navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot water circulation  (Read 6990 times)
Greenbeast

« on: November 12, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »

We're putting together a new meat cutting room, the hand washing sink is about 6-8m of pipework away from the cylinder.
I've been wondering about doing the unthinkable and fitting a circuit to circulate the hot water so it's immediately available.

Pipework will obviously be well insulated, do we need any specific type pf pump?

Unfortunately, unlike previous uses of this method for bathrooms or kitchens in a house i can't do anything as clever as use a PIR to run the pump only when someone enters the room as the butcher will working there all day, any other suggestions or thoughts?
brackwell

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:00 AM »

I expect a heater under the sink, perhaps on a timer would be way more efficient particularly for hand washing which is very wastful
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »

In a previous life and a sprawling bungalow, we had a dhw ‘circuit’ installed so any tap got how water within seconds rather than draw it from the (non-central) cylinder. I seem to recall the plumber mentioning a ‘bronze pump’ which I guess was non-corrosive...

Cheers,

Chas
JOE1871

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »

This would be my recommendation basic bronze pump low wattage and use simple plug in  digital timer for pump time on  off periods!!

https://www.anchorpumps.com/lowara-ecocirc-pro-15-1-65-1-2-bronze-circulator-240v?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2qbwtaHk5QIVTMDeCh24mQjwEAQYFCABEgIlP_D_BwE
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »

As Chas and Joe have alluded to.
These types of pumps are regurlarly used in modern hotels, and the hot water appears at the tap straight away.
Insulate using at least 13mm thick foam insulation or theheat lossess will be noticed.
Go for a little pump like the grundfos UP 15-14 B PM connected as per the instructions.

Philip R
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:02:09 AM »

How about a pump as you suggest for circulating the DHW, but adding an industrial footswitch at the sink to operate the pump?

North Hampshire
Moxi

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »

Got to agree with Brackwell I would fit an under sink inline heater otherwise if you circulate water constantly the supply and return pipes will only serve to heat your cold room (minimal with insulation but still a source of heat) which would appear unwelcome.

Moxi
TT

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 05:55:02 PM »

You need a bronze pump
Fit it on a timer, which is a pain, or your PIR suggestion which is good, as it saves altering time clocks.
My commercial kitchens are all hands free taps/ whatever correct terminology is- , the EHO like these as there is less risk of contamination.

eabadger

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »

we have bronze pump for distant circuit.
it only activates when light on in that room.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Greenbeast

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »

You need a bronze pump
Fit it on a timer, which is a pain, or your PIR suggestion which is good, as it saves altering time clocks.
My commercial kitchens are all hands free taps/ whatever correct terminology is- , the EHO like these as there is less risk of contamination.

Yes we have a hands free hand washing sink which was the target of this 'solution'

Can't use PIRs as there will be someone working close all day. Could set it to periodically activate on a timer.
Foot switch a possibility, but was looking for rapidity of use not just saving water
knighty

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »

ohhhh, I don't get online much anymore but I chose just the right time to pop in.... I want to add a pump to my DHW at work too... I know what kind of pump I need, but what I really need (and what greenbeast might need too?) is some insulation that's waterproof and/or can be cleaned?

for me, it'll be steam cleaned (not too close) so I need something that won't disintegrate, and that won;t get wet/soggy/dirty

any ideas anyone?

I thought about running the pipe+insulation inside some larger plastic pipe (like sink waste pipe)... but it's a bit of a faff fitting it all, making it look tidy (over all the joins/connections/Tees) and it would be murder to make any changes or fix a leak later on
TT

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »

Armaflex insulation?
TT

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 10:18:11 PM »

You want the pump to run all the time, So a pir will work, just means when they leave at night it stops
JohnS

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 11:21:07 PM »

Presumably if it is very well insulated, there will be an acceptable length of time while the tap can be off and the water will be hot enough next time the tap is run. The longer the better.

2.1kWp solar PV  PHEV West London
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 09:24:08 AM »

You need a bronze pump

Yes we have a hands free hand washing sink which was the target of this 'solution'

Can't use PIRs as there will be someone working close all day. Could set it to periodically activate on a timer.
Foot switch a possibility, but was looking for rapidity of use not just saving water

If I could stand the running cost in a domestic situation of a constant pumping v the outstanding convenience, I should think in a commercial one robust simplicity coupled with the tax deductability is all the reassurance you need. With respect to you and other more sophisticated suggestions, there’s a risk of over thinking. As you say, a cheap plug-in timeswitch would stop it when its not wanted...

Chas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: