of weeks ago to pick up the grand children. Topped up at the holiday inn charger while I waited for the plane, and then belted back at 80 to catch the ferry. Only 3.5 mpk on the way back!!

Mike

garden Isle

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
dan_b

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »

So I've racked up 500 miles in the Model 3 already.
Observations...

1. I absolutely bloody love it. It's amazing. It's a spaceship compared to my what was actually a rather nice for a diesel Volvo. The quietness and smoothness is unreal.
2. However, already I wish I had a charge point either at home or at work!
3. I've so far had absolutely zero issues with finding public charging points, and my first attempt at a rapid charger which is just over a mile away from home (a 50kW Polar unit installed by TfL) was simple and easy - just used my contactless bank card to start, and then stop, the charge.
4.Having said that, I had a pang of "range anxiety" today when it went below 60 miles, 10 miles from home and the battery bar went yellow. But there was no need to feel that way as I knew I could charge up when I got back, which is what I'm doing now. I need to get used to this.
5. I worry about what the colder temperatures will do to the battery range and my current situation?
6. EV drivers are a friendly bunch - each time I've plugged in or gone to disconnect I've had other EV drivers come up and have a chat.
7. And Tesla drivers wave at each other.  As a Londoner, this friendliness feels odd!

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 08:03:37 PM »

As I say to the wife most days when simply walking to the front of the car & plugging in (all of 3 seconds)

"charging is SUCH a pain"  hysteria

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
dan_b

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »

Love it!
Getting a charge point at work will make all the difference for me I'm sure.

As I say to the wife most days when simply walking to the front of the car & plugging in (all of 3 seconds)

"charging is SUCH a pain"  hysteria

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
phoooby

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 12:31:26 AM »

With the weather getting colder, make sure you plug in whenever you can, even on the granny charging lead. Range drops while the car is standing doing nothing in cold weather. You could leave it with some range left and have a dead car in the morning. 60 mile for range anxiety if a pretty low tolerance but it all depends if you know where you are going to charge. If driving back home you can time it to the mile and plug in immediately but on the road when you cant find the public charger your looking for and dont even know if it will be in use, it sets in a bit earlier! Glad you are enjoying the car. My sister got an M3 about a week ago but I have not been out in it yet, just helped her set it up a bit at the handover and drove to the supercharger close by to show her what that was all about.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
sbchapman

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 02:44:59 PM »

"My sister got an M3 about a week ago but I have not been out in it yet, just helped her set it up a bit at the handover and drove to the supercharger close by to show her what that was all about"

M3 or i3 - quite a difference?!

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
smegal

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »

"My sister got an M3 about a week ago but I have not been out in it yet, just helped her set it up a bit at the handover and drove to the supercharger close by to show her what that was all about"

I guess Tesla Model 3

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
dan_b

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 03:07:07 PM »

With the weather getting colder, make sure you plug in whenever you can, even on the granny charging lead. Range drops while the car is standing doing nothing in cold weather. You could leave it with some range left and have a dead car in the morning.

I was going to ask about this - my car "lost" 10 miles of charge overnight - is this just normal and usual because of the colder weather?   I've got "Sentry Mode" active on the M3 over night to monitor for any nefarious acts of vandalism, but surely that wouldn't drain 2.5kWh by itself?

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Greenbeast

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »

With the weather getting colder, make sure you plug in whenever you can, even on the granny charging lead. Range drops while the car is standing doing nothing in cold weather. You could leave it with some range left and have a dead car in the morning.

I was going to ask about this - my car "lost" 10 miles of charge overnight - is this just normal and usual because of the colder weather?   I've got "Sentry Mode" active on the M3 over night to monitor for any nefarious acts of vandalism, but surely that wouldn't drain 2.5kWh by itself?

Do you use Reddit?
There's quite a good Teslamotors subreddit, thousands of owners worldwide on there
dan_b

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2019, 09:40:38 AM »

Hi there - no I don't - I try and limit my social media/ online forums to as few as possible, but I'll certainly do some googling.

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
sbchapman

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2019, 07:26:03 PM »

"I guess Tesla Model 3"

Ahhhh, thanks - I was thinking the BMW variety, not the Tesla

Thermal: 4x Schott ETC16
PV: 3.9 kWp (20xSchott Mono Perform 195Wp)
Boilermate Thermal Store
SMA SB400TL-20
Clearview Pioneer 5kW
Woodwarm 9kW
Windsmithy Arthur 6kW
1 anemometer (sadly no turbine)
phoooby

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2019, 01:27:46 AM »

Yes Tesla Model 3.

You get what is known as 'vampire drain' which is a few miles per day but it is worse during cold weather. I dont know the technicalities of what is running to use power but it used to be worse in the early days and has improved with the various updates.

I have read that sentry mode uses about 1 mile per hour or range up so not one to leave on when you go on holiday for a few weeks.

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
dan_b

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »

I'm getting so many sentry mode flags - sometimes 30 or 40 a night. Think I might just turn it off. If that saves a few miles of phantom drain that woudl be good too!

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
marshman

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2019, 09:30:59 AM »

Is it anything to do with the battery heater - not the one that heats the car but the battery coolant/heating system that looks after battery temperatures?  That could certainly uses a decent amount of power.

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: