navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Octopus Agile  (Read 11707 times)
azps

« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2020, 06:57:16 PM »

I like the idea of “agile” and who wouldn’t want negative pricing. But it doesn’t make sense when you think about it.

Really? Why not?

For the reasons listed in my answer!
  • Most days you get cheaper overnight power on "go"
  • There is no early evening peak on "go"
  • On "go" you can set-and-forget all your timers

The lack of early evening peak on "go" is a good reason why "go" doesn't make sense to me.

Agile seems to make more sense to me than pretty much any other tariff on the market, but then I can't help but see these things from a system perspective more than from my perspective as a single residential customer. Go seems like a tariff from the early 1980s - it's basically a rebadged, slimmed-down Economy 7, right? Maybe it's useful as a transition tariff - maybe we don't have enough smart appliances yet, so customers are still tied to clumsy timers rather than smart triggers fed by dynamic tariff.

kdmnx

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2020, 08:04:31 PM »

I like the idea of “agile” and who wouldn’t want negative pricing. But it doesn’t make sense when you think about it.

Really? Why not?

The lack of early evening peak on "go" is a good reason why "go" doesn't make sense to me.

Agile seems to make more sense to me than pretty much any other tariff on the market, but then I can't help but see these things from a system perspective more than from my perspective as a single residential customer. Go seems like a tariff from the early 1980s - it's basically a rebadged, slimmed-down Economy 7, right? Maybe it's useful as a transition tariff - maybe we don't have enough smart appliances yet, so customers are still tied to clumsy timers rather than smart triggers fed by dynamic tariff.

I get all that. I’m attracted to agile too for the same reasons. However the reality is that “go” is cheaper and more convenient.

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2020, 10:53:51 PM »

All of that is true but it’s the battery system I have and unlike a few years ago I don’t have spare cash flow to chuck at something better so I need to just make the most of what I’ve got.

Lead-acid has a poor round-trip efficiency. Modern LiFePO4 batteries can get c.95% round-trip efficiency.

You can always add more batteries but your 700W charge rate is the deal-breaker. Modern systems charge/discharge at 3600W typically. The 700W in 1100W out isn’t bad for storing excess solar, or even economy 7 grid power. But for the short periods of cheap power on “go” and even more so on “agile” you really need to be chugging back the power. Some people are sucking in 20kW!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
pantsmachine

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2020, 09:10:52 AM »

Really? Why not?

I get all that. I’m attracted to agile too for the same reasons. However the reality is that “go” is cheaper and more convenient.

Time will tell. I am having a 3 month experiment with agile and will see how it plays out before deciding which is preferable. Dan, it's all a learning curve! I picked up my 3rd battery for 610 on ebay 2nd hand. Each incremental step in the RE process leads to a mini enlightenment. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:16:47 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

5.12kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tub
scobo

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »

I think that if you have batteries then Go is the way to, er, go.   whistlie
Certainly in our area at least, it seems to be cheaper during the Go period the vast majority of the time.

System size : 2.88kw
Panels : 12xREC 240W
Inverter : Fronius IG30
7.2kwh Pylontech batteries & Lux ac controller
Renault Zoe 40kwh R110
Zappi 2 EV charger
nowty

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2020, 09:42:01 AM »

I also think that GO is generally better for me, but it might be better for me to switch to AGILE in order to combine it with Octopus OUTGOING. But as I am currently on the GO FASTER trial and getting a credit of £5 per month I am going to wait till that's over before trying something else.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
290,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »

Indeed, if you're not learning you're not growing, or something.
I am increasingly wondering about whether it might be possible to hack/bodge more batteries into my PowerVault though.  Anyone got any experience with that? Anyone interested in helping me do it?!

Time will tell. I am having a 3 month experiment with agile and will see how it plays out before deciding which is preferable. Dan, it's all a learning curve! I picked up my 3rd battery for 610 on ebay 2nd hand. Each incremental step in the RE process leads to a mini enlightenment. Smiley

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2020, 11:12:41 AM »

Lead-acid has a poor round-trip efficiency. Modern LiFePO4 batteries can get c.95% round-trip efficiency.

Kdmnx ,

that is only partial true  and a welcome and  common misinformation
Each situation is different , so  i just can"t  just say , that a 500 $  per kWh stored   Li-something  is more efficient than a 50$ lead acid one

In the end its the cost per kWh  one can squeeze  out of a storage idea , and sofar  i have not seen  Li-named products to  convince me of their efficiency

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
kdmnx

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »

Indeed, if you're not learning you're not growing, or something.
I am increasingly wondering about whether it might be possible to hack/bodge more batteries into my PowerVault though.  Anyone got any experience with that? Anyone interested in helping me do it?!

The "hacking more batteries in" part is easy and fun! I've done it with UPSs for years.

Step 1: Figure out how your batteries are arranged. Typically they will be in 24V or 48V strings. Higher-end setups tend to be bespoke voltages such as 60V or 84V. I have no idea how your PowerVault is equipped.

Step 2: Aquire a MUCH bigger battery bank in the same voltage. Traction batteries are by far the best. They're always for sale on Ebay. Difficult to transport though. OR you can buy 12V "Solar" or "Marine" batteries and build your own battery bank.

A typical "700W" UPS might have 2x 7A 12V batteries. Hacking in 2x 110Ah batteries is a very common mod. You can hack in as many pairs of of 110Ah (or whatever) batteries as you like. In this UPS example, the charger is usually very weedy and can take several days (or even weeks!) to recover from an outage.

Your low charge/discharge rate makes this project easier because it makes the cables required much more sensible. I can see your setup being good for storing solar generated during the day to cover your overnight "baseload" or even from a sunny day to use on a dull day.  

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:39:06 AM by kdmnx » Logged

dan_b

SW London

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2020, 01:42:32 PM »

I might take the lid off and take some photos of the set-up - just for research purposes of course

4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
kdmnx

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

I might take the lid off and take some photos of the set-up - just for research purposes of course

Cool!

Things to look for:
  • How many batteries?
  • Capacity of the batteries?
  • How are they wired? (series/parallel)

A multimeter is helpful if you have one...

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2020, 07:25:34 AM »

Traction batteries are by far the best. They're always for sale on Ebay
Oh , but i suggest to be carefull to buy there  and is
"hacking more batteries in"
a common practice ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:08:50 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Fintray

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2020, 05:39:38 PM »

Just got onto Agile and Agile Outgoing today so looking forward to some lower bills!  Smiley

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
andrewellis

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »

I'm so jealous of the lot of you. I can't get any working smart meters up my hill.

6.48kw Solar PV JA (300W)Panels, SolarEdge inverter
Borehole -> Nibe F1255 12kw GSHP -> Radiators
Nissan Leaf
Justme

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »

I'm so jealous of the lot of you. I can't get any working smart meters up my hill.

Do they have a sim card in them?

What network?

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
2 x Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70
Cerbo GX & GX 50 touch
BMV 700
6kva genny
48v 1000ah
Grid Possibly coming soon