navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: advice / recommendations for UFH system  (Read 1524 times)
marcus

« on: February 16, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »

Hello all,

I'm about to 'do my floor' in my new-build house: i.e. put down membrane, 6" insulation, (2nd membrane), and screed; and thought it would be sensible to put UFH pipes in whilst I'm there. total area is about 105m2.

my superficial research so far is that the manifold needs to be sort of central rather than in the corner utility as I'd originally though, and the individual circuits should be similar lengths, but other than I'm not sure what I need the think about.

I notice there are kits advertised: are these good / to be avoided? any recommendations?

rooms are kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom, hall/porch and utility. Oh and I haven't decided yet exactly how the house is to be heated, though I want a large TS to make use of surplus hydro/PV, and I do have a lot of wood - mostly ash (dieback), beech  & gorse.

Thx
marcus
Countrypaul

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:57:18 PM »

On our UFH the pipe lengths are not all about equal, but they are all less than 100m. Some rooms only have a single circuit in, one has 3 (35m2 lounge) and one has 4 (kitchen/diner 50m2), each circuit is connected to a different outlet on the manifold. We have a 12 port manifold (125m2 ground floor) and a 8 way wiring centre than can control UFH and a radiator circuit. A single thermostat linked to the wiring centre can control upto 4 activators on the manifold, so we have 6 thermostats at present (onevery small circuit has been left to come on whenever any thermostat calls for heat). The manifold is fairly central to the house in out utility room.

I had the screeding company install the UFH which only took them about 1/2 day at 150mm centres (plus they put down the membranes and insulation) as the screeding was more comple than usual (could not get a large wagon with the screed near by, so had to relay it in 2 tonne batches which mean the screeding took two and a half days. The company also produced a design for the UFH piping for me to check beforehand giving expected pipe lengths (per circuit) and heat outputs (at a fixed temperature).

The manifold did have a pump and thermostatic mixer valve on it, but we removed these in favour of having the pump and mixer close to the TS.

As to makes, I can only tell you the wiring centre is by Heatmiser, I can probably find out the manifold make if you are really interested.

For upstairs I used fitted from below kit that I bought only with 150mm spreader panels. This system is merely used for the bathrooms for a total of about 15 m2. in this case the manifold is a 3 port one but we have no wiring centre or thermostat - the pump is simply on a timer.
marcus

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:23:09 PM »

thanks for that - I guess I should be thinking <100m pipe lengths rather than equal then it I design it myself. The screed chap didn't offer to get involved i my case.

I was asking for makes in the context of avoiding any make if folks had had a bad experience, or, as they seem to do different pipe sizes, going with one that's more 'standard' - if any of them are.

I think some of the online suppliers I've seen may do system design but work keeps getting in the way and I've not asked yet.

Mine's downstairs only so that's simpler at least
Countrypaul

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:33:36 PM »

The UFH pipe I have is described as 16x2 both for downstairs and upstairs, different pipe and different suppliers. 16x2 is 16mm diameter and 2mm wall thickness which is pretty much standard, you can easily get other sizes and some sites allow you to choose from a whole range, getting a kit can work out cheaper than buying the different parts from different suppliers, even if you just use the kit as the basis and add extra components. As usual it also makes it difficult if it comes from a single supplier for them to claim its a problem with the other parts.

In our case on the ground floor the pipes are nearly all in spirals with the hottest supply on the outside, the coolest return inside that, reducing in size to the centre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: