navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sump pump float switch  (Read 6406 times)
Greenbeast

« on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:52 AM »

I have a need to fit a sump and pump, i'm expecting space inside to be too limited for one of the standard float switches to work.
What i feel like i need is a fixed float sensor/switch mounted to the lid or wall of the sump so that it just runs vertically. Or something like a cistern ball float valve with integrated switch.

Anything like this on the market?
Iain

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:42:49 AM »

Hi
Loads in the marine industry.
 Worth a look at bilge pump float switches. Most are classed as DC. Check the specs and if not sure just add a relay.
They do small float switches and if there is room for a pump there will normally be room for a float switch.

https://images.app.goo.gl/aB7U972ygAS4eRt28

This type but many others.

Iain
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:44:25 AM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Greenbeast

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »

Thanks, i found something on RS that i'm now looking at
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:17:26 AM »

Maybe a complete wastewater pump station ,  is doing  the sump and pump in one go ??  Fair priced as well

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
TT

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 05:27:11 PM »

Try ABS pumps, the link I provided last week to another thread is similar to mine, the float switch is integral to the pump body, not a separate unit. It has a selector switch for manual or auto.

Greenbeast

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »

Maybe a complete wastewater pump station ,  is doing  the sump and pump in one go ??  Fair priced as well

Is this the sort of thing you mean?
These prices do not see that fair compared to the component parts?

https://www.sumpsandpumpsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Sewage-Pumping-Stations.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAzanuBRAZEiwA5yf4uhA8e3DnUBX5pj83Vzs0sMIgMuVmU79UeSBqAi7O9kSEIRsx1BWIEhoCNL0QAvD_BwE
smegal

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »

It's not a cheap way of doing it, but conductivity switches are pretty compact.

For example:

https://www.omega.co.uk/pptst/LVCN_LVCF_LVCR_LVCP.html

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 07:02:47 PM »

Get a scrap washing machine/ dishwasher -most modern ones have a polystyrene float switch on the btm to cut water if  machine floods.
George
TT

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »

Keep it simple. Use a pump with a built in float. Less to go wrong
knighty

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »

where is it for?

my parents cellar had a sump in it, old house so it was just a hole in the concrete down to the mud underneath

small pumps work way way better than big ones... they're quieter and less hassle... big pumps empty the pit in seconds... but are noisier and tend to dance about a bit starting/stopping

Greenbeast

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »

where is it for?

my parents cellar had a sump in it, old house so it was just a hole in the concrete down to the mud underneath

small pumps work way way better than big ones... they're quieter and less hassle... big pumps empty the pit in seconds... but are noisier and tend to dance about a bit starting/stopping

meat cutting room Smiley
TT

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:07 PM »

What's the slurry like after wash down?
How far does it have to be pumped?
Greenbeast

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 07:24:19 AM »

From experience in the small cutting room we have on farm currently, not a lot of liquid daily.

Not far at all, just needs to be lifted high enough to discharge into a waste pipe run on the outside wall
TT

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 08:04:35 AM »

https://www.prestigepumps.co.uk/abs-robusta-200ts-110-1-50-c-w-10m-of-cable/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneiq7by95QIVzLHtCh3X3gVgEAQYAiABEgIcM_D_BwE

I've used this style of pump for 10 years no issues.
Currently on sale from this supplier.

They do 230 and 110 volts, I have the 110 version.

It has a auto manual selector on the top, with auto pumping down to approx 3mm of the bottom of the pump.

It has a threaded pipe outlet, that means you can use different diameter flexible waste pipe.
Nice and quiet
No connection to company
I try to minimise grief in my life by picking products, appliances that last as I used to work away from home and wanted the wife and kids not to have hassle/ Indidnt want hassle while I was away!

Good luck
Greenbeast

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »

I have two of that type but find the float valve on those needs a fair bit of room to work. Hence I was looking for something that worked vertically.
I think I'm sorted
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: