navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I go electric?  (Read 5860 times)
Bodidly

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »

I just came across something that might work for some of my criteria.

Apparently my Honda engine can run off LPG. Anyone had any experience of converting an engine and what problems there are with longterm running on LPG?
oliver90owner

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 07:05:07 PM »

It is only lighter alkanes.  Propane in your case.

Cleaner burning than longer chain fuel.

Lots of conversions and suppliers available on the net. Small engines, cars, generators, tractors and lots of other applications.

The only criteria from your list is likely the less CO2 emitted - but only marginal if you consider the gas as by-product of oil refining.

Add in carting around extra heavy fuel tanks - extra fuel to do that - if you use your machine as a mobile item.  Might be better using a compression ignition engine, with LPG, for better thermodynamic efficiency?
Bodidly

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 08:02:14 PM »

It is only lighter alkanes.  Propane in your case.

Cleaner burning than longer chain fuel.

Lots of conversions and suppliers available on the net. Small engines, cars, generators, tractors and lots of other applications.

The only criteria from your list is likely the less CO2 emitted - but only marginal if you consider the gas as by-product of oil refining.

Add in carting around extra heavy fuel tanks - extra fuel to do that - if you use your machine as a mobile item.  Might be better using a compression ignition engine, with LPG, for better thermodynamic efficiency?

I thought it would give less air pollution? The fumes from mine on still days do literally leave a bad taste in the mouth. Found the kit to do it for 150.

From what they told me I can switch back to petrol pretty much instantly so I would use petrol when out and about and plug into the gas when working at home
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:10:29 PM by Bodidly » Logged
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 01:40:39 AM »

Running ICE on propane can generate quite a few aldehydes in the exhaust. These are not good and probably a whole lot worse than what you can get from a petrol engine.
Be aware, with petrol or propane,without a catalyst, the CO levels are very high. and build up very quickly in enclosed spaces.
With diesel, it stinks, but the CO levels a far lower.

Philip R
Bodidly

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 08:17:34 AM »

I am a bit bothered that no one thinks the air pollution will be better.

The only info I can find is for cars running on LPG like this from the Guardian

"Besides the financial benefits, there is a strong case for moving over to gas on environmental grounds a big motivation for us. "Well to wheel" analysis suggests LPG-fuelled vehicles generate 14% fewer CO2 emissions than petrol cars and 10% fewer than diesel vehicles. LPG is particularly clean-burning and produces fewer particulates no big clouds of black smoke are emitted from our exhaust, as so often happens to older diesel cars.

LPG cars produce 50% fewer nitrogen oxides than petrol, and 20 times fewer than diesel.

Crucially, the UK has plenty of LPG, to the extent we export the excess, making it a more sustainable choice."

Off to look up what aldehydes are and its always used in well ventilated spaces
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »

Googgle:  "15 hp engine dual fuel conversion", select 'images', lots of pics to look at!

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Bodidly

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »

This was the conversion I was looking at http://www.geargb.co.uk/product/3010-GX390-19139/Honda_GX390_Bottle_Mount_LPG_Dual_Fuel_Conversion_Kit_(high_mount_air_filter)
marcus

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 01:57:47 PM »

Well i'm fairly sure air pollution will be reduced - after all that's why ICE forklifts are run on gas in wharehouses isn't it? So long as it's set up right so the fuel doesn't go through unburnt the exhaust should be much cleaner than petrol.

Many years ago i had a series landrover with a 3.5l V8 that i converted to LPG; when it was running the exhaust smelled like a camping stove, and at every oil change the oil came out looking like new. The inside of the engine was completely clean.
Justme

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 03:37:21 PM »

The fumes from mine on still days do literally leave a bad taste in the mouth.

What processor is it?

I use mine all day on petrol & dont get any problems.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print