navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this sub-forum dead ?  (Read 9426 times)
whyamisocold

« on: November 12, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »

Hi
I'm thinking about installing a micro-hydro system and a friend suggested looking inhere.  But I see that the last post was three years ago.

Hence my question.

TIA
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:50:27 PM »

Hi Why
        We are looking into it. The head moderator had been informed. It would help us s lot, if you yourself gave us an idea as to  "how Micro" you intend your system to be. We have at least 4 members with working hydro  electricity
 generating installs.
     So if you give us an idea, I am sure they will be glad to respond.
          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
mike-b-

merseyside

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »

Hi
I'm thinking about installing a micro-hydro system and a friend suggested looking inhere.  But I see that the last post was three years ago.

Hence my question.

TIA
I will be hopefully in the future exploiting a water course. So i would be interested if you post up your progress/ideas. I think more people have access to the sun! maybe thats the reason for lack of posts. mike

10x230 yingli +aurora2000 ,woodburner, 5x250 hyundia +sunnyboy 1200,  i waste nothing everything is useful i just havent found a use for it yet! Rainwater harvesting ibc system. 270w offgrid in hol home
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:20 PM »

It maybe that people have posted in the wrong locations too, I'm sure I've read a couple of really good threads on here about domestic scale hydro in the past.  You've come to the right place...

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 07:08:53 PM »

Just because the posts are old doesn't make them irrelevant .
Ask away - you'll soon drag some bodgineers out of the wood work .
George
offthegridandy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:47:54 PM »

I think the posts are old as well as some of the members but they are all at home toasting their feet in front of the electric fire.  Jump in and tell us your tale please.

Here's a link to a couple  of Camilltechs success's.

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17366.0.html

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17235.30.html

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
whyamisocold

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 10:06:12 PM »

Thanks all for the feedback.

I'm very much at the early stages TBH and need to determine the two key parameters first - flow and head - to see if the cost-benefit-analysis makes sense. I'd love to have the time to JFDI as the design and technical challenges float my boat but there are so many other demands on my time renovating this house.

Edit: just noticed that all the dates for the posts have hopped onto a time machine and caught up 3-4 years !

Edit 2:  One wacky idea I've been thinking about is a waterwheel at the top of the stream and a turbine much lower down.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:11:12 PM by whyamisocold » Logged
renewablejohn

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »

Thanks all for the feedback.

I'm very much at the early stages TBH and need to determine the two key parameters first - flow and head - to see if the cost-benefit-analysis makes sense. I'd love to have the time to JFDI as the design and technical challenges float my boat but there are so many other demands on my time renovating this house.

Edit: just noticed that all the dates for the posts have hopped onto a time machine and caught up 3-4 years !

Edit 2:  One wacky idea I've been thinking about is a waterwheel at the top of the stream and a turbine much lower down.

I presume your in the UK if so your biggest problem will be the Environment Agency. Even if your figures stack up for head, flow and power output if the EA then decides your only allowed 10% of that flow and you have to install fish ladders etc then viability goes out the window.  The alternative is stealth which is probably why this area of the forum seems quiet. Its not a case of not knowing what or how to do it. More we have already done it but dont want to advertise the fact to the annoying clip board warriors who are quite prepared to let the countryside flood due to there mismanagement.
whyamisocold

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »

You're bang on the money there.  I had a quick look at the Pre-Planning EA document and my eyes glazed over TBH.  If I go down this route I can see me getting a professional to do it for me.  One thing is no fish ladders needed as no fish. The stream ends up as a waterfall into the river.  Fish would need to have jet-packs to get up it !  But...planning also need to get involved...just my luck to have a load of 'Ken's' that need protecting.  I could go stealth and as matter of principle would do if it were not for two things.  One, a public footpath goes through our land (more's the pity) close to the water course.  Second that we will have to sell sometime or other in the future and any solicitor worth his salt would be asking questions about EA approval etc.  Of course, one could simply disconnect it all but that would be a pity.  

As you say, EA get anally retentive over trivial stuff and screw up the big stuff.

Moving on to practical things...I thought I'd have a go at measuring the head yesterday using the 'Accurate (ahem) Altimeter' app on my smartphone.  Leaving aside the fact that you can be stationary, hit the refresh and get a radically different reading for the height thus rendering it useless.  Sad   Other approaches are to use more manual methods but....I need to do lot of vegetation clearance first ...

That rhododendron bush is way, way down there in that gorge...camera doesn't really show the depth.

Flow...not got there yet.  This is the normal flow...looks respectable enough ?

EDIT: Trying to insert a link to a Youtube video I took of the flow but failing ?

regen

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 05:53:05 PM »

What is normal flow? On our stream it can vary between 0.5lps (after 6 weeks dry weather) and 200lps after 70plus mm of rain in previous 24 hours. If you have a stream with a non variable 5lps and a 30 to 50 m head then you have got the job cracked!

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
whyamisocold

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 06:21:10 PM »

I have yet to measure it.  Like you, it varies but not by much.  It rarely dries out but can be a raging torrent.  I have a couple of youtube videos but don't seem to be able to link to them here.  Be interesting to hear your comments based on your own stream.

OK...have attached a .doc with the Youtube URLs.  First is today.   Pretty much normal flow.  The other happens 3-4 times a year  ...depends on rainfall.  And we are wet being just on the border of the Northumbria National Park.

* stream flow.doc (19 KB - downloaded 32 times.)
bxman

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 08:27:39 PM »

https[remove]://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8sjCiUjBPE

https{remove}://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScn8f0gzM8

Welcome to the forum

looks as though you could be really toasty with that flow  and you should be able to paste those links straight in

As far as I know some people will be able to see the links and other will not .
I am not sure if anyone knows why
 I have posted them but can not see them myself

It worked once I put in the brackets  real mystery to me !!!!

It is something I hope someone will sort out .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:29:58 PM by bxman » Logged
regen

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »

If you monitor it on a daily basis for a year then I think that you will be surprised/shocked at the variation and how quickly it can change so that unless you can use a turbine which can cope with variable flow then operating it can be really challenging with out setting it up for less than the av rage flow and or turning it off in periods of drought.

Permissions through the legal route are difficult to say the least-been there,got the scars and teeshirt then gave up!

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »

No potential there ........ best sign the land over to me.............    hysteria hysteria

seriously -respect........

Calculate please the total length of available stream.
Total fall - difference in height from top to btm in metres.
min flow in lps -max flow , normal flow
and report back ......
George
whyamisocold

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 09:43:33 PM »

No potential there ........ best sign the land over to me.............    hysteria hysteria

seriously -respect........

Calculate please the total length of available stream.
Total fall - difference in height from top to btm in metres.
min flow in lps -max flow , normal flow
and report back ......
George

I can understand the need for everything else but "the length of the stream " ?  Curious.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: