navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Peak Battery Charge question  (Read 1249 times)
r0b53

« on: January 27, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »

Hi all,
I am a new solar user and have a simple question regarding overnight charging of the battery during off peak tariffs. Along with the solar panels and SolarEdge inverter we have a 6.3kVa Solax Triple Power Battery and a Solax X1-AC charger, I'm currently waiting for Octopus to install the smart meter (due end of Feb) so that I can look at their Agile tariff, but in the meantime I have been looking at the Solax charger settings to allow me to charge the battery during these cloudy winter periods during off peak hours but what I have noticed is that when I set the charging period the battery is charged at 3kVa and was just wondering if this high charge rate would have any detrimental effect on the battery life. I appreciate that the 6.3 kVa battery would need a good couple of hours at this rate to reach full charge but was worried about the heat that is being generated during this cycle. Is there a setting that can limit this charge rate or is it OK to force charge the battery everynight at this rate.

Thanks for your time

Regards

Rob
nowty

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »

I don't have one, but I had a quick look through the datasheets and user manuals which you can easily find online if you don't have them to hand.

The datasheet for your battery say max charge/discharge of 30A and recommended charge/discharge of 25A. Your system has a higher nominal voltage than most at 100v so that's a max charge/discharge rate of 3kW and a recommended charge/discharge rate of 2.5kW.

Your AC charger says its rated at 3kW discharge (if its the 3.0 version) and charge rate of 2.5kW (all models) so best not to exceed that for max life of the unit. fingers crossed!

So yes it would be better to limit the charge rate to 2.5kW, you can do this in the advanced settings, the user manual explains how to do this. If you don't know what you are doing, ask the installer.

Note - Your battery is 6.3kWh in size as that's a capacity term. I have used W's (real power) and not VA's (apparent power) as if we assume power factor is 1, they are the same and most people understand W's and most do not understand VA's as its complicated. wackoold

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
280,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
r0b53

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 01:39:22 PM »

Hi nowty,

many thanks for your most helpful reply, I will have a dig round the manual but will needto contact the installer as they've not given me the full supervisor passwords.

Thanks again

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: