navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMA WB6000A stopped working completely No lights Nothing !!!  (Read 1765 times)
camillitech

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 06:57:43 AM »

Hi

.I also checked the fuse & voltage from the grid fuse box side & it was approx 246v right into the Windy boy & when the isolator is switched off as you would expect

I thought with AC available even if there were no DC at all the inverter should display when tapping the screen?
Even if there is a DC problem or not?
Iain

Only if the DC voltage has been  high enough to wake it up first, just been out and tapped my screen with AC voltage present, it's dead, zilch, nada, off  Wink I have the same turbine coupled to the same inverter. During the day I leave the AC off via a 3 pole switch that connects 3kW of AC coupled PV to the same AC source (my own 'off grid' mini grid. At night (if wind is forecast) I switch the 3 pole switch to from PV to WT so I see this on many occasions. Admittedly it's not a scenario that is common amongst grid tied wind turbines but in my off grid set up it works really well allowing me to have some 15kW of potential AC sources running safely through a 6kW 'off grid' inverter.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Graejake

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »

Got my sparky to check today & power going into the WBPB was about 170v ac & coming out as 50vdc So I am awaiting a quote from SMA for a replacement BOX. He confirmed that the voltage from the turbine was the same through all three wires.
Alan D

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2020, 10:19:32 PM »

Just checking.
The 170 vols was measured between any two of the wires coming from the turbine
and not measured from any wire coming from the turbine to earth or neutral.

Is there any heat that you can feel coming from the turbine dump load / heater
while the turbine is spinning.

If you disconnect the three wires coming from the turbine and tie the ends together

Warning only do this when the turbine is not rotating. And your happy playing with electric things.

does the turbine still turn. when it gets windy. ?

The three phase rectifier inside the dump load can be changed easily . I will be surprised if this has failed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:45:41 PM by Alan D » Logged
heatherhopper

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2020, 12:37:07 AM »

This seems a strange failure mode.
Stupid question perhaps - but you have had sufficient wind and Turbine rpm to actually generate a start up I presume? Depending on your spring configuration/condition you need 4-8 mph just to get the thing turning. Depends on your exact location of course but Met Office observations for your general area on Wed show you struggling to sustain those sort of speeds.

WBPBs are not cheap. Like Paul I have had a no quibble replacement item from SMA, but only with a few years on the clock. Hopefully you may get similar generous service.

Having poked around inside the WBPB I would not like to attempt a repair - to much circuitry even if armed with reference material. You could find some whizz for a refurbishment I suppose. Scruff where are you?

If you do need an alternative replacement you could do worse than try Voltsys - very helpful and well able to make custom jobs. No idea on price comparison though.

Good luck

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
camillitech

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2020, 05:52:31 AM »

If you do need an alternative replacement you could do worse than try Voltsys - very helpful and well able to make custom jobs. No idea on price comparison though.

Another alternative is the Aurora Wind Interface by ABB, not as smooth as the WBPB but does the job and sometimes pops up on eBay very cheaply compared to the WBPB. I've used them in the past and still have the smaller version wired into my 3.2kW Proven which is out of commission for the summer. Whilst the operation is more of a crowbar and hammer approach it does have the advantage of diverting straight to the brake resistor if no AC is present. This means that if you leave your turbine out of commission for long periods like me, then it doesn't allow the blades to spin unless it's very windy and then only slowly.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Alan D

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »

I can post a three phase to direct current rectifier for test / inverter start up.
To prove if the rectifier / load diverter box has failed.
This is not a fix. It is only to test that the inverter starts up.
There could be alternator winding problems.
There could be turbine slip ring / Carbon brush problems.

Connect it up when the turbine is not rotating. / Isolated.
You need to disconnect the thee phase input to the control box ( Two black cables and green / yellow cable )
on the bottom left hand side.
Connect these to the three phase terminals on the bridge rectifier.
You need to disconnect the red and black cables output from the control box to the inverter input.
Connect these to the red and black ( +  -  ) terminals on the bridge rectifier.

Regards

Alan

Graejake

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2020, 07:26:08 AM »

Hi All,
Just got my Exchange WB PB yesterday from SMA Germany, Fitted it last night But No wind So woke this morning to pretty Strong winds here in North East Scotland & was eager to see if my system was working & As I opened the door to where all the Wind turbine Gubbens were I was so relieved to see the WB inverter had AWOKEN again Phew 😅.
So it was definitely Something inside the WBPB that had failed but I suppose after nearly 7 years & 73,000kw I canít really complain.

The Guys I spoke to at SMA are very helpful & said that once I had Fitted the WBPB & I was happy then organise Payment & they would pick up the failed One So still a bit of trust in the World.

I would just like to thank all you Kind People On the Forum that took the time & pointed me in the General Direction to get the issue resolved.

Thank you
Graeme.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: