navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting insulated pipes beneath the floor  (Read 2291 times)
Countrypaul

« on: January 02, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

We are having an ASHP installed next week, the pipes will travel a few meters underground and then about 15m under the house before ciming up through the floor. During renovation I put 2 x 28mm pipes  with 25mm of insulation through the floor in anticipation of this, the pipes only come though the floor by about 3m but it made sense to put them in before the floor insulation and screed. The insulation on these pipes has already been attached by, presumably, little furry creatures. Given we are likely to have 2 x 15m lengths beneath the floor, most of which will be too low for me to get to, I wondered how can we protect the inulation (and pipes if they are plastic I suppose). This must be a common problem, but I have not seen any products designed to protect the insulation/pipes, can anyone poit me in the right direction? Any other suggestions?
Iain

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »

Hi
Can you get 110mm soil pipe under the floor to protect the pipes. Will protect and help insulate as well, foam seal the ends,

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
marshman

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »

As Ian says you need to lay them in a solid ducting sealed at the ends with a hard cap, foam will not do, the critters can  eat through it, they could then carry on tunnelling into the insulation.  They love some types of foam insulation and some types of plastic, apparently it tastes "sweet" to them. 

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
paul149

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »

+1 on expanding foam alone Not being good enough to keep out rodents ( remember rats can chew through concrete if required!) I filled a recent access hole with stainless steel mesh before filling with foam.

3.5 kWp (14 x Sanyo H250E01 + SB3000TL) 225' (SW) at 35' Pitch Lat 51.30' (Bristol) Installed cost 2.63/Wp (Nov 2011) now with solarimmersion and 250L unvented dhw (Almost Zero gas input for DHW from Apr to mid Sep)
Countrypaul

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »

One problem with the  soil pipe method is that the route is definitely not straight and has a number of bends - in areas I can't get to easily.

But following that suggestion, I have found this: https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/perforated-land-drain-coil-pipe-100mm-x-25m.html

which might well do. Given that there is highly likely to be a dip or two in the pipe, using an unperforated one might just lead to all the pipes (and insulation) being under water. A perforated one should easily allow any water to drain out (I know its meant the other way) and given the gound is free draining as well as half way up a hill I don't think that would be a problem.

Would the perforations be an invite to rodents to enlarge and again access?

I have also read about covering the insulation in aluminium tape being highly successful - perhaps both mght be an option as redoing this is unlikely barrring significant damage.
TT

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »

I would use the non perforated flex duct, far more protection, secure it with all round band.
Countrypaul

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »

I would use the non perforated flex duct, far more protection, secure it with all round band.

Can I ask what you mean by "secure it with all round band"?
TT

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »

https://www.swaonline.co.uk/cable-fixings/fixing-bands/all-round-fixing-band

This is all round band.

Where you can secure the duct to a joist/wall
Countrypaul

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »

https://www.swaonline.co.uk/cable-fixings/fixing-bands/all-round-fixing-band

This is all round band.

Where you can secure the duct to a joist/wall

Ok thanks, did not know that is what is is called.

Not sure it is going to be possible to fix it to anything, given for most part the space is too shallow to crawl under. It might be the end can be fastened, but even then it may not be against the wall irn order to minimise sharp bends in the pipework.
TT

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 07:10:59 PM »

Add a dwang at the floor joist to give you something to fix to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: