navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermalmix insulating paint additive  (Read 3048 times)
pantsmachine

« on: November 19, 2019, 05:58:23 PM »

Hi all,

We have a decent size extension (7 mtr x 5mtr proj) South facing. Its been up for around 11 years. Vaulted ceiling and well insulated for the most part. The weakness in the insulation is around the finishing of the steel support beams which carry the roof.The beams had wood nailgunned onto them to allow the fitting of the windows, the insualtion added pre plasterboard was not much at all to keep the beam profile small (25mm celotex on one side out of 3 it think). The temperature variance in comparison between the celotex filled adjacent walls and the plasterboard covered steel beams both vertical and horizontal has always irked.

Messing around last week I came across a much mailgned product, 'Thermal mix insulating paint additive'. Visions of snake oil sellers and spaghetti Western music played in my head. Plenty people out there say its good. Plenty people slag it off but seemed to be based on the 'if it was that good it would be everywhere' rationale . Before ripping off the plasterboard and fitting aerogel on the beams I thought 'why not'? Its only 15 or so....

Straight off, it works and works well. It has been -7 at my location rising to +1 at best for the last week or so. There are a total of 7 vertical beams varying in size from 100 mm to 150 mm breadth and varying in length from 2.2 to 3 mtrs. Horizontals of the same breadths run for around 20 mtrs including a couple of diagonals. That's a lot of unfolded cold sqr mtrs when totaled. As the temperatures vary so much inside and out i tried to get a handle on progress by using the known closest celotex insulated wall for comparison. Distance from beam temp spots would be max 6 inches but at ge same height and i did a few small figure 8's to get an average with the gun.

Untreated the average spot figure across the 7 vertical beams was 2.7 deg C cooler than surrounding celotex walls.
1 coat applied, the average figure across the 7 vertical beams was 0.9 deg C cooler than surrounding celotex walls.
2 coat applied,  the average figure across the 7 vertical beams was 0.7 deg C cooler than surrounding celotex walls.

The little glass spheres (apparently) are the consistency of the lightest flour dust (farnia), only downside is that there is a slightly gritty feel (500 grit paper maybe) to the paint finish Tomorrow i will do the 3rd and final coat which will be a standard emulsion to knock out the gritty layer. I am game to talk about this if anyone wants to as i stand amazed at what it did. I won't get into discussions or justifications re snake oil etc, this stuff works and works well in my scenario and i'd just like to put that out there in a positive light  for anyone with an awkward areas to insulate. I can easily feel a 0.5 degree difference in a room so a 2 degree climb on surface temperature is astonishing. Happy Days! Smiley

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:32:17 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

5.12kw PV system with Solar edge
7.2kwh Pylon tech battery storage
18kwh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kwh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
brackwell

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »

Very interesting. I wonder why we have not heard more of this product.

Presume you are temp measuring with laser gun thermo ?   Just to remove any doubt have you any areas where you have painted only half the surface and therefore have a direct comparison on the same surface.

Ken
pantsmachine

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »

Hey Brackwell, Laser thermo, did the 1/2 same celotexed wall painted and there is an immediate change when passing from treated to untreated. Same distance with gun, same height. 1.1 degree difference. I am that impressed I am buying another two tubs to do the whole room over Winter. I guess it's not that well heard of as it does kind of fall into a natural 'snake oil' slot in the mind, moving on type of thing. I am still playing about with the gun and my admiration grows.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:28:26 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kwh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »

Useful contextual info, thanks Mr Pants!

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
pantsmachine

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »

18kwh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
Tigger

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »

It's no good trying to camouflage that snooker table  Grin

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Moxi

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »

Thanks Pantsmachine,

I wasn't aware of this product but I will be trying it on the reveals of the bedroom windows where we get bridging and some condensation in the winter months.

Moxi
pantsmachine

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 04:39:29 PM »

Nice one Moxi, I hope you see similar improvement.

Well spotted Tigger! Smiley

18kwh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
Fionn

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »

Very interesting, I've heard some positive reviews of "LizardSkins" spray on ceramic thermal insulating paint when used on vans etc also.
However it is very expensive and requires a special sprayer.
Can your product be added to any paint type?
Would you have a link perhaps?
This maybe?
https://thermilate.com/pages/thermalmix

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
pantsmachine

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 09:33:12 PM »

Hey Fionn
My wife and I were out driving in the van knocking about ideas for insulation when we discussed thermal paints etc(what a life!). I must have read about this somewhere or browsed across it as I'm not that clever! I suggested a paint additive that would be pourabe into a 5 ltr pot of our own choice. When we returned to base this one just leapt out of the search engine. I have just bought the last 3 pots currently on Amazon thru the Google link I had. Ebay has it too. Your link is the very stuff. I paid 14.95 for a tub just paid 3x that for the 3 remaining. Plenty out there on the Web though. Some with small discounts for multi tubs. Playing about tonight with the gun made me decide to go for the full room paint. PITA as it's 3 coats in total and the room is huge BUT it's about 80 sqr mtrs of wall that won't be leaching heat so much and it's the room with downstairs hive 2 sensor  so data easy grabbed. Has to be worth a crack just for the experiment! Smiley

P.S For full honesty, I'm not quite right in the head and will happily spend three days painting a room with apparently weird marginal stuff to chase a passive small scale return that might not pay back for decades. I like stuff like that! Smiley

In all seriousness, I'd love to know the energy saved across 80 sqr mtrs area not leaching 1.5 deg average 24/7 365. That's gotta be a few kg's pa co2 not generated?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermalmix-Insulating-Anti-Condensation-Paint-Adhesive/163897454625?epid=1451291851&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item26290cb021:g:cUkAAOSweVtdnIp9
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:36:41 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

18kwh Heater Storage
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
Wood fired cedar hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka garden
Pages: [1]   Go Up