navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Octopus Agile  (Read 11708 times)
scobo

« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 07:59:23 PM »

Got a slightly better deal on gas the other day too. Exclusive Octopus 12M Fixed, 2.39p a unit and 17.85p standing charge.

How did you get the lower gas rate?

Just emailed them and requested it.
You can choose any gas tariff they offer and combine it with Go or Agile. You don't need to stick with the standard gas tariff.

System size : 2.88kw
Panels : 12xREC 240W
Inverter : Fronius IG30
7.2kwh Pylontech batteries & Lux ac controller
Renault Zoe 40kwh R110
Zappi 2 EV charger
RIT

South West London

« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »

Got a slightly better deal on gas the other day too. Exclusive Octopus 12M Fixed, 2.39p a unit and 17.85p standing charge.

How did you get the lower gas rate?

Just emailed them and requested it.
You can choose any gas tariff they offer and combine it with Go or Agile. You don't need to stick with the standard gas tariff.

I'm aware of that, but where do they offer such a low rate?

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
scobo

« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »

I'm aware of that, but where do they offer such a low rate?

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Renault Zoe 40kwh R110
Zappi 2 EV charger
RIT

South West London

« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »

Thanks, I guess they are making small variations to gas prices based on location as the best I can see is 2.48p/kWh.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Join the fight against human malware at https://stats.foldingathome.org/team/259956

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
pantsmachine

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2020, 01:39:39 AM »

2.16p pkwh gas in the north.

I am currently offshore Egypt so viewing system remotely. Bought a 3rd battery which will allow an increase of discharge rate to 3.6kw. Also allow more variance in how much I charge at night and pre 4-7pm window of pain. Noticing that solar has increased to around 8kwh per day and too much of that is being dumped into hot water tank.

Will change battery charge timings when batt 3 installed next week on my return to base. All good so far and enjoying Agile.
Cheers, p.s retiring after this job, oil industry bothers me now.

5.12kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tub
scobo

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2020, 07:07:20 AM »

Agile prices seem to be increasing again in our area, probably due to less wind power now the storms have past.
It's 34p at 6pm tonight and only been below 5p a couple of nights for a few hours lately so I think I'll stick with Go until next autumn/winter.

Renault Zoe 40kwh R110
Zappi 2 EV charger
kdmnx

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2020, 07:34:45 AM »

Agile prices seem to be increasing again in our area, probably due to less wind power now the storms have past.
It's 34p at 6pm tonight and only been below 5p a couple of nights for a few hours lately so I think I'll stick with Go until next autumn/winter.

It is the standing charge that gets you on GO. However the majority of days “go” gives you cheaper overnight electric than “agile”, with no 4-7 peak to contend with, and you can set-and-forget all of your timers.

I like the idea of “agile” and who wouldn’t want negative pricing. But it doesn’t make sense when you think about it.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
azps

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2020, 07:36:27 AM »

I like the idea of “agile” and who wouldn’t want negative pricing. But it doesn’t make sense when you think about it.

Really? Why not?

scobo

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2020, 07:43:37 AM »

It is the standing charge that gets you on GO. However the majority of days “go” gives you cheaper overnight electric than “agile”, with no 4-7 peak to contend with, and you can set-and-forget all of your timers.

The difference is only 4p a day so £14 a year.
Go still works out better for us at the moment. We averaged 5.99p last month.

Renault Zoe 40kwh R110
Zappi 2 EV charger
kdmnx

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »

Really? Why not?

For the reasons listed in my answer!
  • Most days you get cheaper overnight power on "go"
  • There is no early evening peak on "go"
  • On "go" you can set-and-forget all your timers

dan_b

SW London

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »

It depends.  I was on Go for a bit, but with my Powervault, I could only recharge 2.8kWh back into the battery at the lower rate, which then didn't have a big enough impact on the main day rate, at least in the darker months.  Agile is a bit more flexible (ha ha).    Mind you with Agile I have also had quite a few nights where it's made sense to use the timed boost function on my ImmerSUN to get some very cheap hot water - so that's been useful too.

Maybe Go Faster could work for me, I might try that if I get bored of the more hands-on management that Agile requires with my current hardware.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
kdmnx

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2020, 12:07:12 PM »

It depends.  I was on Go for a bit, but with my Powervault, I could only recharge 2.8kWh back into the battery at the lower rate, which then didn't have a big enough impact on the main day rate, at least in the darker months.  Agile is a bit more flexible (ha ha).    Mind you with Agile I have also had quite a few nights where it's made sense to use the timed boost function on my ImmerSUN to get some very cheap hot water - so that's been useful too.

Maybe Go Faster could work for me, I might try that if I get bored of the more hands-on management that Agile requires with my current hardware.

What is the rate of charge for your Powervault? I'm looking to upgrade from 2x to 5x PylonTech batteries (11kWh usable power) before the winter, I'll be able to charge them from empty to full in c. 3hrs!

greentangerine

Osmington, Dorset

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »

I've been on Go now for almost a month and the four hours cheap rate has been sufficient on most days to get my batteries back up to 100% from whatever capacity remaining they were at when it kicks in at 00:30.

If they are discharged to 20% (which is as low as my inverter will let them go), then they'll get back up to 75% by 04:30.

2.940 kWP (Sharp ND210/Solis 4G 2.5)
2.115 kWP (Kinve KV235-60P/SB1600)
2.000 kWP (Sharp ND250/SB1600)
65 x Ø58mm SunnPro/Torrent T280 RE OV/SunSpeed2 205
11kW Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 10,000 BTU
SoFar ME3000SP/Pylon US2000 19.2kW
immerSUN 2
[url=http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=4602&sid=195
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2020, 02:05:37 PM »

The max charge rate on my Powervault is only 700W - so in 4 hours it can only suck in 2.8kWh.  It'll discharge at 1100W max - not sure why the two are different.
It's their old washing-machine styled Powervault with 4kWh of lead acid batteries, so not an all singing all dancing lithium unit.

I have half wondered if someone on here fancies seeing if it can be bodged to have a few more batteries jammed into the chassis...

What is the rate of charge for your Powervault? I'm looking to upgrade from 2x to 5x PylonTech batteries (11kWh usable power) before the winter, I'll be able to charge them from empty to full in c. 3hrs!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
kdmnx

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2020, 03:10:18 PM »

The max charge rate on my Powervault is only 700W - so in 4 hours it can only suck in 2.8kWh.  It'll discharge at 1100W max - not sure why the two are different.
It's their old washing-machine styled Powervault with 4kWh of lead acid batteries, so not an all singing all dancing lithium unit.

I have half wondered if someone on here fancies seeing if it can be bodged to have a few more batteries jammed into the chassis...

Lead-acid has a poor round-trip efficiency. Modern LiFePO4 batteries can get c.95% round-trip efficiency.

You can always add more batteries but your 700W charge rate is the deal-breaker. Modern systems charge/discharge at 3600W typically. The 700W in 1100W out isn’t bad for storing excess solar, or even economy 7 grid power. But for the short periods of cheap power on “go” and even more so on “agile” you really need to be chugging back the power. Some people are sucking in 20kW!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: