navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICE drivers can be such "idiots" ..problem that might be attributed to Ebikes..  (Read 1500 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »

I gave up on cycling a couple of years ago,
      It was just too dodgy. Van's and cars were buzzing too close to me and it seemed to me, that the more room that I gave them, the closer they came and at times touching me with very destabling results. Looking at number plates while fighting for control is stupid.
  I t must be that the tourists from England,  France, Germany, Spain and all over have special guardian Angel's as the wobble all over the road in their multi coloured rain slicks and riding gear. Maybe I should have dressed like them and in truth, I know of not one single incident to date where these loonies have come cropped.
But no, after adding up a couple of too close encounters  and the fact that my balance is not what it used to be, I sold my Ebike. I was sad to see it go. It was the real deal and charged directly from our RE.
My 4 wheels now are on an ancient Suzuli Ignis. There is a roof on it for keeping out the rain and sleet. A  good strong towbar  with the lecky plug and it walks away with a ton + without any revving   huffing and puffing. Its tearfully slow and when I push for 60mph it complains. BUT begum it's  reliable and trouble free  If we are in a hurry, We take Mrs Biff,s little Sirion which is a fantastic little thing.
  I enjoyed my Ebike and  hope it's new owner does well  with it.
   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »

Marcus,
Due to my car being written off by a young 'recent test-passer' driving a van, for the last 4 years my bicycle has been my only transport, (rather than just leisure), taking me everywhere, train for greater than 20 miles.
 I don't live in a big city, but semi-suburban sprawl 30 miles south-west of Lahndun. The 'narrow lanes' I was referring to are lanes that run between fields in the 'country-ish' bit of my town, and the residential roads with purpose-built away-from-the-traffic cycle-paths. If you have a racing bike, it is a bit of a fag having to go on the cycle-paths without tearing along like a nutcase; in my younger days I was such a person, but there was an eighth of the traffic and no cycle-paths.
Due to ongoing body-failure I have had to get another car, (13yr old micra), that I use for local shopping and the occasional foray into the wider world.
Like an alky that has given up the juice is still an alky, I am still a cyclist, I just haven't ridden for a few months! Grin
As a cyclist I still give bikes the room and tolerance that all road-users deserve according to their mode of transport.
In town, some of the cycle-paths do stop and dump you in traffic. Regular cyclists know these points and take the appropriate course. (except the pubescent youths that have no concept of danger until it hits them; I know, I was once one of them)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »

Yup "sweeping to the side of the road" is a perma-hazard for us, ..& wildlife, it needs a chargeback to the insurance companies to have the council collect bumpers, plastics, & glass removal. I

Access to cyclists can be hit & miss it you don't know where it is when pounding pedals, you often miss the dropped kerb (if it actually exists) & the conditions are an afterthought compared to road surfaces, ..they are not fun & a bolt on liability with hazards in the way & signage to duck! (For instance).
 Typically a footpath with "cycle lane" painted on it is one to be avoided by staying in the better quality road.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: